Attention: Dallas Strongman

Finally a strongman competition coming to Dallas, in conjunction with the Europa show on 8/11!

But here’s the $25k question, where to train???

I’ve posted on this before, didn’t get a lot of feedback. Anyone know of a gym, garage, etc that has strongman equip. and/or anyone training strongman in the Dallas area?

(Particularly north of Dallas - I don’t have time to drive down to Metroflex from far north Plano.)

If there’s no place out there now, I found a gym that would potentially let someone store the equipment and train there for cheap, and found a place to buy equip for cheap. But, it doesn’t really make sense to pursue this solo.

Anyone serious about training strongman and able to train somewhere north of 635, and on the weekends?

Travis Ortmeyer trains in texas, but i have no clue as to the where abouts. Might wanna check that out

I saw this few months back october I guess man go do it looks like a good one if I had the travel cash and knew Idd be healed id be in

Other than that bro just train sure great getting others but just do it. It really just takes that doing it collecting odd crap largely free and just getting creative and strong. Do it outside and others are bound to see you and join inm ive had several ppl join up with me just from seeing my goofy ass flipping and tossin tire etc

in short dont let anything be an excuse training partners/crews are great but sometimes we dont have the luxury and if you just rain do this go to it your bound to meet ppl there as well

Phill

[quote]metalhealth wrote:
Finally a strongman competition coming to Dallas, in conjunction with the Europa show on 8/11!

But here’s the $25k question, where to train???

I’ve posted on this before, didn’t get a lot of feedback. Anyone know of a gym, garage, etc that has strongman equip. and/or anyone training strongman in the Dallas area?

(Particularly north of Dallas - I don’t have time to drive down to Metroflex from far north Plano.)

If there’s no place out there now, I found a gym that would potentially let someone store the equipment and train there for cheap, and found a place to buy equip for cheap. But, it doesn’t really make sense to pursue this solo.

Anyone serious about training strongman and able to train somewhere north of 635, and on the weekends?[/quote]

I train with a great group of hardcore powerlifters in Denton and occasionally in Flower Mound. I have competed in strongman and pling and I have lots of strongman equipment. Let me know if interested.

[quote]BIG_DAWS wrote:
Travis Ortmeyer trains in texas, but i have no clue as to the where abouts. Might wanna check that out[/quote]

Travis is on the northside of houston, cypress area. Last I knew he trained at “The Gym” off 1960 and they have a storage unit for events.

Appreciate the offer. I’d like to come out some time. I don’t know if it could be my long term solution though - Denton’s about 50 mins from me thanks to the lake.

What kind of strongman equip do you guys have?

Corey, I’m not sure if you realize it, but “Yorba barbell” is Paul from the Texas Strongest Man.

Corey, I’d definitely be willing to meet you out at American Indoor if you’d like to start doing event training there on the weekends. I’m still in Denton and I’m looking for a place to train strongman events too. Lewisville is like 20 minutes from Denton.

Appreciate the offer. I’d like to come out some time. I don’t know if it could be my long term solution though - Denton’s about 50 mins from me thanks to the lake.

What kind of strongman equip do you guys have?[/quote]

I have an alumitech log, farmers handles, appolons axle, sled, holle it up dumbell, all captains of the crush, log bar, and everything else you may need to get strong-accept stones.

Anyways the offer is there if you’d like-I understand traffic and life getting in the way etc. I know in my strength career I have often times driven hours just for the perfect workout atmosphere-but I am a unique case-especially here in Texas. Good luch in your efforts.

Nice to see you Jeremy-how’s training?

[quote]Yorbabarbell wrote:
metalhealth wrote:

I have an alumitech log, farmers handles, appolons axle, sled, holle it up dumbell, all captains of the crush, log bar, and everything else you may need to get strong-accept stones.

Anyways the offer is there if you’d like-I understand traffic and life getting in the way etc. I know in my strength career I have often times driven hours just for the perfect workout atmosphere-but I am a unique case-especially here in Texas. Good luch in your efforts.

Nice to see you Jeremy-how’s training? [/quote]

Training has been going pretty well. I’m going to do the deadlift event at the Europa show coming up in August. So I’ve been training for that. Matt Poe is talking about throwing another pretty soon. He’s talking “weighted pullups” again so I’m ready. :slight_smile:

Paul, so would this offer be open to me also? If so, where would you like to meet for such a thing? :slight_smile:

I live in McKinney and would be willing to help purchase equipment.

I currently workout at Lifetime Fitness in Allen (yes I’m a newb). Like our comrade in Plano, I really can’t drive to Denton or Lewisville on a regular basis, so I need something closer to Plano, Allen, or McKinney.

[quote]bulletproof_ wrote:
Yorbabarbell wrote:
metalhealth wrote:

Nice to see you Jeremy-how’s training?

Training has been going pretty well. I’m going to do the deadlift event at the Europa show coming up in August. So I’ve been training for that. Matt Poe is talking about throwing another pretty soon. He’s talking “weighted pullups” again so I’m ready. :slight_smile:

Paul, so would this offer be open to me also? If so, where would you like to meet for such a thing? :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Jeremy-I will keep in touch. None of our training is set in stone due to work etc-but hopefully in the future I will have things more set. As always-just keep getting stronger. I’ll see you at the Europa no doubt.

Paul - I’d like to come out sometime. Are you training out of your house or do you have a facility there?

Any of your strongman equip that you’re not using that you’d be interested in selling?

Jeremy - American Indoor is in Carrollton, Hebron and 121. Is that too far for you?

Paul - I’d like to come out sometime. Are you training out of your house or do you have a facility there?

Any of your strongman equip that you’re not using that you’d be interested in selling?

Jeremy - American Indoor is in Carrollton, Hebron and 121. Is that too far for you?[/quote]

Metal-I am definitely not interested in selling anything ever. As for the workout-that sounds like a great possibility. Are you training the specifi events for August? What is your training plan?

Jeremy - American Indoor is in Carrollton, Hebron and 121. Is that too far for you?[/quote]

It’s about 30 minutes from me but that’s ok. I’ll do whatever I have to.

My goal is to train for Monsters of the SW at the Europa show in August. I’m limited by the fact that I have access to none of the 4 pieces of equipment used in the events, namely: Yoke, stones, log, and farmers.

I’m going to be traveling each week starting soon, and will have only Fri to Sun for training in town.

Anyone know of anyone who’s training for this contest?

Paul - sent you a PM. You guys have a training session planned for Saturday?

[quote]mattwray wrote:
BIG_DAWS wrote:
Travis Ortmeyer trains in texas, but i have no clue as to the where abouts. Might wanna check that out

Travis is on the northside of houston, cypress area. Last I knew he trained at “The Gym” off 1960 and they have a storage unit for events.

[/quote]

I’m also in the Cypress area and wanting to get into strongman or at least train like it. I was wondering if you had a number or address for The Gym. I might be retarded but I can’t find any info about it online.

Here’s their website. No strongman stuff there, but good solid equip for PL.
http://www.thegymdallas.com/2006/

Here’s their website. No strongman stuff there, but good solid equip for PL.
http://www.thegymdallas.com/2006/[/quote]

Thats not the one he is talking about. Send me a PM and I will hook you up with Travis’s e-mail. Send him a message and he’ll tell you where it is.

I trained with them once, and it was off 249 turn left on 1960 and just a little ways down on the right.