T Nation

Attn: Baldies

I shaved my head completely bald. Bic’d it. I feel as though I did a pretty damn good job on it. But I completely underestimated the power of the sun on my head. Holy shit it’s burned.

Anyone else go through this?

Bald is cool. Burned bald is horrible.

Ahahaha, dude, hats and sunscreen are you best friend now. But after a while of your scalp being exposed to the sun, it will toughen up. However, remember to cover it for any prolonged exposure, sunscreen or not, or else you’ll get burned bad. Trust me, I know.

And a peeling bald head is DEFINITELY not cool.

This is important. Don’t shave until after you peel.

I just shaved my dome yesterday. I use a good lotion/sunscreen but I’ll have to remember to be careful until I get some color up there. I’ve started carrying a bandana with me just in case.

Thanks for the “heads” up!

[quote]Florida Titan wrote:
I shaved my head completely bald. Bic’d it. I feel as though I did a pretty damn good job on it. But I completely underestimated the power of the sun on my head. Holy shit it’s burned.

Bald is cool. Burned bald is horrible.[/quote]

You should take a pic and add it here. Not to take pleasure in your pain but it must be a sight. I have my head shaved (almost bald) and I forget when I go on vacation or to the beach. I put on sunscreen everywhere but my head and I end up with an intense sunburn followed by intense peeling which is embarrassing. Take BigRagoo’s advice and keep always remember to protect it.

I hear ya man. When I’m out for prolonged periods in the sun I appoint people I’m with to watch my head for me!

Hey Dre, you head is starting to look like a tomato!
Ok, guess it’s time to put on a hat! haha

[/quote]

No.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Florida Titan wrote:

No.[/quote]

Oh, you and all your melanocytes…

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
Ahahaha, dude, hats and sunscreen are you best friend now. But after a while of your scalp being exposed to the sun, it will toughen up. However, remember to cover it for any prolonged exposure, sunscreen or not, or else you’ll get burned bad. Trust me, I know.

And a peeling bald head is DEFINITELY not cool.[/quote]

Haha, this happened to me once. I notice people tended to stay away from me. I wonder why.

[quote]Mister T. wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:

And a peeling bald head is DEFINITELY not cool.

Haha, this happened to me once. I notice people tended to stay away from me. I wonder why.[/quote]

I know. I looked like a leper.

Aside from putting on sunblock from now on.

I typically look for a lotion that has spf15. Gillette makes one for postshave that has spf 15 I believe.

Definitely wear sunscreen. I was on vacation one time and I broke a bone in my foot and burned my scalp in the same day. The pain in my scalp was worse than my foot.

It sucked because all that happened on the first day.

Three weeks ago, I took the bike out for a four hour cruise. About two hours in, I noticed that my arms were getting pretty red. Stopped to put some SPF 50 on, but the damage was done. My dome looked like a giant tomatoe.

Sadly, only part of it has peeled, so I now have spots on my head that make me look like I am a leper. Thankfully, I am 6’6" and most people cannot see it.

Put the sunblock on before you go under the sun for any prolonged time period.

Shaving your head with even a slight sunburn from the day before is a painful event!

Throw a hat or a banadana in the trunk as well-just in case. Your head will tan up even when you have high spf sunscreen on - so avoid the burn. Peeling is bad enough but skin cancer on your cranium would be way worse.

One of my “cures” for a peeling head is to just rub my head (not that head you perverts) in the shower until all the loose skin is off. It takes a while but it seems to work.

Either hat, sunblock or move to Ireland!!

I have been shaving my head for about ten years now. I still get a good burn once in a while when I’m unprepared.

One St. Patrick’s Day, I was involved in a parade with a company I worked for. I thought it would be cool to paint shamrocks on my head.

This was my first day of the year in the sun for any length of time. About half way through the parade I realized my blunder.

I had white shamrocks on a red head for 2 weeks. Totally sweet.

I tore up the aloe plant in my back yard yesterday and covered my head in it. I’ve been wearing a bandana too.

From what you guys are telling me I really hope it doesn’t peel.

[quote]cueball wrote:
I have been shaving my head for about ten years now. I still get a good burn once in a while when I’m unprepared.

One St. Patrick’s Day, I was involved in a parade with a company I worked for. I thought it would be cool to paint shamrocks on my head.

This was my first day of the year in the sun for any length of time. About half way through the parade I realized my blunder.

I had white shamrocks on a red head for 2 weeks. Totally sweet.[/quote]

That is freaking hilarious!

I tore up the aloe plant in my back yard yesterday and covered my head in it. I’ve been wearing a bandana too.

From what you guys are telling me I really hope it doesn’t peel.[/quote]

It will.