Augmentin on Cycle

I am mid cycle (inc. orals) and have just been given augmentin for a deep cut. Is this safe to take while on orals or should I drop the orals?

Grateful or any info!

is that not an antibiotic? I think you should be fine

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
is that not an antibiotic? I think you should be fine[/quote]

Yeah, it’s an antibiotic. Just wasn’t sure about liver toxicity? (I am not educated at all with medicinal stuff so humour me)

amoxicillin and something else if i remember right…

[quote]Ned wrote:
amoxicillin and something else if i remember right…[/quote]

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, it is 500mg amoxicillin and 125mg clavulanic acid.

it’s probably not the best thing in the world but if you need to do it there’s no point worrying about it.

I doubt it’ll do you much harm

How long is the antibiotic course?

What orals are you on?

How long have you been on them?

Are you taking anything to support liver function at this time?

Did you get pre-cycle blood work? If so, how did it look?

Unfortunately, Augmentin is the most widely implicated antibiotic in cases of drug-induced liver injury, with the clavulanate moiety being the dipshit instigator. What is troubling about this is that it is often difficult to diagnose, as symptoms may appear months after the course has been completed.

Not to alarm you with this, though – it is not a hugely common phenomenon and MOST cases resolve benignly within a few weeks. The major risk factors for adverse events are prolonged/repeated therapies and being old, so you should be all set with that.

As I’m not a medical professional with your chart in front of me, I am not going to potentially influence your health by saying, “it’s statistically unlikely anything bad will happen… you’ll be fine, brah.” I’m sure you realize that the smartest thing to do would be to stop the orals at least until the prescription has been burned through, but it’s your call/liver.

I will recommend you at least buy some high-quality probiotics so you don’t waste your cycle with constant GI distress, though.