T Nation

Atmospheric Water Generator

Our drinking water (tap) is shit. Full of xenoestrogens, metals, chlorine, flouride, bacteria,drugs, etc…

Even w/ a regular brita water filter - you are only removing some metals.

So my question is :

Does anyone have any top notch units?
maybe reverse osmosis or even a atmospheric water generator?

I was thinking in investing in Mercolas product:
http://waterfilters.mercola.com/products/drinkingwaterfilters.aspx

-removes flouride and chlorine
-unit is $200. Filters are $50.
-Change filter every 12 months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqjxsteSIig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVrGcWGxQ8g&feature=related

Interesting topic.
Could be huge.

However, the “industrial” use to help supply poor countries is insanity. This could bite us in the ass big time.

In the second vid I saw Alex Jones and that’s it for me. Saw a sci fi flic the other day and don’t need no stories today about jew reptiloid nazis poisoning the wells with their semen .

Distilled water. Very purest form. Everything eliminated.

People will try to tell you it will leach minerals from your body. Doubtful. More likely that it will simply transport nutrients and remove toxins more efficiently.

Very cheap, efficient, and requires no filters, which is why I believe it is not promoted more.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Interesting topic.
Could be huge.

However, the “industrial” use to help supply poor countries is insanity. This could bite us in the ass big time.

In the second vid I saw Alex Jones and that’s it for me. Saw a sci fi flic the other day and don’t need no stories today about jew reptiloid nazis poisoning the wells with their semen .[/quote]

Solar-ran atmospheric water generator producing 7 gallons of water a day!

Think of the implications.

Jones was advertising it because it would allow people to get off the grid.
Personally, it sounds too good to be true. It seems like some big water company would buy up the patent rights and all the schematics just so they make sure it never made it to the public or keep the price outrageously high. …but I think that point has passed. Its here.

10-20 yrs, a high percentage of people could be owning these.

[quote]JEATON wrote:
Distilled water. Very purest form. Everything eliminated.

People will try to tell you it will leach minerals from your body. Doubtful. More likely that it will simply transport nutrients and remove toxins more efficiently.

Very cheap, efficient, and requires no filters, which is why I believe it is not promoted more.

[/quote]

Why is the leaching doubtful? Nature abhors a vacuum. Not only does this cause leaching of minerals, but combines with co2 to create a high acidity.

Thats my (some physicians) take anyways. There seems to be a lot of “dangers of distilled water” links on the interwebz.

Do you have a good source I could read?

[quote]THE_CLAMP_DOWN wrote:

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Interesting topic.
Could be huge.

In the second vid I saw Alex Jones and that’s it for me. Saw a sci fi flic the other day and don’t need no stories today about jew reptiloid nazis poisoning the wells with their semen .[/quote]

Solar-ran atmospheric water generator producing 7 gallons of water a day!

Think of the implications.

Jones was advertising it because it would allow people to get off the grid.
Personally, it sounds too good to be true. It seems like some big water company would buy up the patent rights and all the schematics just so they make sure it never made it to the public or keep the price outrageously high. …but I think that point has passed. Its here.

10-20 yrs, a high percentage of people could be owning these. [/quote]

I said it could be huge and my inner nerd can think of dozen wonderfully bizarre implications.
It will definitely have an impact but I fear it will be , at least partly, a negative one.

I hope the benefits will outweigh the bad consequences.

Personally, I always say autarky rules.
Globally, we desperately need to reduce or numbers. That box tells me the opposite will happen.

There is no vacuum. Still two hydrogen atoms to each oxygen. About as “pure” as a substance can get.

Remember, distilled is as close to to pure, unadulterated water as you are going to get.

There is no credible evidence that distilled water leaches minerals from your body. None.

Also, as soon as you consume it, it is mixed with any and all substances in your digestive track.

For those that say tap water is a better source of minerals, virtually none of our mineral intake is absorbed from the water we drink. Virtually all comes from foods, mostly vegetables.

Having said this, there is also no credible evidence that distilled water cleanses or purifies the body either.

Distilled water is not “dead” water. There is no life force, death force, or any other “force” in water.

The one claim that can be safely made is that distilled water has the least amount of contaminants of any type of water. Whether possible contaminants are beneficial or not is for you to decide. If you like fluoride, drink tap or use it in your tooth paste or rinse.

BTW, most of the “distilled water is harmful to drink” BB can be traced back to the claims of a Dr. Rona. Don’t remember the claims exactly, so Google. Subsequent critique discovered that the Doctor simply did not have an adequate understanding of how the body regulates pH levels.

The mixing with CO2 claim is just silly. Are you saying that less pure water with metal or mineral ions cannot mix with CO2? Think it through. Then relax.

Most of the nonsense is generated by groups that have a vested interest in selling you a system that generates residual income. That’s it. Nothing more.

I always find it humorous when folks prefer RO to distilled. It is like saying I prefer 10k gold to 12k gold.
RO also wastes water and has continuous costs.

Finally, “distillation changes the structure of water”?
I guess. So does freezing it. Distillation simply boils water to vapor or it gaseous state. 99.9% of the impurities or left behind. It is then recondensed to its normal liquid state. To present this as anything unnatural is suspect. Remember, Mercola has been cited many times for false claims by the FDA. No, I don’t trust them much more, but he is simply pushing his agenda. Mercola is well known for making unsubstantiated claims.

Spend your money as you wish. I am simply stating that if your objective is to find a water source that contains the very least contaminants, distilled is your answer. Just be careful as to what you store it in until you are ready to drink it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU2_vHXjsyE[/quote

Park your car on pavement on a hot summer day with the air conditioner on full blast.

Step outside, wait a few minutes, and then look at the large puddle of water that has formed under your AC condenser.

The fact that you could get the same thing for a mere $1300 is amazing. Where do I sign up?

But wait. What if humidity levels are very low? How many gallons would I get then?

Get off the Grid? Does this not run on electricity, solar generated or otherwise?

Reverse Osmosis does not necessarily require any electricity. Just enough pressure to force the water through a progressively finer series of membranes.

Is the water drinkable? Sure, but it kind of seems like a round about way to get a glass of water.

[quote]JEATON wrote:
There is no vacuum. Still two hydrogen atoms to each oxygen. About as “pure” as a substance can get.

Remember, distilled is as close to to pure, unadulterated water as you are going to get.

There is no credible evidence that distilled water leaches minerals from your body. None.

Also, as soon as you consume it, it is mixed with any and all substances in your digestive track.

For those that say tap water is a better source of minerals, virtually none of our mineral intake is absorbed from the water we drink. Virtually all comes from foods, mostly vegetables.

Having said this, there is also no credible evidence that distilled water cleanses or purifies the body either.

Distilled water is not “dead” water. There is no life force, death force, or any other “force” in water.

The one claim that can be safely made is that distilled water has the least amount of contaminants of any type of water. Whether possible contaminants are beneficial or not is for you to decide. If you like fluoride, drink tap or use it in your tooth paste or rinse.

BTW, most of the “distilled water is harmful to drink” BB can be traced back to the claims of a Dr. Rona. Don’t remember the claims exactly, so Google. Subsequent critique discovered that the Doctor simply did not have an adequate understanding of how the body regulates pH levels.

The mixing with CO2 claim is just silly. Are you saying that less pure water with metal or mineral ions cannot mix with CO2? Think it through. Then relax.

Most of the nonsense is generated by groups that have a vested interest in selling you a system that generates residual income. That’s it. Nothing more.

I always find it humorous when folks prefer RO to distilled. It is like saying I prefer 10k gold to 12k gold.
RO also wastes water and has continuous costs.

Finally, “distillation changes the structure of water”?
I guess. So does freezing it. Distillation simply boils water to vapor or it gaseous state. 99.9% of the impurities or left behind. It is then recondensed to its normal liquid state. To present this as anything unnatural is suspect. Remember, Mercola has been cited many times for false claims by the FDA. No, I don’t trust them much more, but he is simply pushing his agenda. Mercola is well known for making unsubstantiated claims.

Spend your money as you wish. I am simply stating that if your objective is to find a water source that contains the very least contaminants, distilled is your answer. Just be careful as to what you store it in until you are ready to drink it. [/quote]

AWESOME! Big thanks. Thats what I was looking for!
Put some sense into me.

so … My big question now : Do you distill your own water? Can you recommend a product?

and Mercola is a bit of an extremist… but thats why i love him. Man-crush.
I certainly don’t agree with everything he says , though.

The Facts and Myths on Distilled Water

http://www.getalife.net.au/mag/water_html

The Facts and Myths on Distilled Water

http://www.getalife.net.au/mag/water_html[/quote]

Not a bad recap. Pretty much aligns with what I said. I still don’t know what “life force” can be found in water, but we will let that one go.

As for me, I honestly do not sweat it too much. In one of my first careers, twenty years ago, I ran a small chain of water stores in Texas. We were kind of ahead of the times. We did pool and spa chemicals and treatment, but we also did water filtration, RO, Distillation, and spring water treated with UV, and did cooler rental and water service and distribution. I did distillation myself, and continued to pay for water service and delivery of distilled long after.

I have a cooler and buy distilled at work. At home I simply use the filtration system on my overpriced refrigerator. Again, it removes chlorine, fluoride, and most of the basic stuff, and I don’t worry about the rest.

Either buy distilled in properly lined 5 gallon containers, or buy a distillation unit. Actually, reverse osmosis is so close to distilled at the point, I would actually buy one of these over a distillation unit due to the ease of use and space and energy requirements. Of course this assumes you are in a home that you own and plan to stay in a while.