T Nation

Attn: Long Slow Cardio Fans

More evidence of the obvious. I haven’t checked out the actual study myself, but I tend to believe the conclusions for the most part.

Isn’t there more than one way to skin a cat?

They seem to be implying this is news??? HIIT has been established as superior for quite some time now due to it’s ability to continue burning fat after you stop the exercise.

Unfortunately, once people hear that steady-state (read: easy) cardio burns higher fat%, they lose interest in the truth: The harder something is to accomplish, the more effective it tends to be.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Isn’t there more than one way to skin a cat?[/quote]

Yeah, but try to keep one on a treadmill!

I don’t know man. Read any of Dr. Lonnie’s articles on non-panting cardio. I rather stick with my steady-state for fat burning for now, and use HIIT for another mesocycle.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Isn’t there more than one way to skin a cat?[/quote]

I would love to know the circumstances which this phrase started.

–JB

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
Isn’t there more than one way to skin a cat?

I would love to know the circumstances which this phrase started.

–JB[/quote]

I’m hoping it refers to the gymnastics maneuver “skin the cat” and not this:

Cycling on the hills is fun though.

You can’t train HIIT every day. You’ll overtrain quite quickly.

This means that you need a day or two of rest between HIIT sessions.

Q: What can a person do on those days between HIIT to increase fat loss?

A: Low-intensity cardio

– ElbowStrike

PS: Lonnie Lowery’s also bigger, smarter, and more ripped than you. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
Isn’t there more than one way to skin a cat?

I would love to know the circumstances which this phrase started.

–JB[/quote]

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1395292

Read the Final Results part of this article.

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
You can’t train HIIT every day. You’ll overtrain quite quickly.

This means that you need a day or two of rest between HIIT sessions.

Q: What can a person do on those days between HIIT to increase fat loss?

A: Low-intensity cardio

– ElbowStrike

PS: Lonnie Lowery’s also bigger, smarter, and more ripped than you. :P[/quote]

over train from HIIT?

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
ElbowStrike wrote:
You can’t train HIIT every day. You’ll overtrain quite quickly.

This means that you need a day or two of rest between HIIT sessions.

Q: What can a person do on those days between HIIT to increase fat loss?

A: Low-intensity cardio

– ElbowStrike

PS: Lonnie Lowery’s also bigger, smarter, and more ripped than you. :stuck_out_tongue:

over train from HIIT?[/quote]

Easy, if you’re really pushing yourself with say, sprinting. This combined with heavy leg days can easily overtrain your legs.

I only do 3 days of HIIT a week.

[quote]abcd1234 wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
ElbowStrike wrote:
You can’t train HIIT every day. You’ll overtrain quite quickly.

This means that you need a day or two of rest between HIIT sessions.

Q: What can a person do on those days between HIIT to increase fat loss?

A: Low-intensity cardio

– ElbowStrike

PS: Lonnie Lowery’s also bigger, smarter, and more ripped than you. :stuck_out_tongue:

over train from HIIT?

Easy, if you’re really pushing yourself with say, sprinting. This combined with heavy leg days can easily overtrain your legs.

I only do 3 days of HIIT a week. [/quote]

I agree 100% if HIIT is done correctly all the hel;l out giving everything you have during the high intensity sets it does do a lot of damage etc and you need to recover.

Personally I feel people do one of two things most often they half ass there HIIT or they dont and then dont give it its proper respect and recovery. it ends up effecting you resistance training.

Eric Cressey has touched on the several times. The need for recovery from HIIT and that it is or is supposed to be HIGH INTENSE.

Phill

Whatever you enjoy and are willing to do consistantly, that’s what works best IMHO.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
over train from HIIT?[/quote]

Absolutely.

My HIIT is EDT stair-running. As many flights as possible in 20 minutes.

If I train more than three times per week, it’s a guarantee I’ll catch a cold, flu, or bronchitis.

If I keep the HIIT to 2-3 times per week and do 30 minutes of low-intensity cardio other days, I lose fat faster and recover better than just doing the HIIT.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
Whatever you enjoy and are willing to do consistantly, that’s what works best IMHO.[/quote]

I agree here 4 sure and goal dependent Me doing strongman it does me no damn good to go for a long Jog and beat the hell out of my knees feet etc. But short sprints, dragg a sled carry things flip tires etc… as well as LONG just walks are great for conditioning and recovery.

Phill