Atlas Shrugged; I Pressed

Thanks Dave. The weight will come off. Just another trip down the same lane.

Okay, only you know what feels right for you. Will be sending happy, skinny but still strong thoughts your way.

LOL…thank you. I very much appreciate it.

Big Man- best of luck with the weight loss goals. And finding the right Dr… it can make a huge difference.

I dont think this weight loss goal will be very hard for you I mean looking at what you lost in the past this will be a piece of cake. With regards to the leg press I read an article by Brian Carroll, who advised not going to deep as it will fuck with your lower back as it always did mine.

Congrats on the return PR

Paul, you are so right. Unfortunately, there appears to be a shortage of docs, around here, that are actually willing to listen and think outside the box. Scratch that, what I am looking isn’t even outside of the box. It is just towards the edge.

Matty, I agree. The weight loss will happen. I just need t wrap my head around it and figure out an eating plan to minimize performance loss.
I will keep that in mind on the leg press. Last thing I need is for something else to aggravate it.

Your strength will not leave you and after losing the weight you will work back into the numbers you’re used to. It may take more time or seem more difficult because we have aged but the journey and struggle is sweet.

Cool the leg press didn’t cause any pain. Hope that keeps up.

Found this awhile back by Dave Tate about diet:

21 days to simple fat loss

All of these have to be done for 21 days straight. If you can’t do it, then you go back to day one and start over.

1. Eat Breakfast

2. Eliminate all refined sugar from your diet

3. Drink more zero calorie fluids

4. If you drink alcohol - drink 50% less

5. Reduce carbs by a few bits per meal. So, if you eat a burger and fries for lunch then don’t eat ALL the fries. If you eat them all start over on day 1.

6. Exercise 5 days per week for 30 minutes. What type? It doesn’t matter…just do something!

7. If you think it’s not a good food choice, then DON’T eat it. There’s more food choice education out there then there has ever been in history. You can’t seriously tell me you think loaded potato skins are better than a salad for an appetizer, ice cream is better than fruit, etc.

That’s it. Very simple.

That is quite the roller coaster weight story. I wish you success with your current weight loss goal. You know we’re here to support you!

Steve, that is similar to what I do.
Sugar goes first.
Then I start knocking off the breads and pasta.
Then I adjust calories and exercise as needed.

Once difference is that I am going to group carbs around workouts. Starting at lunch on Wednesday, I can eat any non-sugary carbs I want. Post Wednesday evening workout, I can have moderate carbs. Eat lots of protein and few simple carbs on Thursday and Friday morning.
Carb up, starting at lunch on Friday (again, no sugar). After Saturday’s workout, protein and moderate carbs. After Sunday’s workout, go higher protein, lower carbs until lunch on Wednesday.

I need the carbs to have any energy in the gym. And I need the protein spike right before and after the workouts to recover. I will work on calorie deficit in the time in between.
It should come out to about 98 hours a week of reasonable caloric deficit and 78 hours of high protein and carbs for fuel…hopefully just above maintenance.
Cutting out sugar and, hopefully, burning the simple carbs in the gym, should help keep me out of fat storage mode.

That is basically what I did last year and dropped 40#.

Snap, I am glad that you said “we”. At this point, it might take a few of you to support me…lol.

My diet is just workout more, increase the swimming volume, cut out everything but meat and veggies for a few days. I think the heaviest I’ve ever lifted at is maybe 250 and now I hang around 235 which seems to be my “natural weight”. Back in the day my best competitive lifts were at 220 but I was to tall for that weight class.

But Harry, you are kind of a freak of nature…and I mean that in the best way possible.
I suspect that part of what you have accomplished is simply because you refused to fail.

Kind of a bizarre day. I felt weird/off all afternoon. Hit the gym feeling really disconnected and anxious. I have no idea why.
I didn’t even really want to go to the gym. I assumed it was going to be a lackluster day. And while I didn’t set the world on fire, it was by far the best MP day I have had since starting back. Go figure…

Military Press
barx20
95x10
135x10
175x5
205x5
235x3
260x3
275x3x2
280x3 - +1 Rep PR…since returning - Finally figured out where I put that damned 3rd rep!
285x1.5 - just ran out of gas

Reverse Flyes
55x10x2
45x10x3

DB Laterals
25x12x2

My shoulders were so fried that I could barely get my hoodie on afterwards. Figures that the 1st day of the new eating plan would be my best workout. Life’s just trying to screw with me.

1 Like

It is just telling you… “You got this!” Congrats again.

awesome PR Skip, what time frame are shooting for your weight loss goal?

Paul, if I don’t decide that feeling strong is more important than the money…and that is always a possibility…I need to have it off by the end of October.
Yesterday makes it that much harder to do. I seemed to be on my game. If I had near perfect form, I believe that 315# might have gone. So close…

Good work with or w/o gas.

I am not sure life is quite that kind…lol. But, I’m up for a good scrap.

Thanks biker. Just trying to keep moving forward/