Atlas Shrugged; I Pressed

Day 11

25, 35, 40

Was worried about push-ups today, after MP, last night. First set was rough. I guess it loosened me up, though. Was definitely good for 50 by set three.

I am already sick of doing push-ups, though.

She’ll find her way. Very cute story about how she got the couches out of the house by herself.

@ her being naturally strong - I know! I want to see what she can do, and she’s not even mine! Ha!

As parents, we see their natural abilities / talents, and then it kinda kills us to watch them maybe not realize them yet, or just not to be interested, or not have the confidence. I think most parents of kids that age are saying the same kinds of things.

I am very hopeful. She has a couple of friends that are complete messes and their relationship with their parents are nightmarish. And the parents are actually trying, but the warped teenage view of the world just won’t let up.
Always makes me think of the saying, “When I was 15, I couldn’t believe how stupid my parents were. By 30, I couldn’t believe how much they had learned.”

To her credit, she does like to do things with me and help when it is needed…like getting the couches out of the house, helping me in the garden, mowing the yard, suffering through the picking wild black raspberries experience.
Early in the summer, it became apparent that our elderly neighbor had no one to mow her lawn. So, I went and asked if she needed it done. Lexie jumped at the chance to help. In fact, the neighbor “hired” her to keep it mowed this year. It gives Lexie a little pocket money and is a lot cheaper for our neighbor. Of course, Lexie and I would have kept mowing it for free…but she offered.

She holds the door for people, says yes sir and yes ma’am, thank you, please, etc…

The other day, while we were driving to the store, there was a rough looking fellow on the side of the road, with a sign saying something to the effect of “Please help a veteran.” As usual, I had no cash. Lexie made me wait and she gave him the $10 she had in her purse, that she had planned to use at the store.
She loves helping people and never hesitates to give, even when it is a sacrifice.

So, there is definitely a good foundation there. If she can ever find a focus, her heart is big enough to help change the world.

Yes, despite the craziness, I am a proud daddy.

Reads like your daughter has a good foundation for whatever’s next.

Sounds like a really good kid! But, I will tell you the same thing I told bulldog. She is young. There is so much more pressure on them now, than when we were kids. They’re supposed to know what they want to do for the rest of their lives by high school, and they haven’t even got to live yet. They want them to have all this knowledge and then turn around and tell them they are too young to do anything with it. It makes no sense what so ever to me.

She will be paid back 1000 fold in her life!

Paul, I don’t know. When she is in one for her moods, she probably burns up all her credit…lol.

Did you do all of your push-ups at the same session? Or did you spread them throughout the day. Also, if I did more sets, I might not dread it as much.

Day 12…
34, 33, 33

Big Man- I did them all in one short session…when I wasn’t feeling it, I stretched it out with more sets…I wasn’t trying to “progress” to more reps/fewer sets…I was trying to maintain discipline. Don’t know if that helps.

I have done all of them together, except for one day, I think. Of course, trying to get them in before work leaves no other option.

I don’t think I really care about the number of sets. Fewer sets seems like it is over quicker.
Besides just completing the 30 days straight, though, I do hope that this pushes up my 1 set max.

I think, at the end of the month, I might take a day off and go for a max set the next day. I have no idea what the most I have ever done straight is. But, it is somewhere in the 50’s. Topping 60 would be awesome!

And I might change my mind by the end of the month, by I think I want to keep push-ups in the mix, going forward. Maybe not 100 a day, but some amount at least a few times a week.

Day 13…

35, 15, 35 , 15

Craptastic bench…
Feeling kind of beat up. Not sure if it is the push-ups or the heightened stress around here, with Jennifer’s impending surgery.
Either way, just didn’t have it. Unracked the bar with 315# and immediately popped a blood vessel in my nose. Took it as a portent and stopped after that set.

Bench
Barx20
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x5

Then…
mowed grass
picked green beans and okra
snapped beans
canned beans
added more raspberries (back sweetened) the mead

Pretty good day, bench aside.

Okra. Call me crazy but I love the stuff! Especially when it’s pickled. I can put away a jar of that in record time.

I hope the nose is okay. And best wishes to Jennifer for a successful surgery and fast recovery!

I definitely like pickled okra. As a proper southern boy, though, nothing beats breaded and fried!

Day 14
50, 30, 15, 5 (clapping)

1 Like

Surgery Day…Day 15

Well, Mrs. Strick had her back surgery today…spinal fusion at L5-S1.
She came through the surgery fine. But she is in A LOT of pain. More pain than I have ever seen her in…and this is the 7th time she has gone under the knife.
The most painful part, she says, is the incision, which is in the front. To do this specific surgery, they made an incision just left of the belly button, pulled all of the intestines out of the way, to get it from the front.
I suspect that does hurt like hell.

They say she might get out tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday afternoon. Seeing the amount of pain, though, I can’t imagine that it will be tomorrow. Not unless they are sending her home with morphine.

Anyway, the less important event…I wasn’t sure when I was going to do my push-ups, since I was at the hospital for 9 hours today. Managed to squeeze them in when I got home.

40, 30, 20, 10 (clapping)

Ouch!!! Will be praying for a quick recovery.

My very best to Lady Strick… good days are just around the corner… stay strong Big Man, they need you!

Do you always applaud your pushup effort? hahahaha… well done …Clapping pushups you had to go and up the stakes!

Well, only the last 10 were clapping.
And I am just trying to compensate for my embarrassing lack of pull-up prowess.

I’ve actually heard “front entry” back surgery works well. Hope same for your wife. Clapping pushups are kinda tough.

Biker, the way the surgery was explained, it does sound like the way to go.
She just has to survive the added pain of going in form the front.

Well, at my weight, clapping push-ups are a challenge. And they aren’t beautiful. But they are legit…lol.

Ouch. Hoping for the best for your wife.

Thanks C_K.

Mrs. Strick is home. She is in a lot of pain, though. Hopefully that abates quickly.

Day 16
30, 20, 35, 15 (clapping)

The 15 clapping was pushing it. Don’t know that I could have hit 20 without some serious motivation.