Atlas Shrugged; I Pressed

Max Week for Joshua…Squat Day

Joshua came through with a 30# PR. He went 5# over what I was hoping he would. He is pleased with himself. I would be too, with a 30# PR! Been a long time since I have seen one of those!

Squat
barx10x2
95x3
135x2
160x1
180x1 (+5# PR)
190x1 (+15# PR)
200x1 (+25# PR - ugly rep…got leaned forward, but recovered)
205x1 (+30# PR)
210x0 - miss

Rack Pulls (bottom pin)
225x5x3

I just kind of shadowed him, with higher weight on some squats and the rack pulls.

Squats - still hurt
bwx10x2
95x5
135x5
160x5
180x5
210x5
230x5
210x5

Rack Pulls
320x5x3 (all the plates we have… Gonna grab more this weekend.)

Thursday is MP Day. Joshua is dreading it. I am undecided, as it depends on whether or not my tendon will let me press.

Friday will be the big day…deadlift!

4 Likes

Joshua reminded me…he also did his first legit pull-up, today…which is exactly one more than I can do. Little showoff! It wasn’t part of the workout, but he decided to try it. It was a struggle, but it was definitely a clean and full pull-up.

Now to do 2!

3 Likes

When the student surpasses the teacher it proves the teacher is doing right.

1 Like

Max Week for Joshua - Military Press Day

I could tell that Joshua was worried going into today’s workout. He was worried that his max wouldn’t have gone up. He was wrong, of course. He powered through to a 15# PR.

Military Press
barx10
60x3
80x1
100x1 (+5# PR)
105x1 (+10# PR)
110xmiss (Bar was out front)
110x1 (+15# PR)

Reverse Flyes
10x8x3

For those of you who don’t recall, or are new, here is Joshua 11 years and 6 months ago :slight_smile:

Tomorrow is deadlift. THAT is where his expectation of a big jump is. We shall see.

I goofed off. Tried MP. Tendon tweaked and I wussed out. Finished with…

DB Rear Delt Raises
35x10x4

DB Rows
65x12x3

That’s all, until tomorrow. Really hopeful that Joshua tears it up tomorrow. Also hopeful that my dadgummed tendon quits hurting. /whining

4 Likes

Congrats on the MP and that gorgeous mane!

2 Likes

Yeah, he is my long hair kid. I tried to grow mine out, years ago, and I couldn’t take the heat! My daughter and oldest son both like short hair. His grandpa wasn’t thrilled with it, but finally let it go :slight_smile:

Joshua kind of does his own thing. I am proud of him, even when frustrated with him. And I really enjoy the things that we have in common.

3 Likes

Max Week for Joshua - Deadlift Day

This was the one that Joshua was hoping for a big PR on…and he delivered. He powered through and made it look easy, for a 60# PR! He was jacked, even if it doesn’t look like it in the video.

Deadlift
135x5
170x3
205x1 (+5# PR)
215x1 (+15# PR)
230x1 (+30# PR)
245x1 (+45# PR)
255x1 (+55# PR)
260x1 (+60# PR)
265xmiss - Didn’t come off the floor :slight_smile:

He followed this with a dad devised exercise. We needed to get our yard and the elderly woman next door’s yard mowed. So, I suggested he mow with the sled attached to him…only half joking. He jumped at it and put a 45 on the sled and harnessed up. Of course, once I was gone, he added another 45, which made the mowing really slow. He will have to finish tomorrow. I had to have a talk with him about sticking with the plan and not going overboard…marathon, not sprint.

I have decided to just baby my shoulder until the tendon shuts up. So, I stuck to arms.

Alternating Hammer Curls
30x10x3

2-arm single DB Tricep Extensions
65x15x4

Standing Alternating DB Curls
30x10x3

One Arm DB Tricep Extensions
30x15x3

One Arm Hanging DB Curls
30x10x2

And that was that. Max week is done and he went up a total of 130# on the big 4 and 180# if we count the rack pulls. That is HUGE. Another round of hefty gains would not surprise me, sometime in or at the end of December. I am girding him for the inevitable slow down, though.
But he is doing great!

5 Likes

Easy 260. He’s doing great.

1 Like

Back at it…
We are switching up the program a bit. We are going heavier 5x5 this week, with slightly dynamic weights. Then we are doing (he is doing) two weeks of 5x3, followed by weeks of 7x2 and 7x1. These are all on the primary lift.
The accessory work is going to be mainly for sets of 10 and we are breaking it into chest/back on Mondays, legs on Tuesdays, shoulders/arms on Thursdays, and legs on Fridays.

Joshua’s workout

Bench
barx10x2
75x5
95x5
115x5x3
120x5x2 (upped the weight 5# since he was strong on the previous 3 sets)

DB Shoulder Shrugs
65sx10x4

BB Bent Over Rows
95x10x3

DB Rows
40x12x3

He was strong on the bench. He still needs to tighten his form, but he had glimpses of excellent technique. Need to get him to hold the bar a bit lower in his hand/towards his wrist, to stop his hands from bending back so far.

My workout

Still nursing my upper, left bicep tendon

Bench
barx10x2
75x10
95x10
135x10x5

BB Shrugs
225x10
275x10
315x10x2

Bent Over Row
135x10
185x10x2

DB Rows
65sx15x3

Doesn’t look like much, but I was gassed. Guess besides being older, I am out of shape too.

4 Likes

You doing any cardio?

Ha…haha…hahahahahaha

Cardio…sure. My cardio is yard work and accessory work on workout days. Well, unless you consider getting out of bed and out of my office chair to be cardio.

And, yes, that is the one area I need the most attention. I need to get a bike, as I don’t run. As I have told people before, “If you see me running, you should probably run too!”

I have been meaning to start walking in the evenings…but have only succeeded in helping pave the road to Hell.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly!

3 Likes

I like your son’s hair. Grow it while you’re young! His weights are moving in the right direction. I walk 1-2 miles a day with the dog. Has helped my back and conditioning. Running not necessary.

1 Like

Steve, that’s what I’m thinking…no running.
I didn’t like the hair, initially. It grew on me, though…lol. Now I wouldn’t recognize him without it. He says he wants to grow it until the end of high school and the have it cut and donate it.
For about 2 seconds I thought about growing mine out, in solidarity. Then I remembered how miserable I get once it gets about 1.5 - 2 inches.

1 Like

Squat Day

We had to blow through this one, so that Joshua could make it to subway before they closed.

He worked for his squats but got them all. I went off the rails on his rack pulls and forgot what I had written in the program. I was only a little off…40#. He still got the reps.

Joshua’s Workout

Squats
barx10
95x5
135x5
155x5x5

Rack Pulls
225x8x3 (FINALLY! He said his back was tired. He never gets sore or fatigued. This circuit is going to do some of that.)

He did well. I was proud of the rack pulls, especially after I realized my screw up.

My Workout

I am Still going light on squats. Heck, I am going light on everything. I am going lighter on squats, bench, and Military.

Squats
barx10x2
95x10
135x5
205x5x5

Rack Pulls
315x8x3
This was cardio. I was sucking wind hard. Of course, the sets got smashed together in our subway induced time crunch.
Gotta find something to up my level of fitness…besides lots of rack pulls.

5 Likes

When I retired from the service said I was going to grow my hair down to my butt. Hair grew but out as much as down and got way to bulky. Keep it cut now.

2 Likes

Military Press Day

MP day is now MP and arms day. Joshua actually complained about fatigue and even got a bit of a pump. His MP was at the same weight as his last 5x5 workout. It was still a struggle, but he got all of them.

Joshua’s Workout

Military Press
barx10
70x5
80x5x5

Hammer Curls
20x12x3

1 Arm DB Tricep Ext
15x12x3

Hanging DB Curls
20x10x3

2 Arm DB Tricep Ext
35x10,9,9

Supersets
DB Rear Delt Raises
15x12x3
Standing DB Curls
15x12x3

I went no higher than 135# on MP. It was enough that I got some work but light enough that it was low on the tweak factor.

My workout

Military Press
barx10x2
70x10
85x10
135x10x5

Hammer Curls
35x10x3

1 Arm DB Tricep Ext
40x10x3

Hanging DB Curls
30x10x3

2 Arm DB Tricep Ext
65x15x3

Supersets
DB Rear Delt Raises
35x10,12,10
Standing DB Curls
35x10,10,8

Arms were fried. My curls have always sucked. Not sure why. No matter how many I do, they never seem to get easier.

4 Likes

Strick, this is going to sound odd I guess, but does Josh get regular checkups? Reason I ask is that I have scoliosis of the spine and it really complicates my lifting. If only someone had found it when I was young. Just want to make sure everything’s going well for him.

Cav, he, and his siblings (until his sister became an “adult”), have yearly checkups. He played football when he was younger. So, he had additional checkups then. Good and bad…they are all physically fine. Any issues they have a psych has to deal with…

1 Like

2nd Week of new cycle

Bench and Back

We started into the 2nd week of the new cycle. Instead of 5x3, I had him do 6x3. My part of the workout got cut short because I had to get ready for small group. Joshua worked today. I think his mind was elsewhere, but he got it done.

Joshua’s Workout

Bench
barx10
75x5
100x5
125x3x6

DB Shrugs
65x12x3

Seated Sled Pulls
135x3 sets

DB Rows (I wasn’t here to see them. A bit skeptical that they were done with any form.)
65x10x3

I am still nursing my tendon. That and rushing through. But I got something done…

Bench
barx20x2
75x10
100x10
135x10x5

DB Rows
65x15x3

BB Shrugs
225x10
315x10x2 - 1 sec pause at the top

Then rushed off to church…still sweating.

3 Likes