Atlas Shrugged; I Pressed

Back Day - if you can call it that.
It was a late night, last night. And I was feeling beat up.
Not sure if I did one set too many on bench or if the lack of adequate food contributed to it.
Either way, got in a token workout and hoping to feel recovered by Wednesday.

Seated Row Machine
150x10
190x10
230x10
245x8 - 245# is as high as the machine goes
245x6

Lat Pulls
180x10
200x10
200x8 - neutral grip
200x7 - neutral grip

Called it there and took my daughter out for lunch.

I have jury duty tomorrow. Not high on my list of fun things to do. At least work pays me for it, though.

Jury duty ended early. Person changed their plea, after we had been selected and seated,
Was all pretty painless.

That’s good luck on the jury duty. Strong work on your bench, it’s great when everything is clicking and your making steady progress.

Thanks GV.
I am worried that I am about to hit a wall, though.

With my company health insurance, I can get a lump sum payment, if I can lose 10% of my body weight, by the end of…I think it is October. Of course, that is 10% from when they weighed me…before Thanksgiving, Christmas and me eating to gain strength.
Basically, if I start at the beginning of May, I need to lose 1.5# a week until the end of October, to be safe.
I can do that, physically, no problem. It is the mental that will be an issue. Losing at that rate will likely result in diminished strength. That is a huge issue with me.

Hitting 315# before the end of April would make that a lot more palatable. That might be slightly out of reach, though.

Interesting incentive your insurance company is offering. I’m assuming it’s for health purposes?

One way to think of the loss of strength is in relative terms. Set it up as a ratio so you can see where you are as a percent of bodyweight rather than just in term of absolute strength. Being small, I do this all the time:)

It is for health purposes. Basically, if you are under a certain BMI, and don’t smoke, you get a discount on your rate. Jennifer gets hers, because of her BMI. I am well over, according to the standard BMI chart. So, If I lose 10% of my body weight, I get the same discount, just in a lump sum, at the end of the year.

The frustrating part is BMI is nowhere near what the chart claims. I make no claims to not carrying a very healthy spare tire. And I figure losing 40# would get me back into 34-36 pants. But when I last dropped a ton (7 years ago), I weighed 224#. Jennifer all but made me stop losing weight because she thought I was starting to look freakishly thin. I was 6’1", 224#, wearing 34 pants and the chart said I was at a BMI of 30.

According to the chart, at 6’1", I would have to get down to 182# to be in the “normal” range. The least I have weighed since I was 14, was 187#, when I was 27. I had 14.5" arms, droopy shoulders and wore a size 48 coat. Now I have 18.5" arms, respectable shoulders and have to get a coat size of 56 just so I can move my arms.
Basically, I have to be under 220# to be under a 30, on their chart. If I ever hit that weight, it is because I developed a terminal illness or had an accident and have been in a coma for two months.

And I have thought about the ratio angle. My thing is, certain numbers are burned into my head. 315# on MP and 405# on bench…
At the weight I would like to hit and maintain, though (255#), a 340# MP (1.34 x body weight) and a 425# bench (1.67 x body weight) would seem worthy goals. Both of which are more than I can do now at my present body weight.

sorry so long…

I get it.

BMI is a crock of shit. And I can’t believe credible medical sources use it for much of anything. It doesn’t take bone structure into account (which matters, trust me) nor what the tissue content is (fat or muscle). And, of course, muscle weighs more. Duh.

I understand the predicament.

After this year, I am going to have to find someone who can do a proper BMI on me. Otherwise I would have get get under 230#, next year. That isn’t going to willingly happen.

No biggie, though. It’s just money… I would rather have my sanity.

While in the military almost every member of my specialty were over the BMI limited. As soon as you were accepted into phase 1 training you were granted a waiver from the normal weight standards.

There’s no “proper” BMI. The number only looks at height and weight. Measuring fat content (accurately, which most methods like calipers do not do) and taking into account factors like blood pressure, resting heart rate, and cholesterol levels would provide a far better health assessment.

What was your branch and specialty?

Harry, you guys are “studs”, though. I am still working in the “spud” range…lol.

Snap, I should have worded that better. I meant that I need to find someone who can do a more accurate BMI calculation…DEXA, hydrostatic weighing, bioelectrical impedance, etc…

USAF Pararescue (PJ) 1T200.

You had mentioned awhile back about Subic bay and the Phillipines so I assumed you were in the Navy. What sort of work does Paarescue do?

Now you got me started, Rescue members of all service, and civilians when required, whenever, wherever, however. “Superman School” = Ft Bragg, Jump, fixed wing, rotary + HALO, Dive = dive to 120’, Af Combat Dive and egress at San Diego, climb (mountaineering), fight (Army Airborne School). Then Emt- Paramedic school. Survival School, etc. thrown in for good measure. Always assigned to the little known AF Special Ops or to other branches Special Ops during deployment. 1 of the 2 enlisted USAF Special Ops AFSCs. That kinda covers.
My house is in Olongapo near Subic and I worked a lot with the Navy there. I was assigned out of Clark AB in Angeles City, though.

BMI is just a formula based on height and weight. It has nothing to do with fat percentage, which is what dexa, hydro, bio impedance, etc. measure. That’s the problem with BMI.

Okay. I’ll step off the soapbox now.

Well, I appreciate your service. Reads like you had fun doing all that. You made 20 yrs ?

I was #32 in the 1969 draft lottery, so it took awhile to appreciate my Vietnam era Navy service. Oddly, my old friends with high draft #s now confess guilt feelings for not having served. I always go out of my way to tell young guys in uniform that I appreciate their service.

Loved it. I did 30, 73-2003. Would have stayed for life but the wife and Uncle Sugar wouldn’t let me.

You went in the year I got off active duty. I thought Uncle Sugar wouldn’t go past 20 for full retirement. Interesting.

I may be misunderstanding BMI, then. I thought it was a guess at percentage of body fat based on height/weight…which would naturally vary from person to person, as you said, based on a multitude of factors.

Either way, I will need a different way to measure, after this year. No way I am willingly going down that low.