Atlas Shrugged; I Pressed

Should have listened to Dave Bench Day…

I kind of did listen to him…just not well enough.

Didn’t go above 315#, btu that was enough to aggravate it nicely. I keep expecting bruising to develop, given the way if feels.

Bench
Barx30
95x10
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x3
315x5x2
315x1 - tried a narrow grip…but it was already hurting enough that it didn’t help.
225x10 - narrow grip

Face Pulls - alternating grip
100x12x4

I don’t think I have done any serious damage, but it definitely has a slight pull/tear.

Sorry about the pec. Mine was up high and bringing the bar down lower on my chest and narrower grip helped.

What part of the pec is yours in?

Sorry to hear it’s acting up again, but looks like you are still kicking butt.

Belated congrats on the huge PRs on the OHP and bench and incredible news about your back, that’s awesome.

Dave, it is just shy of where my pec ties in to my arm…maybe an inch from the crease.

CL, it’s a minor thing. Just need to give it some attention.

GV, MP is being good to me. I hope it continues.

Skipped the gym today. Had to go shopping with Mrs. Strick. Then put up an anti-rabbit barrier for the garden. Then got together with my Dad, brother, two nephews and took Lexie and Joshua with me.

Will (my “little” brother, if you can call 270# little) and I spent some bonding time splitting wood. I think I more than made up for the missed workout.

Holy smokes! That’s a lot of wood and a helluva lot of work. Hope somebody else did the stacking if y’all done the splitting.

Splitting wood’s a great overall workout. I get a “thanks” from every muscle on me afterward.

CL, we didn’t stack it. We left it right there, for now, and retired for some homemade bratwurst. I believe he made them with Sam Adams Winter Ale. They were good!

Biker, my back was killing me after about 5 swings. Then, after about 20 more, it loosened up and I seemed good to go. Of course, afterwards, ibuprofen and bed. I am feeling it a bit this morning…from muscles that don’t normally complain.

Splitting wood always delivers.

Nothing like homemade brats, the best! Might not have been a bad idea to drink one of the Sammies after all that…lol

Ah I recall the days of splitting wood. Anyway, good news on your back. I have a couple friends who have had similar work done in the past two years. They both tell me they feel way better.

That is some major wood splitting. A workout and then some.

Yeah Dave…definitely not like being in the gym. I am really feeling it this evening.

Good news (or bad, depending) is that what you see in the picture is about a tenth of the wood that needs to be split.

I think those photos need captions!

Photo 1: Little guy says to the Big Guy, " Bet you buck you miss"…
Photo 2: Big Guy says to Little guy , " your better clean this mess up or I’m telling Mom"

It is kind of funny. There appears to be a good size difference between us. Height-wise, there is …5’7" vs 6’1". Weight-wise, though, there is only about 30#.

Funny you should say that. The pieces we were splitting were trunk pieces from an oak. They were about 36 - 40" across. I flippantly said that I was gonna split the next one right across the middle. He told me there was no way in hell. Challenge was on. I’ll have to see if I can get the video…even though it is only of the last few swings.
In case I can’t get it…I, of course, won. It took about 20-25 swings, but the oak, and my brother, lost.

Happy Birthday to me…11 days early!
Goal was to get back to a 315# MP by my birthday. That happened tonight…and took everything I had.
Got to the gym and someone was in my rack. Which pissed me off. Then, when they were done, I and a young lady reached the rack at the same time. I deferred to her because of some southern gentleman bullshit I was raised to adhere to. I was glad to do it and even more pissed at the same time.
Two sets of what could have been done on the Roman Chair and a set of MP with the bar and she was, thankfully, done.

Military Press
Barx20
Barx10
95x10
135x10 - finally in MY rack
175x5
215x5
245x2
275x2
295x1 - felt like a ton but still decided to go for 315#
315x1 - matches lifetime PR - only bend in my legs was for balance, when I pulled the bar down low and my chest bowed.
275x0 - didn’t have enough left for a single rep

Reverse Flyes
55x10x3
40x10x2

DB Laterals
drop set
30x15
20x8
10x8

Hallelujah! Finally back to 315#. The rep was easier than the single I got on video in October of 2013. But, I think I had a tad more leg whip, from breaking at the knees, for balance, when I leaned back to pull the bar down.

Either way, it was a way explosive rep that left me drained.

Now, to see if I can maintain it while I lose weight.

Congratulations!!! And, not many men adhere to the southern gentlmen bullshit anymore, be proud that you were raised. I know it’s YOUR and all, but that was kind if you anyway. I am guessing 320 can’t be too far away.

Fist Bump! awesome work Big Man!! that is a shit ton ( Northern gentlemen speak) of weight overhead!

What, you’re 31 now? Great lift. And with back issues!