Atlas Shrugged; I Pressed

Birthday is Sunday. I will be 47.
So, not exactly a milestone birthday. Jennifer hit 40 this year, though. She never thought she would live to see it. That’s what she gets for marrying me.
I promised her at least 50 years, God willing, when we got married. So, as long as His plan doesn’t call for something different, I will still be around for, at least, 34 more.

I hope I can still physically do, and mentally want to, MP when I am that age.

Let’s hope so. Today was my peeps who have been married for 72 years! He is 92 and WWII veteran, I believe she is 91. She has Alzheimer’s and he still takes care of her at home. He is still sharp as a tack, and is still in pretty good shape. He just can’t see very good :frowning: So yes, it is possible!!! Just never give up.

Thanks, CL.

Bench Day

Pec is still a little twingy. I pushed it with normal grip until I could tell it was going to start going downhill. Then I switched to my MP grip (hands about 1/4-1/2" inside the rings).
I was really hoping to focus more on my triceps anyway. So, a closer grip was a good thing.

Bench
Barx25
95x10
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x3 - Normal grip
315x3x4 - MP grip

I had more in every set, but kept the reps slow and smooth, trying to make my triceps work rather then exploding and blowing through the sticking point.

Face Pulls - alternating grips
115x10x4
95x12

In and out…

Oh…Lexie SAYS that she wants to start lifting with me again. She doesn’t want to do MP :frowning: or legs. She wants to concentrate on bench. If it gets her back in the gym, and it is her idea (since that is the only way she will stay motivated) I am all for it. Bench and back it is…

Even being able to consider a 365 as eventual within your ability is an accomplishment.

Yay! Maybe her toes are not ready for MP and legs yet. Could take a little time. Even if they don’t hurt it might still " feel funny" Great job… as usual.

Happy Birthday a little early Strick. Glad your daughter is ready to get back at it. There is nothing wrong with wanting to bench :grinning:

Glad you are taking it easy on the pec. They can definitely prove pesky to get totally healed.

Thanks Harry. I hadn’t thought about that. Of course, unless I hit the rep, it doesn’t mean a thing.
It’s funny… My last two years in high school, we played for state both years and had a combined record of 29-1. We lost the state championship, my senior year. Rode a 29 game winning streak into the game. And when I think back to those days, that game is what I remember.
I hate losing! And setting a goal of 365#, only to get close to it, is a loss.

CL, she has issues with her achilles that make squats and deadlift very difficult for her. I am not sure what her issue with MP is. Obviously, she has developed my love for it. I will be happy if I can just get her inspired to bench, and do legs and back to keep balanced.

Thanks Dave. I made it another year. I am thankful for that. Hopefully it is a good one!
As for the bench, after dinking around for a few weeks, she hit 115#. I am trying to help her set some goals, but make sure they are ones that matter to her. I would really like her to go for 135# by summer’s end.

Token Back Day…birthday edition

I survived another year and started the celebration with a motivationless back workout. If it weren’t for the fact that I suck at missing workouts, I would have just ditched it for my b-day.

Seated Row Machine
150x10
190x10
230x10
245x8x3

Lat Pulls - neutral grip bar
150x10
175x10x3

Met a new guy today. He was repping 315 for sets of 5, on bench, yesterday. Really nice guy. Chatted with him for a few minutes then headed home. Gonna get cleaned up and head over to my brother’s. Kid’s are gonna swim. I will hang out with my dad and brother. Supper is at 6.
Dad leaves for home, tomorrow. Unfortunately, between work and everything else, I didn’t get near as much time with him as I would have liked. Considering how much wood they split, though, I am not sure that is a bad thing…

Distracted MP Day…Lexie’s triumphant return…

Well, my baby girl (Batgirl) got back in the gym with me. She is restricted to light lifting, due to her toectomy (as she and her mom call her toenail removals). For my part, bouncing between my MP and spotting her on bench screwed up my normal rhythm. Must adjust…

Lexie’s workout first…

Bench
Barx10
65x5
75x5x3
75x8 - she had more in her, but I had told her 8. So, she stopped there.
Gotta stay light for another week and a half. Then we can up the weight. These were way too easy for her.

Seated Row Machine
90x10x3

PecDec
50x10x3

My Workout

Military Press
Barx25
95x10
135x10
175x5
205x5
235x3
265x3
285x2x3 - crappy form cost me a 3rd rep on the 1st 2 sets. Good form on the 3rd. Got 2.5 reps…not enough gas left.
250x5 - had another 2 or 3 reps in me, strength-wise, but held my breath and got fuzzy on rep 5…stumbled, but got it up.

Reverse Flyes
55x10x3
45x10x2

DB Laterals
30x15
drop set
30x10
20x6
10x5

I am a creature of routine and focus. Helping Lexie with Bench really knocked me out of my groove, mainly causing form issues. I didn’t regain it until the 3rd set at 285#, but was gassed by then. I am going to have to figure that out.

For her part, Lexie did great. 75# was no challenge at all. But we have to keep it light. I am going to try to get her to shoot for 135# by summer’s end.

You sound excited anyway. You’ll figure it out. Great job Lexie!

awesome stuff Skip…by Lexie that is!..enjoy the time…

CL, I am just glad to have her back in there with me. Besides some music (which is scary), and fishing, she and I don’t have a lot in common. Well, and my worldview seems to be rubbing off on her, somewhat…poor girl.

I think she has a lot of potential. It just needs to be something that she wants. If she can find that, and see some progress/hit some goals, she will be golden.

Paul, it is good. I like having her there. In fact, I like her, when not in one of her…I am a 15 year old, millennial female…fear me, moods.

She hit 115# on bench, last time. She will go far, IF she sticks with it.

Bench Day

Lexie decided to make tomorrow day 2 for the week. So, I was flying solo.
Still nursing my left upper pec. Didn’t go above 315# with the normal grip and only 320# with the closer. Still a little twingy.

Bench
Barx25
95x10
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x3 - normal grip
320x3x3 - MP grip
315x3 - normal grip

Face Pulls - alternating grips
115x10x5

Bench felt a tad heavier than it should have. Of course, I started lifting right before lunchtime and hadn’t eaten anything today. Might have played a part.

Lexie was having a wrist issue. It has been there, but was flaring up today. She is a compulsive joint popper. She popped her wrist so many times, a couple of weeks back, that she is having to wear a brace on it.
She really needs more constructive habits.

Lexie

Bench
Barx10x2
65x5
75x5x4

Seated Row Machine
50x10x4

Lat Pulls
50x8x4

Me

Seated Row Machine
150x10
190x10
230x10
245x10x2 - max weight on the machine

Lat Pulls
150x8
180x8
200x8
180x8

DB Rows
120x15

Lexie is also sleep deprived. Time for the talk about overall plan to hit your goals…eat, sleep, lift.

careful, lifting before eating can make you sexy

Pretty sure there is no threat of that.

May I suggest baking cake? EVERYTHING is improved by cake.

My wife and I end up at the gym together a lot. Her work out is a lot different than mine, though. She does weights but with a lot of cardio, too. More of a whole body work out. Fun having her there, sometimes.
Hope your pec recovers soon.

Canada_K, while I would agree with that statement 99.9% of the time…you haven’t tasted one of her cakes. Recipes and my daughter don’t mix well.

Harry, I loved it when Jennifer lifted with me. Then I broke her…lol.
Lexie has a lot of potential, just no real focus or drive. I am trying my darnedest to help her develop it, though.

Shitty MP Day

No other way to describe it. I am sure lots of things contributed to it. Losing my balance forward, on two different sets…and struggling with weight that is normally a given…means one thing. Time for a deload.
Not a scheduled deload. Body just announced that it was time.
I ended the workout after nearly losing the bar out front, at 275#.

Will cut back on reps for bench, this Saturday, and see if I can reacquire my groove. Actually getting a good night’s sleep might help.