Atlas Shrugged; I Pressed

“Sometimes life can be as bitter as dragon tears. But whether dragon tears are bitter or sweet depends entirely on how each man perceives the taste.”
Chinese proverb as quoted by Dean Koontz.

As a gamer, I would say that the taste of the tears depends on the color of the dragon.

It’s all good, though. It will be what it will be. I will stay on the path that provides the most sanity.

1 Like

I’ll have to go back and look at some off your presses but there may be ways to tweak your form to make up for weight loss. I’ve never really seen anything documented on poundage loss vs lift weight loss. probably depends on the individual.

Harry, my guess is that it is twofold…maybe three.

The first issue is usually energy.
I am not very good at doing anything in moderation. I don’t try to go overboard, it just kind of happens. I guess I need better self control. But whenever I start losing weight, it, inevitably, ends up being too much too fast. My energy stores stay flat. That said, last year, when I lost the 40#, I continued to regain strength…just at a much slower pace.

I think the second issue is leverages.
I tend to have a pretty tight form when I MP and bench. On MP, I have a relatively narrow grip (thumbs and index finger overlap shoulders). I pull my elbows in tight and my scaps down and in. As I lose weight, and thin out, it changes where everything sits…and, hence, the base that I am pushing off of.

The potential third is overall mass.
300# is better absorbed/distributed over a 290# frame than a 255# frame. That might just be in my head, since there a people a hell of a lot lighter who do it with no issues. It might just be how I am perceiving it, given the other two issues.

Heck, if my 1RM’s would just stay where they are, at 255#, I would be right at 125% of bw on MP and 150% of bw on bench. I could live with that until I could start eating to maintain/grow again.

Great work on hitting that PR press. Weight loss and keeping strength is a worthy challenge. Onwards and Upwards.

Thanks GV. We are going to make a run at it! Scratch that…I don’t run. We will make a go at it.

Quick bench day. Have to be a someone’s house in just a bit. So, I had to get it done and get out.

Bench
Barx20
95x10
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x3
315x3
335x1
350x1 - really strong. Guy spotting me thought I was going for 2 or 3.
365x1 PR +5#…since being back - Damn narrow bench. Shifted to the left on the way down. Made for a wonky, very difficult, but still successful rep.
315x3

Reverse Pec Dec - using slightly different grips each set
110x10
130x10x2
110x10

Face Pulls - alternated grip
110x12x2

Happy with the 365#. Like I said, on the way down, my body shifted to the left, on that narrow bench.
Managed to stabilize and get a hard fought rep up.

Back and leg testing day.

Lat Pulls
135x10
165x10
195x10
215x8x2
215x6 - neutral grip
195x8

Seated Row Machine
170x10
210x10
230x8
245x6
210x8

Leg Press
350x10
530x10
670x10
720x10
810x10

DB Rows
120x10x2

Leg still feels good. Just the slightest twinge where I had so much pain before. Right now, an hour or so later, it is just tighter there. But the previous sharp pains are still MIA.

Solid PR Skip…and sharp pains MIA is a good thing… let’s keep it that way!

Definitely feeling the pain yesterday and, to a lesser degree, today. But it is in both thighs. So, I am going to claim it as normal, not the previous issue.

Lesser pain is a great thing.

Yes sir it is! I will take it any day.

Another good day on Military Press.
Once again, wasn’t feeling it going into the gym. Got there and someone was in my rack (Yes, I said MY rack.). They were gracing it with 145# squats supersetted with pull-ups. I guess I can’t complain about the squatting in a power rack. It was frustrating nonetheless.
Weights felt heavy and my shoulders felt iffy, but it all came together.

Military Press
Barx20
95x10
135x10
175x5
205x5
235x3
260x3
280x3 - got 3 for the 2nd week in a row. Think I had a 4th in there.
290x2 - PR +1 rep since back. 3/4 rep off lifetime PR of 3 reps
245x8 - matches lifetime PR

I think I am close to where I was. Just in time to start losing weight. smh

Reverse Flyes
55x10x2
45x10x2
30x8

DB Laterals
30x12x2

Once again, could barely move my arms afterwards. It is a good burn/pain though.
Really happy with the double at 290#. Tried for a 3rd but only got it 1/4 to 1/3 up.
The 245x8 was a pleasant surprise. It was a balls to the wall set. I need it.

Great work pushing that much weight overhead.

Strong work. 290x2!! Back above 300 is nice!!

Thanks biker…Dave.
The past two weeks have been good for lifting. Hopefully I can get a few more in and set some real PRs.

Bench Day

Interesting day… I felt tired…no doubt from my short sleep last night. Left tricep and pec felt weird. I think I ended up either slightly pulling or straining my left pec. Nothing major, just tight and a bit tender when I flex.

It didn’t help that a guy in the gym, who was doing MP, came over and asked me a couple of questions. He’s a younger fellow (22), but has spent his time in the gym. He was struggling to do a strict MP with 135#. I had seen him do seated DB press, though, with 100’s.
I walked him through my form and next set he hit about 10 good reps with 135#. Such a little thing, but so important.
Only downside for me was that I ended up cooling down between my next to last and last set. That really tweaked my pec.

Anyway…

Bench
Barx20
95x10
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x3
315x3
335x3
350x2 - +1 rep PR - since back
335x3
315x3

Facepulls - alternating grip
115x10x4
95x10

I am pleased with the 350x2, given how my left side was feeling. Hopefully it loosens up before Wednesday.

You just chewing up those PR’s. I think you’re just showing off now!..lol Congrats. It was nice of you to help, regardless.

He’s a good guy. I was glad to help and glad someone thought I might have a smidgen of advice to give.

These PRs are retreads. Hopefully some new ones happen in the future.
That said, I won’t gripe about getting back to where I was.

Back Day…Mother’s Day and sore pec edition

Pec was really tight this morning and not wanting to play. That was okay, though. As it is Mother’s Day, I needed to get in and out of the gym and back home.

Stayed light and did some reps. Pec was really not liking the lat pulls.

Lat Pulls
105x15
150x12x3

Seated Row Machine
150x15x2
150x12
230x6x2

Back out the door…