Atomic Pup - Somebody's Watching

[quote]firebug9 wrote:
Nice Job Nate! As some one told me once –
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around – I believe this to be very true…

it has helped me and I am sure of the positive effects it has on others.

Malinda[/quote]

Good philosophy Firebug!

Nate you’re a pimp. But don’t let it go to your head.

I just wanna say that I think its great that you give some of your time to this kid. But I don’t think it follows that we should be advising skinny kids or fat chicks. I mean, mentoring is cool, its an honor, and we are lucky if somebody respects us enough to ask for our advice. But I can tell you that there is not much that I like less than unsolicited advice. IMO it’s a very rare situation that calls for unsolicited advice… something like self-harm or extreme stupidity, or maybe just because we know somebody wants to know something but they don’t know how to ask.

Rant complete.

[quote]Mister T. wrote:
That was actually…kinda inspiring.

I’m not quite sure “inspiring” is the right word, “but it’s the first word that comes to mind”.[/quote]

Ha! You caught the Palahniuk reference!

Niiice.

-Nate

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Nate you’re a pimp. But don’t let it go to your head.

I just wanna say that I think its great that you give some of your time to this kid. But I don’t think it follows that we should be advising skinny kids or fat chicks. I mean, mentoring is cool, its an honor, and we are lucky if somebody respects us enough to ask for our advice. But I can tell you that there is not much that I like less than unsolicited advice. IMO it’s a very rare situation that calls for unsolicited advice… something like self-harm or extreme stupidity, or maybe just because we know somebody wants to know something but they don’t know how to ask.

Rant complete.[/quote]

Thanks, man.

Mentoring is great, but you did bring up a great point: you’re probably wasting your time by offering unsolicited advice. Most people won’t listen and won’t change.

However, like Austin, some people will approach you. Some people will want your help. They may not ask for it directly, but if you look close enough you’ll see their underlying intent.

-Nate

I tutor…mostly kids who are in danger of falling through the cracks…and there is nothing that beats their expressions when they do what they’ve been told they “can’t” or are “too dumb” to do.

Robert Frost’s poem “The Road Less Traveled” is one that plays in my head frequently…the choices we make have consequences we may not realize for a long time.

Keep up the time with Austin!! Who knows how long he was watching you before deciding to approach.

You have done a beautiful thing.