Attn: T-Nation Experts/Scientists

T-Nation/Biotest Admin,

I when pondering the new Biotest nano-dispersion gel I formulated a question that I couldn't answer.  Since the nano-dispersion gel has transdermal capabilities would it be better to administer it under one's tongue or through the skin so that it can enter the systemic circulation right way?  In other words what effect does this new gel have on first pass (presystemic) elimination (e.g. what happens in the liver)?  Doesn't the new transdermal capability allow for a more reliable transport?  

[quote]mroussell wrote:
T-Nation/Biotest Admin,

I when pondering the new Biotest nano-dispersion gel I formulated a question that I couldn't answer.  Since the nano-dispersion gel has transdermal capabilities would it be better to administer it under one's tongue or through the skin so that it can enter the systemic circulation right way?  In other words what effect does this new gel have on first pass (presystemic) elimination (e.g. what happens in the liver)?  Doesn't the new transdermal capability allow for a more reliable transport?  [/quote]

Good question. The point, however, of the nanodispersion is not to address hepatic metabolism, but rather to address the poor solubility of highly lipophilic compounds in the GI. In other words, we’re working to increase/improve the poor dissolution rate. The ethylcarbonate esters are what are used (in compounds which are susceptible to extensive first-pass metabolism) to address hepatic metabolism.

So, that should clear up a little bit of confusion. That being said, it’s easy to see why transdermal or transmucosal administration will be not only unnecessary, but inferior due to much more limited absorption rates. If we didn’t have the EC esters, you’re absolutely right, the next best routes would be those alternative routes of administration (transdermal or transmucosal).

Thanks Cy. I’m in med school and have been studying pharmacology (specifically drug delivery) so I was just curious about the cutting edge stuff you guys are doing.

Being a 4th year Biotech major makes it real interesting to read some of Cy’s articles. The one that I found most interesting was the explanation of Methoxy-7. Very detailed and very well written. Not that you guys do much hiring, but how’s that work anyway?

[quote]mroussell wrote:
Thanks Cy. I’m in med school and have been studying pharmacology (specifically drug delivery) so I was just curious about the cutting edge stuff you guys are doing.[/quote]

No problem. Unlike some of my friends that are in medical school, at least you’re taking an interest (beyond the classroom) in certain aspects of pharmacology. It’s nice to see that.

[quote]Lotus wrote:
Being a 4th year Biotech major makes it real interesting to read some of Cy’s articles. The one that I found most interesting was the explanation of Methoxy-7. Very detailed and very well written. Not that you guys do much hiring, but how’s that work anyway?[/quote]

Glad you like them, I appreciate the feedback.

The hiring doesn’t take place in a customary fashion. I’m going to assume the moderator will provide you with the contact info for customer service should you want to submit a resume or CV at some point in time.

Some quick biotech humor…if you can answer these correctly, I’ll hire you myself for 0 dollars per year to do nothing. Or, if you’re lucky, -100 dollars (you pay me 100) per year. I like to think I’m funny in a dorky kind of way.

Which smells better? A.) Saccharomyces cerevisiae B) Escherichia coli C) Buffer composed of, for e.g., Triton x-100, SDS, Tris-HCL, etc.) D) My hand

I had the highest transformation efficiency in world history (True or False)

[quote]Cy Willson wrote:

Which smells better? A.) Saccharomyces cerevisiae B) Escherichia coli C) Buffer composed of, for e.g., Triton x-100, SDS, Tris-HCL, etc.) D) My hand[/quote]

LMAO

A and B would smell like ass, but none of the chems in C smell bad (unless you wanted to include mercaptoethanol), and dude, I don’t even wanna know what you’ve been doing with your hand (although I’ll guess it smells like a combo of A,B, and mercaptoethanol).

Cheers

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Cy Willson wrote:

Which smells better? A.) Saccharomyces cerevisiae B) Escherichia coli C) Buffer composed of, for e.g., Triton x-100, SDS, Tris-HCL, etc.) D) My hand

LMAO

A and B would smell like ass, but none of the chems in C smell bad (unless you wanted to include mercaptoethanol), and dude, I don’t even wanna know what you’ve been doing with your hand (although I’ll guess it smells like a combo of A,B, and mercaptoethanol).

Cheers[/quote]

Thanks Dave, you spoiled it! A isn’t bad actually. The answer is actually B and D. Mercaptoethanol smells great, I don’t know what you’re talking about. I would often dab some on me before going out.

Also, I should note that the combination of answer B and answer D, was only after I had shaken your hand, Dave, and along those lines, there were also traces of spermine, putrescine and cadaverine on there, again, after shaking your hand. I would guess what you were doing with your hands, but it’s pretty sickening. Ha! :wink:

Ok, no more dork banter. I’ve displayed my attempt at humor.

Cy,

I did work as an undergraduate doing organic systhensis and I can promise you that your hand cannot smell worse than 3-methlyindole. That stuff is nasty.

My favorite lab was when we had to differential plate sample A and B. We had a list that ranged from E.coli to Listeria to Pseudomonas to…well you get the picture.

By the end of the quarter we didn’t even have to look at the plate anymore to see the colored reaction, or alpha haemolysis etc, we just smelled the damn test tube. Yes we delt with pathogens, but they were the ATCC type that was genetically altered for lab rats like college kids to eat them and not die.

Never did say I tried but I suppose it’d be a good idea.

And transformation rate, well that depends on whether you were actually following the SOP or whether you were just staring at the girl’s tits across the lab bench from you like myself.

I’d like to think my 47% efficiency of the Lac operon using the Lambda phage worked pretty well. Best in my class, although I did umm, do it 5 times. Yep, nothing better than Biotech nerd.

Actually I heard that they first tested the formulas by using one large rectal suppository, which incidentally is how MAG-10 got the moniker “the destroyer”

What do you know about this Cy? :slight_smile: