T Nation

Atlas Shrugged; I Pressed

I have vague memories of someone who looks like you ? Hey Big Man! Looks like you and your family are well!!

2 Likes

Paul!! I wondered where you had wandered off to!!
How are you and yours? Everyone graduated and off in the “real” world?

Yeah…we are doing okay. I am older and can definitely feel it. But I guess it beats the alternative! I thought I would be thrilled if Joshua ever decided to start lifting (since Lexie bailed on me). Mentally I am thrilled. My body…not so much.

I would have emailed you, but my contacts got wiped and I don’t have any of those email addresses anymore.

And it seems I recall that private messages were done away with, here. At least I can’t find where to do it.

No worries Skip all is well here. Kids are out and about… daughter in LA but moving to Miami in Feb… our son is local and works at my wife’s company so we see him often.

I’m working out but not posting… can’t find the time to be a positive contributor on the O35 so I decided to stand down .

Great to be helping your boy though . Your aches and pain won’t go away at this point so might as well lift!!! Hahaha…I’ll keep my eye on this thread and make there are no slackers that take roost👌

1 Like

Cycle 2 Week 2 Day 2 (That looks kind of DCA-esque)

Another day in the books. Joshua was supposed to do 165# for his working sets, but he wanted to add at bit more, after the 2nd set just wasn’t hard enough. So, we went to 175# for the final four sets. Next week he starts with 175#. We’ll see if he needs another bump. He is staying after it, though…despite all of the distractions.

Joshua’s Workout

Squats
barx10
95x5
135x5
165x3x2
175x3x4

Rack Pulls
225x8x3

Sled Pulls
140#x30 yardsx2

Old age update…my legs are hurting. Not like sore hurting… I have an MRI, on the 2nd, because of the portion of my right quad that is perpetually numb. As I have been working out, though, even with light squats, both upper thighs have started giving me problems. The Dr. thinks this is all spondy related. If that is the case, my leg days may be over, at least for full squats and deads. I am trying to compensate with rack pulls, since they are not quite as deep. I really wish I had a leg press, to unload my back. That may be the thing that pushes me back into a gym membership…at some point.

Old Guy Workout

Squats
Skipped except for some painful body weight squats, to try to warm my hips.

Rack Pulls
135x5
225x5
320x5x3

Plate Carries
45sx55yardsx2

If it turns out that legs are something I am severely limited on, I will redesign my workout to better utilize my days for more upper body.

3 Likes

Paul, seeing the workouts is positive!

Absolutely! I need someone here to make sure I don’t get too slack.

Maybe you can rig up a belt squat system?

I used to do them on stacked cinderblocks, a dip belt and the bar or a loading pin.

Transferring the load from my back to my hips?

1 Like

Cycle 2 – Week 2 – Day 3 – Military Press

Decent workout today, even though we weren’t necessarily feeling it. It was rainy and cool. Joshua is definitely moving forward.

Joshua’s workout

Military Press
barx10
75x5
90x3,4,3,3,3,3 (He had a mental lapse and did 4 reps on the 2nd set)

DB Rear Delt Raises
20x10
15x10x2

Hammer Curls
20x10x3

DB Curls
20x10x3

DB Tricep Ext.
15x10x3

My tendon is starting to feel better. I am still wary to push it, since it is still tweaky, but it is definitely on the mend…assuming I don’t get stupid…or more stupider. I was really tempted to jump to 185# for my last set, but played it safe.

Military Press
barx20
75x20
140x10x5

DB Rear Delt Raises
40x12
40x10x3

Supersetted 1 Arm DB Tri. Ext. and Hammer Curls
Tricep
40x10x3
Curls
35x10x3

Supersetted 2 Arm DB Tri. Ext. and Hanging DB Curls
Tricep
65x12x3
Curls
35x8x3

DB Curls
30x8x2

Weather is getting cooler. Gonna have to put a heater in the shed soon.

3 Likes

Cycle 2 - Week 2 - Day 4 - Deadlift

It was a hectic late afternoon/early evening. So, once we got home, Joshua only did his Deadlift. They only thing I did was a little shoulder rehab work with 10# DBs.

Joshua’s Workout

Deadlift
135x12
165x5
210x3x5 (He opted to skip the last set. That was fine. This definitely was not a prime lifting day.)

That was it. Despite anything else, he got the main exercise done…and getting that done was his idea. That is promising.
Next week should be interesting. Same sets/reps, but with higher weight. He worked this week, more than he has since he started.

2 Likes

And that is a good thing!

1 Like

Cycle 2 - Week 3 - Day 1 - Bench

Today’s working weight was 5# higher than his starting max. He powered through them and we added 5 more pounds for the last 2 sets. He is progressing well. His bench form is getting better, but is still a bit loose. Once he gets that tightened up, he should have another good jump.

Joshua’s workout

Bench
barx10
75x5
105x5
130x3x4
135x3x2

DB Shrugs
65x10x3

DB Rows
65x5
50x6
50x8

I felt okay at 140#, only slight tweaking. So, I pushed it to 185#. Felt okay, on both sets, until rep 3, when it started to tweak. I stopped at 5 reps on both sets. It wasn’t worth aggravating further.

Bench
barx20
75x20
105x10
140x10x4
185x5x2

BB Bent Over Row
135x10
185x10x2

BB Shrugs
315x10x3

DB Rows
65x15x3

I have my MRI tomorrow evening. So, I will be there to spot him for squats, but won’t be able to finish the workout with him.

2 Likes

Cycle 2 - Week 3 - Day 2 - Squats

I was able to spot/coach up through the next to last set of squats. Then I wandered over to the MRI place. Check that one off of the list.
Good squat workout for Joshua. Next week we drop to 2 reps and up the load.

Joshua’s workout

Squats
barx10
95x5
135x3
175x3x6

Rack Pulls
225x7x3

My workout

Watch Joshua lift…walk to car…drive to MRI…get magnet therapy for 30 minutes.

4 Likes

I think I’m stealing your workout!

LOL…I don’t know…that time in the waiting room is brutal!
But I did get some fatigue, and maybe a little pump, from watching Joshua workout.

What’s up with the MRI?

Numb swath on the front, outer edge of my thigh. Been there for about a year. I, and the Dr., think it is related to my spondy.

1 Like

Cycle 2 - Week 3 - Day 3 - Military Press

Joshua decided that he wasn’t much interested in anything but the main, today. I did get him to do Rear Delt Raises, before he bailed on me. That said, he had a strong MP workout. Today’s working weight was his initial max. He is still a bit wobbly and his form isn’t tight enough (continue broken record), but he looked plenty powerful.

Joshua’s Workout

Military Press
barx10
70x5
95x3x6

Db Rear Delt Raises
15x10x3

For myself, my shoulder is feeling a bit better. So, I decided to play with slightly higher weight. As expected, the higher the weight, the greater the tweak. I still got above 140#. Oh…and I got a mild pump…just thought you would like to know.

Military Press
barx20
70x20
95x10
135x10x3
185x3
205x2
185x5

Supersetted Hammer Curls and 1 Arm DB Tricep Ext.

Hammer Curls
40x10x3

1 Arm DB Tricep Ext.
40x10x3

DB Rear Delt Raises
40x10x3

Supersetted Hanging DB Curls and 2 Arm DB Tricep Ext.

Hanging DB Curls
40x10,8,8

2 Arm DB Tricep Ext.
65x15x2

Having to use a space heater in the shed. We need a bigger one, though. Maybe I should use the rocket heater to warm it up before we go out to lift.

4 Likes

Good stuff by both young and OLD !! I had to have my shoulder cleaned out and repaired took me over a year to feel “right”. Nice press above 200!!

1 Like

All I could think of was Arnold in Pumping Iron talking about “The Pump” and it’s similarity to other feelings. Good you’ve got Joshua doing rear delt work early. I didn’t start it until my front delts were really over developed from pressing. 205 for a double working your way back up.

1 Like

Paul, I am hopeful that this shoulder issue will take care of itself, if I baby it a little.

What did you have “cleaned out”?