Atlas Shrugged; I Pressed

Things are getting better. After the hospital stay, there were a few rough days, as she has fought the rebound headaches. She seems to be coming around, though…and is much better than when she went in.
I, have just been really busy. I was down to one workout a week, for three or four weeks. I could tell it!
I got in two workouts last week and am shooting another two this week.
As Dad is coming to visit my brother and I, and college football is about to crank up, two might be the max for another few weeks.

2 Likes

Glad to hear y’all are okay.

My brother is a college football addict. Addict! He’s recently been in the news for a class he teaches: “Religion of SEC football.”

Interesting. Football is a second religion in the south. For some, it is primary.
Also, Presbyterian is where I played my one year of college ball.

I wouldn’t say that I am addicted to college football. After having played for 12 years, though, it is the one sport that I really watch.

Besides that, I only watch a little bit of the Olympics and the World Cup, semis and finals, assuming a team I like is playing. As a Germany fan, I was pleased with the last World Cup.

we’ll leave the light on for ya !

Better make it a spotlight!

What with the Dr. goings on, with Mrs. Strick, my Dad’s visit and a few other things, I haven’t made it into the gym in about a month.

I have started back with 50 push-ups a day, as Paul and I agreed to start that Oct. 1.
Hopefully this weekend will see a return to the gym.

Glad you’re back at it!

I knew there was somebody on here I’d been missing.

Whoa! Wait! It’s been 5 years since I posted!!?? Man, time gets away from you!

There are A LOT of familiar names on here. I am glad that you all have been better than me!

2 Likes

Just got back recently myself. Good to see you back.

1 Like

Eh…“back” would be a HUGE stretch. My youngest has decided, at 15, that he wants to workout. I didn’t want to pay for a gym membership for him, given my daughter’s inconsistency…and his. So, I finally, after 7 years, cleaned out the shed and setup of power rack. It is not an ideal setup, given the size of the shed, but it is free :slight_smile:

I haven’t lifted in years and it shows. It amazes me how quickly it goes away!! Of course, age isn’t helping. Nor did the torn right bicep tendon (not from lifting in the gym) or hernia (which I still haven’t gotten fixed). BUT, I have moved a bar again with circular pieces of metal on it…lol.

Miss Strick does not lift anymore. After hurting her back on deadlift (told her not to lift unless I was there to spot and coach), it only got worse and she has had two back surgeries. She is suffering from seemingly chronic sciatica right now.

And now everyone is caught up.

For those interested, I had Joshua start with reps for a few weeks. He wanted to max, so I let him. Then I put him on a 5x5 variation, based on his maxes. I started light. He is in week 3 of 5x5 and is hitting his reps fine, which is good, since his form is still very unstable. Once his 5x5 peters out, we will start mixing it up and adding a little bit of accessory work. But we are trying to keep the workouts to an hour max, preferably 45 minutes. Right now, that is not an issue.

4 Likes

Welcome back stranger!!!

1 Like

Thank you! Am I remembering correctly that you are in TX? It has been a few years. Could be way off.

2 Likes

You got it! Hope life has been treating you right.

Welcome back. Don’t feel bad, I disappear for a year or 2 at a time.

1 Like

It’s life. But God is good. So, no complaints.

2 Likes

Harry, you disappear but keep on working it. I disappear and go backwards a decade…lol.

Great to see you on here and still at it!

2 Likes

Oh the struggles of parenting. My youngest, Joshua, the one who has started lifting, has a slight problem with failure. Even the threat of failure causes him to shutdown. That is not the best quality when lifting on a program, especially 5x5, and gunning for PRs. His sister was the same way.
He had a frustrating session today, because he THOUGHT he might not hit his 5x5. After a bit of observation and coaching, he powered through the last 2 sets with strength to spare. It was keeping him engaged and moving forward that was the real struggle. Trying to convince someone who would rather not try than fail, that failure is a part of success, is no small feat.
Every failure is an opportunity to rise up and overcome, even if not on the same day.

I military pressed over 200# today for the 1st time in 5 years. Heck, it only my 3rd MP day since I stopped lifting. It was 215# and I had done that 15 reps, in the past. Today it went up once. I tried to explain to him that if anyone had a reason to be frustrated, angry, and disheartened, it was me! That is 100# less than my lifetime best!

But I wasn’t letting it bother me. It is a process…a pursuit…and it will return, just like his gains will come. Truly, our biggest foe is our self.

For reference, his starting maxes are…

Bench - 125#
Military - 95#
Squat - 175#
Deads - 200#

His bench max has already gone up. I can tell by the speed of his reps. Form, form, form, grip placement, and breathing. As they come together, he is already primed to surpass his previous bests. I just have to keep him going until we get to the next max session so that he can see the difference.

The upside is, his wanting to lift is the only thing that got me lifting again. Even if he stops, I won’t, but I will definitely keep gently urging him until he sees that failure is not failure until you give up. Oh what I would give to be able to share with him just a bit of my defiance.

5 Likes

Sport is a great way to be introduced to failure as a part of life process.

Welcome back!

2 Likes

If you start another race to 300# mil press I ain’t playing. Those days have left the building. Good you’re working out with your son.

1 Like