Attempts at Strongman

Don’t know if I’ve missed it, when’s the competition?
Best of luck.

1 Like

You gon’ do well buddy. Think about what you got to do and exactly how you’re gonna do it. Execution to the T.

1 Like

Saturday. Came up a lot faster than I thought it would.

2 Likes

The struggle for me is I was diagnosed with OCD recently. I was working on visualizing the rickshaw pull and got really hung up on not being sure if the handle/Bar would be in front of me or if there would be two handles on either side lol

I appreciate though sir. Worst come to worst, I’ll be motivated as all get out to compete again.

haha isn’t that the truth! Pretty sure after reading through your log that you’re going to be on point (although, admittedly, I have absolutely zero familiarity with strongman, ha!)

1 Like

I’ve been getting into some crafting type hobbies lately.
I made a ring from an elk rib, working on a kitchen/paring knife and a small camping axe. I love monotony and logical steps of advancement/production. Probably the only reason I’ve done semi-decently with lifting with my crummy diet and sleep lol.

3 Likes

On the road! If anyone is competing at the Oregon feats of Strength in Prineville let me know.
Weighed in at 177 in shorts this morning, 175 should be no problem.

2 Likes

Good luck man!

1 Like

Best of luck!

1 Like

That’s not terribly far from me. Sadly, I’m on a work trip tho.

1 Like

Thanks guys!

Bad news. 177.7 at weigh ins. Decided to suck it up and weigh in again tomorrow morning. 2.7 lbs to go! Wrestling in high school I would lose 6-8 lbs during a regular practice, and I was at a much lighter bodyweight. Fingers crossed, shouldnt be bad. Wish me luck!

1 Like

Kill it dude. Have fun!

Rough that they make this the day after St. Patrick’s.

Good luck

172.8, overshot things a bit. Oh well, time to hydrate.

3 Likes

Well, first competition in the books. Ton of fun, lot of humbling experiences.

Recap:

Lightweight open class

First event
Rickshaw/wheelbarrow, 70 ft each way
Weight set to 1030 lbs
I was too amped, finished the rickshaw in 12 seconds. Started to fade and go dark on the weight back. Took second with 128.6 ft., only one light weight finished the course.

Second Event

DB circus press, clean each rep

Weight set at 120 lbs

8 cleans, no presses. This was so miserable. Also tweaked my elbow pretty bad losing one behind me. 3 light weights also zero’d

Third Event
AKA the Heartbreaker

Tire deadlift

Weight set at 525

Another zero. Hurt really bad since I’ve pulled more from the floor. I could not generate ANY tension at the 18.5" height. Definitely something to work on. One other lightweight zero’d

Fourth event

Husafell stone

Weight set at 270 lbs

Took second and blacked out cold. Limp fish flop and everything. But hey, won my heat.

Fifth event

Atlas stone over 54" Bar

240, 265, 285, 305, 320 lb stones

Another zero. Winner moved 2. Only one other lightweight weight cleared the first stone.

I am happy that I did well in the events that were more guts based. The guy who beat me in those two (the rickshaw and Husafell) has competed at nationals multiple times and won every event pretty handily.

Not sure on overall placing yet. Will find out shortly. Incredibly fun, incredibly drained. Definitely now a convert to strongman, powerlifting is lame.

5 Likes

Awesome man! First one under your belt. Can’t wait for mine (even though it is just a fundraiser event, no weight classes). Seems like they may have overshot the weights a bit for this event?

Had fun, not injured, and didn’t zero across the board. Win. Congrats!

@littlesleeper yeah the other lightweights were all complaining a bit. We were doing the same weights as the master heavyweights lol.

Definitely need some more practice with implements rather than hoping for carryover with similar movements. Thought I’d make up ground in the deadlift since I’ve pulled 605 from the floor. Thought I’d get at least one rep with the circus dumbbell since I’d pressed a 120 lbs traditional dumbbell for a set of ten. Live and learn.

The deadlift miss surprised me to see since you’re a stronger deadlifter. Did you practice pulls from that height at all?

You would THINK 120lbs for a set of 10 would translate to AT LEAST 1 rep of the circus. I’ve never touched one though, so I don’t have the slightest idea what they feel like.

Maybe that first event took a bit more of a toll on you than you thought?

Regardless, good job getting a comp under your belt.

1 Like

@littlesleeper The circus dumbbell was absolutely awful. It didn’t feel steady anywhere. It’s also cutting your arm the entire time.
The deadlift was my own fault. The only elevated pulling I did was with a trap bar.
The really weird part though, was warm ups.
The setup at warmups was one tire, then metal plates. I walked up and pulled an easy beltless single on a bar guys were working on, found out afterwards that it was 545.
The actual event setup was two tires, and less metal plates. Felt like it was glued to the floor. Felt very silly.

1 Like

Results are in, took 4th by a very slim margin.

Was tied for 3rd going into stones. The tiebreaker was won by loading one stone, and I missed that stone by 2-3 inches at most.

No trophy, but the other competitors were much more experienced and “built” (i.e. under 5’6") for the 175 class.

I have nothing to complain about. Other than the deadlift, I did well in the events I thought I would do well in. I also struggled with the events I thought I would struggle with.

3 Likes