T Nation

Audi A4 or S4 Owners

Looking for some input from people that have experience with them. Hows the Quattro in the snow? Hows the reliability? I’m looking to purchase one 2000 and above. Some fucker outbid me on Ebay for a nice Imola Yellow 2001 S4 this past weekend!

Not an A4 / S4 owner, but a fan of sport compacts. Also, not an expert, but here are some opinions…

Pretty significant differences between the A4 and S4 (at least, the later models). Probably be best to first decide what it is you want as far as performance (and subsequent cost).

If I were to get one, I’d definitely go with Quattro. That much is certain.

As far as reliability, well, that is hit or miss. I’ve known several Audi / VW owners. Some had problems, others didn’t. I have also owned a late model VW myself (which are pretty much the same car engineering-wise) and I personally had all sorts of small un-diagnosable problems (which eventually led me to trade the thing in).

The issue with Audi is when it does break, it will be pretty expensive to fix (unless under warranty).

I can’t help but really like the S4’s and even some of the higher end A4’s. Great looking cars. And if you get a good one, very strong performance.

I had an '03 A4 (just came off lease so I traded). It was great. Handled perfectly in the snow. I couldn’t get it to spin a 360 to save my life. Quattro is the shit. Got any other questions about them let me know.

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:
Not an A4 / S4 owner, but a fan of sport compacts. Also, not an expert, but here are some opinions…

Pretty significant differences between the A4 and S4 (at least, the later models). Probably be best to first decide what it is you want as far as performance (and subsequent cost).

If I were to get one, I’d definitely go with Quattro. That much is certain.

As far as reliability, well, that is hit or miss. I’ve known several Audi / VW owners. Some had problems, others didn’t. I have also owned a late model VW myself (which are pretty much the same car engineering-wise) and I personally had all sorts of small un-diagnosable problems (which eventually led me to trade the thing in).

The issue with Audi is when it does break, it will be pretty expensive to fix (unless under warranty).

I can’t help but really like the S4’s and even some of the higher end A4’s. Great looking cars. And if you get a good one, very strong performance.[/quote]

I’ve driven both but not in the snow. AN A4 could be brought up to surpass an S4 but in the long run they end up being about the same price.

My last car was a BMW 330I HP. That car was nice as all hell. It handled like a gem, which is something I’m looking for. The A4’s with a sport package and an S4 are on par with it handling wise.

The S4 is great, wether you’re looking for performance or looks. The A4 is fine as well, but the S4 is a more sporty improvement on it. The quattro handles extremly well on any surface, and I’ve never heard of anyone having problems with one-I would go for a slightly older model (around 2000 maybe) because the electronics have been known to act up in the newer german cars, more of a BMW problem though.

Might be a difference in the availability of service/spare parts between USA and Switzerland, but over here it’s extremly popular.

I can’t comment specifically on the A4, but I had a 2000 A6 from 2000-2003, and I assume the Quattro AWD system is the same they’d use on the A4, although the weight distribution is probably a bit different from the A4 to A6.

Anyway, the A6 Quattro was awesome in the snow, which it got into plenty of in PA.

I had 2 seperate sets of wheels/tires though, and used winter-specific tires in the appropriate months, which made it all the better in the snow.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
I can’t comment specifically on the A4, but I had a 2000 A6 from 2000-2003, and I assume the Quattro AWD system is the same they’d use on the A4, although the weight distribution is probably a bit different from the A4 to A6.

Anyway, the A6 Quattro was awesome in the snow, which it got into plenty of in PA.

I had 2 seperate sets of wheels/tires though, and used winter-specific tires in the appropriate months, which made it all the better in the snow.[/quote]

Yeah, the system is pretty much the same. An A6 twin turbo is also an option for me. Manual ofcourse…

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
An A6 twin turbo is also an option for me.
[/quote]

That’s fucking bad-ass…

Yeah, I’ve driven an A6… the quattro is one of the best handling cars I’ve driven. Its not many… but it handles extremely well. You’re able to tell from just sitting in it.

As for snow, I’ve never driven it in the snow, but I’ve been in it in the snow. It handles just as well.

I drive a 2000 A6 2.7T (Bi-turbo) Quattro. It’s a great car but make sure you maintain a warranty with any Audi vehicles. Also make sure your mechanic is an Audi expert. They’re full of precision components which gets you the performance, but is does come at a price when they need service.

Get one of these. Wholy crap!

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/Audi_A4/RS_4.html

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/Audi_A4/RS_4.html [/quote]

Yeah? …just like that?

LOL

That is one of the most gorgeous cars I’ve seen in a long ass time, though.

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/Audi_A4/RS_4.html [/quote]

I’d get an M5 if I was going to spend that money, or a last generation Viper GTS.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:

I’d get an M5 if I was going to spend that money[/quote]

Exxxactly, good man.

However, those upper-end Audi’s are freakin’ beautiful for sure…

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
LowfatMatt wrote:

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/Audi_A4/RS_4.html

I’d get an M5 if I was going to spend that money, or a last generation Viper GTS.[/quote]

I’m an AWD nut. Admittedly, I don’t know too much about Bimmers. I know they offer some AWD, but the M5 is RWD, correct?

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

I’m an AWD nut. Admittedly, I don’t know too much about Bimmers. I know they offer some AWD, but the M5 is RWD, correct?[/quote]

Correct. The only Bimmers that have AWD are their “X” models.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
LowfatMatt wrote:

I’m an AWD nut. Admittedly, I don’t know too much about Bimmers. I know they offer some AWD, but the M5 is RWD, correct?

Correct. The only Bimmers that have AWD are their “X” models.
[/quote]

So, I guess that might not be the best option, considering he wants it to be good in snow. I’d love RWD too, but taking one of those up snowboarding? Hmmm… I think not.

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

So, I guess that might not be the best option, considering he wants it to be good in snow. I’d love RWD too, but taking one of those up snowboarding? Hmmm… I think not.[/quote]

Oh shut up with your reality-based thinking. M5’s rule!

quattro isn’t just awesome in snow , it’s awesome everywhere. dry, wet, dirt, gravel. prolly what i like best about it is the ability to launch into traffic without wheelspin on any surface/grade/angle.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
LowfatMatt wrote:

So, I guess that might not be the best option, considering he wants it to be good in snow. I’d love RWD too, but taking one of those up snowboarding? Hmmm… I think not.

Oh shut up with your reality-based thinking. M5’s rule![/quote]

They are nice… I’ll grant you that. But unless it was at least my second car, I would not have a RWD car here in Colorado. And there again, that’s just me. You see people driving them in the snow all the time around the city. But up in the mountains… well, that’s another story.