Attempts at Strongman

1/25 Squat

Front Squat
Barx10
135x1
185x1
225x1
275x1
315xplease stop blacking out during front squats. The barbell here is turning into a duffalo Bar
295 for 4 sets of 8

Cable crunches
Set of 100, no pause

1/26 press

Strict press
Barx5
65x3
95x3
115x3
135x3
155x1
165x1
155x5,5,5,4
115x10,8,6,6,6

Pushups
153.5 in 10 minutes

Triceps extensions
300 total reps, 3 variations

Okay @littlesleeper @T3hPwnisher @strongmanvinny2 or anyone else, hereā€™s a video of a set of 5 strict press. What needs improvement?

I honestly donā€™t see anything jumping out. Iā€™m really not the most technical guy, especially on overhead. Sorry I canā€™t be much help.

The only thing wrong is you need more weight on the bar my son!

1 Like

Nothing looks obviously wrong from what I can see. Have you played around with different grip width on the barbell?

Donā€™t change a thing, this is one lift I can outperform you at. :wink:

Sad. I was hoping for something more than me just being weak. Well, at least itā€™s identifiable and conquerable. Thanks guys!

@littlesleeper I havenā€™t too much. I may try widening out a bit next overhead day. I can launch 185 off my chest but it hits a wall once the bar clears my head. Triceps are the weak point.

1/27 squat kinda and pulls

Front squat
Barx10
135x3
185x1
225x1
275x1
315x1 beltless PR, I think
Add belt
365x1
405xnope, didnā€™t fight it too much. Upper back just rounded and the weight fell out at the bottom

Cleans from hang, attempting to be slightly athletic and catching in a quarter squat
205 for 25 total reps

SGHP
205 for 50 total reps

Deficit conventional deadlift, beltless
315 for 7 sets of 5

Underhand cable pull down
A bunch till I didnā€™t want to anymore

It would seem that this is the case yet you have a strong close grip bench press and strong weighted dips which would USUALLY translate to strong triceps. I think I press a little wider than most (?), my pinky finger just inside the grooved ring. Not much closer grip than my bench press.

On a side note: how are the pup and kitty getting along?

Maybe Iā€™ll try a wider grip. Iā€™ve always been just an inch or so outside the smooth.

Ehh, ups and downs. Cat has taken an interest in the dogā€™s tail. Dog will turn around and try to lick the cat. Cat will then run, and the dog thinks this is the beginning of a game. Cat will try to hide and dog will leap and bound over and through anything in his path. Itā€™s a vicious cycle.

1 Like

Our cat is psycho, the dog runs for his life with his tail between his legs. He usually hides behind one of us with the absolute saddest look on his faceā€¦rather entertaining.

1 Like

Duke (the dog) has no fear of Rocky (the cat).
The other primary difficulty is that Iā€™ll pet the dog and the cat will get jealous. This will prompt cat to climb onto my chest in an attempt to divert attention. The dog will then be jealous, and will try to slowly climb onto my chest. Cat will bat and claw at the dog, and the dog doesnā€™t care in the slightest. Have a nice scratch on my nose from their last altercation.

1 Like

1/30 press

Press, playing with different bar grips
Barx5
65x5
95x5
115x3
135x1
155x1
165x1,1,1,1,1
135 for 30 reps in 13:20, mostly triples

Incline, slingshot,45Ā°
275x6,6
Remove slingshot, 60Ā°
155x10,10,8

Ring dips
4x8
5 30 second holds

Face pulls
A bunch

Did you find one that added 50lbs to the bar for you?

Have you been doing OHP much in the past? Believe it or not OHP was a big weakness of mine until I started actually programming it as a main lift rather than assistance. Then it didnā€™t take long shooting up.

@littlesleeper OHP has been my primary press the past 9 months or so. Iā€™ve benched maybe twice a month as assistance during that time frame.

170 is the most Iā€™ve ever pressed, so to hit 165 for 5 singles with low rest is definitely improvement.

1 Like

Hereā€™s what have worked for my ohp

1.Maxing out on different presses.Not incline,just overhead presses,followed by more heavy overhead pressing

2.High reps overhead press on another day.And I mean sets of 20 reps or so going for rep prs.Iā€™ve noticed that as long as I have some kind of heavy overhead pressing in the week getting my 15 overhead press max to 20 reps does a ton for me

@stronkfak I appreciate it! Since my max OHP is less than half my best bench, I need all the help I can get lol

1 Like

Look at this too when you have time(it has everything time stamped in the description)

Basically Kalle Beck says that his ohp has gotten stronger by using heavy push presses and volume ohp.Havenā€™t tried it though to give personal feedback

Kalle is the stud in the weight class I want to compete in! Thanks again man. Iā€™m bitter that Kalleā€™s and my lifts are very similar other than overhead but I bet he smokes me in any sort of Strongman event.

1 Like

2/2 bit of a makeup

Hang clean to push press, clean each rep
205 for 8 doubles. All moved really well

BW bench (well, bit more than bodyweight) for 100 reps. Took close to 14 minutes

Took close to a 10 minute rest to attempt to restore function to triceps

BB row SS/ single arm db press
225x8/40x15 for 5 roundoubles

DB floor press neutral grip/Plate raise
50ā€™sx15/45x10 for 5 rounds

Training has been put off a bit as Iā€™ve been viewing houses. Iā€™m kind of sick of paying rent instead of buying.

Might attempt a fixer-upper thatā€™s in a wonderful location with a seperate basement apartment setup. Could be a good investment property, while also giving me the ability to have a private fishing spot on the Snake River.

Oh man, scary adult things.

4 Likes