Attn: ID Creationists

[quote]BBriere wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]BBriere wrote:
I have no idea. I thought I was kinda stretching putting theistic evolution in a category opposite of Darwinian evolution. They basically believe the same thing as Darwinists only believe God guided the process rather than just random mutations.

Ok, so I cheated and looked up this website. It gives six views on creation though doesn’t mention Intelligent Design. So maybe you could say there are seven views?

http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blog/2009/05/six-views-on-the-creationevolution-debate/

It’s kind of interesting the Francis Collins (head of the Humane Genome Project and devout Roman Catholic) believes in evolution and does not believe in a literal interpretation of Adam and Eve. [/quote]

From a Catholic view there are two things that need to be believed/held (I forget), no matter where you sit on the spectrum: God created the universe out of nothing (where that be the big bang theory, which I think is awesome because it was partly came up with in a trench during war by a future catholic priest who often corrected the artillery officers in their calculations in aiming their guns) and he supernaturally infused the soul into the first human.

[/quote]

I think those are good starting points. I respect everyone’s point of view on how the earth or humans came about, but it is a bit bothersome that some groups push their 6 literal days, 10,000 years belief as if you are a sinner if you don’t accept it. Genesis was not a science textbook.

I of course wasn’t alive in the 1930s (not that you know anyway), but it had feel like a big victory when Georges Lemaitre correctly calculated what Fred Hoyle deridingly called the “Big Bang.” Even Einstein refuted the idea at first. More than the scientific implications, it had some major philosophical implications in that the universe was found to have come from nothing and had no cause agent that science could explain. Ex nihilio obviously. It’s funny that admitting this even turned Einstein from atheist to agnostic. [/quote]

Yeah, it also comes down to what has to be believed and what has to be held. Fundamentalist have a tendency to put huge burdens on people, spiritually, intellectually, &c. Not saying they are hypocrites because they put the same burden on themselves (usually), but it just doesn’t make sense that they require you to believe all this stuff when plainly we do not know. It’s okay to know something for heaven sakes.

I wonder what it would have been like to be with the Monsignor when he finally crunched out the last of his formula for the big bang. Then to walk over to Einstein’s office and be like yo homey, guess what I just chalked up: THE BEGINNING OF THE UNIVERSE!