Attention Whisky Aficionados

[quote]CHF wrote:
Attention whisky aficionados. My Father’s sixtieth birthday is coming up and I am looking for recommendations on a nice bottle in the $100 range for a present. While neither of us are experts by any stretch of the imagination, we both have really enjoyed Glenfiddich over the years while discussing lifes philosophical questions.

However, I think now is the time to move from the Highlands into something a bit more peaty. Any thoughts??[/quote]

The Ardbeg “Uigeadail” is superb, and usually runs in the $100 range. The ten year is nice as well; much better than the ten year Laphroaig, and in the same Islay style.

Lagavulin is also hard to beat, and for a richer Highland/Speyside than Glenfiddich, try Balvenie. The doublewood is nice, and they just get better as you go to the older bottlings.

“I love Scotch, Scotchy Scotchy Scotch”
-Ron Burgundy

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
I know this is a cheaper whiskey but anyone try Knob Creek? I’m a pretty big fan of it but I usually go with gentlemen Jack or Special Reserve Crown Royal.

I would suggest the Walker sampler. They have recently switched colors as far as what is their “best” or most pricey. I like the Black Label, but that’s just me.[/quote]

A bunch of single barrel bourbons became fashionable about 10 years or so ago. I tried as many as I could find - Booker’s, Bakers, KC, etc. Knob Creek was the one I went back to time and again. Not as crazy strong as Booker’s, but still packs a punch while still drinking smooth. I still keep a bottle of it in the bar.

Woodford Reserve is my favorite these days though.

I have had the Blue, and it’s magic. nothing goes down smoother, and if you know where to get it you can get it for about 120

[quote]wfifer wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
I know this is a cheaper whiskey but anyone try Knob Creek? I’m a pretty big fan of it but I usually go with gentlemen Jack or Special Reserve Crown Royal.

I would suggest the Walker sampler. They have recently switched colors as far as what is their “best” or most pricey. I like the Black Label, but that’s just me.
Is that so? What is the order now? I thought it was something like blue>green>black>red>gold. The only one I haven’t tried is green, because it doesn’t come in the sampler.

I like Knob Creek–it’s very good for its price. [/quote]

There isn’t and order per se but what the intended purpose is. In order of price it generally goes:

Red- distilled for blending during the blight in France that wiped out the grapes used to make Brandy and Cognac.

Black- The original blend by the Walker family, served neat, with water, or on rocks

Green- Called?pure malt", blended scotches are made with multiple single malts and grain alcohol, Green is made with single malt highland scotches only so there is no grain or malts from different regions. It is only recently available in the US, a year or so, outside of Duty Free shops.

Gold- Generally served out of the freezer, similar to vodka, with deserts. A warm chocolate cake is its best pairing.

Blue- Made with the malts at least 25yrs old and the rarest malts available. Even after a distillery goes out of business, the Walkers will keep the barrels to age at least 25 yrs to blend into blue.

I just went to a Johnnie Walker tasting last night. I think the gold and the Green are pretty similar in price so those price points may fluxuate.

Fun Facts:
-The Master Distiller at Johnnie Walker is named Jim Beverage

-Johnnie Walker was a tea blender before becoming a whiskey blender.