Low bar is awesome. It’s literally the only way I’ve ever squatted. I actually don’t know if I can DO a high bar squat, haha.
I did low bar when I was powerlifting, just what the coach had us do. I thought it was awesome in gear, but really wanted to hit some clean high bars once I got out of that. Idk, something about how damn smooth some of the CrossFit guys look when they lift, just looks “right” to me. But, I may just not have the damn leverages for it. Low bar is feeling a bit odd, but it’s been years since I did it, so I think it will take a few sessions for my shoulders to open up a bit. Still, the 275 moved pretty decently. Even if I do fall forward a bit, at least with lowbar I can pretty easily good morning that shit up
From what I can see, I’d believe you have the right leverages for low bar. You appear short torso’d like me. It allows us to good morning without as much risk to the lower back compared to our longer torso brethren, as the lever arm is shorter. But it also means the quick lifts are never going to happen.
sigh but the quick lifts look so damn cool.
Granted, I never do them…. And I don’t really know how… and they aren’t really in line with my training goals… but they still look cool lol. Maybe I’m just salty because my wife is very good at them
Work for today:
Bunch of med ball throws, mainly slams
Bench: 45x10, 135x5, 185x3, 205x3, 220x9 (Comeback PR), 205x5, 205x5, 205x5, 205x5, 205x5
Ring rows: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
Banded chin-ups: Bx7, 7, 7
Axle press: 115x8, 115x8, 115x10
- quick one today, managed to fit all this in about 35 minutes
- bench PR was unexpected. Hoping to get 8, honestly might of even had a 10th rep in me. Feeling strong, probably because of the next bullet
- AM weight: 247.5. Put on 9lbs in 4 damn days. Now to be fair, I’m sure a lot of that is bloat, I can’t imagine putting on over 2lbs a fat 4 days in a row, but I’m also sure a lot isn’t bloat. Food has honestly been decent, but the drinking is killing me. My in-laws drink like fish, and I really need to stop keeping up with them. I regret it every time. Thankfully, tonight it the last night with family, and drinks are off the menu. After this, I’ve got a good few months with no interruptions to just really chase some goals
Work for today:
Deadlift: 135x5, 225x3, 275x2, 315x2, 365x1, 380x8 (Comeback PR), 330x5, 330x5, 330x5
High bar Box squat: 45x5, 135x5, 225x4, 275x4, 315x4, 340x4, 365x4 (PR by default)
Conditioning: 20 min cycling ride, 353 calories
- deadlifts went very well. 380 moved easy, this set of 8 was definitely easier than my set of 7 @ 375 two weeks ago. Movements starting to feel familiar again.
- box squats were interesting. My box is a little higher than I would like, but I think low enough to still get some work. Took a video to get the crowds consensus on that.
Have covid. Great. Feel alright, little crappy but not terrible. Thought it was just a cold. Giving it at least another day until I’m back at the weights.
Sorry to hear it brother. I’m a little congested but nothing terrible, hope you aren’t dealing with anything too rough
That sucks dude. Hope you both heal up quick.
Work for today:
Med balls overhead throws and slams to warmup.
Press: 45x10, Quick Sprint to the toilet as my bowels unleashed,
95x5, 115x3, 135x2, 155x1, 175x4, 145x5, 145x5, 145x5, 145x5, 145x5
Pulls/chins: 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 4
Ring Rows: 6, 6, 6
Close Grip Bench Press: 135x12, 155x12, 170x9
Z Curls: 15x15, 15x15
-Covid took a week to just whip my ass. Coughing up a lung, guts messed up 6 ways to sunday. Honestly didnt think it was too terrible, until my wife pointed out the blood on my pillowcase from coughing throughout the night. Thing is, I never get sick. Never missed a day of school, whenever ive had any bug or anything it never really knocks me out, or sticks around for more than like 24 hours. Well, this did. I never felt that bad, just an intense cough, lot of mucus, and some runny guts. But, I could not lift. Tried twice, broke out into intense fits of coughing the moment I came even close to a real brace. took the time off, been eating nothing but white rice, ground turkey, and chicken stock, getting a lot of sleep. Basically if I havent been at work, ive been sleeping.
-side note, did still have work this week. Got a throat swab out in town, tested positive for covid. Work made me get a test there since I guess the DOD doesnt trust walgreens, and they had the rapid test for us (which apparently does a piss poor job of detecting the omicron varient, from what google tells me anyway). Rapid test had me negative, a full 9 hours after my initial positive test, so the Navy determined I didnt have Covid, and I was still expected to come in. Same thing happened to about a dozen of us at this command. And now the command is having an outbreak of positive covid cases. Cant imagine why.
-Still coughing like crazy, and sleeps a bit rough, but ive gotten my bowels under control and can seem to hold a brace okay, so its time to get back into the gym.
-Onto the lifting. Ive hit 175x5 plenty of times before, so was pretty pissed I didnt hit it today. That being said, definitely came into this workout not at 100%, and feel like I put up some decent numbers in spite of that.
- Close grip bench felt good, really just trying to hammer the triceps on accessory work.
-Messed around with ring rows a bit, got it to where I am extremely horizontal, pulling a lot more of my bodyweight. I actually love these now. I can “squeeze” my upper back like crazy, get a fantastic contraction while holding at the top, really just feeling my rhomboids and rear delts get fried. Definitely will be doing a lot more like this.
Glad to see you’re on the mend. Hope you’re back to 100% soon.
Work for today:
Squat: 135x10, 185x3, 225x2, 255x2, 285x1, 305x1, 320x2 (lost my balance on rep 3, pretty spectacular failure), 135x5, 135x5, 225x5, 245x5, 245x5, 245x5
Good Morning: 135x8, 145x8, 145x8, 155x8
Front squat: 140x8, 140x8, 140x12
- low bar not going great today. Just not used to it yet, but my balance was definitely suffering a bit. Weight wasn’t terrible on the top set, but at one point my balance just tilted off, and I dropped it forward. Nice.
- did some high bar after my fail. Went pretty well.
- I don’t really care about having a massive squat, I care about having strong legs. My issue is, whenever I start chasing a big squat, I feel like my back gets strong as hell while my legs stay fairly consistent. Not great.
- front squats went great. These are feeling really good. Took a video, I really like my form on these. Staying upright, definitely taxing my legs. Going to keep these in steady rotation, maybe even make them a main movement eventually. Just feel like these are giving me the training stimulus I’m looking for more than just about any other squat variation.
- honestly, would love a leg press. There’s only a few things I miss about a commercial gym; but that is certainly one. So easy (well, hard, but simple anyways) to just make your legs brutally strong, then it’s just tying your squat form together to let your legs transfer power in the squat. Did that a lot when I was competing, worked well.
Good to see you back but don’t push too hard mate. Take the time to let the body heal properly and you will be better in the long run. Take care
Thanks brother. I think today was definitely my head being more gung ho than my body. Still not feeling 100%, and my brace just wasn’t there the way it normally is. I should know better… but I’ve never really been smart when it comes to turning off the gas. Hopefully a few more days and I’ll be at 100% again, but still happy I could get at least a bit of good work in today.
Work for today:
Ring rows: 5, 5, 5, 5; 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Bench: 45x10, 135x5, 185x3, 225x2, 250x2, 185x5, 195x5, 205x5, 215x5, 225x3 (moved fast, but felt heavy, called it)
Pull-ups: 5, 5
- the plan was 5 on top set of bench. Got pinned trying for 3. I hit 220 for 9 ten days ago, hit 255x3 a few weeks before that and possibly could of gotten a fourth. Lifts are just dogshit, which I think is a sign that I’m not as recovered from this Covid as I’d like to tel myself. Feel okay, little cough, some fatigue, but damn I just can not perform in the gym. Pissed.
- going to give it a few days, then start back over with my 8s top set week. This little cycle just got thrown to hell, resetting and getting back to it. Hate doing that.
Work for today:
Box jump: 7x3
Deadlift: 135x5, 225x3, 275x2, 315x2, 365x1, 385x8 (Comeback PR), 335x5, 335x5, 335x5
Box squat: 45x10, 135x10, 225x5, 275x4, 315x6, 315x6, 315x6, 275x10
RDL: 135x10, 185x10, 205x10,
Ab wheel: 10, 10, 10
Conditioning: 800m run: 3:31
- first day back at it since Covid where I felt like myself. Went into the gym feeling hungry for the weights. Did not disappoint.
- starting over on my 8s week, hit a pretty good deadlift PR. Throwing the video up, I think I had another rep or two in the tank if need be. Also, peep the massive double chin from keeping my head tucked lol.
- still have mixed feelings about box squats. Partially feeling like the box is just too high. Also not sure if I am doing them right. Mixed it between fully sitting on the box, and just kinda “tapping” it with my rear before shooting it, not sure which is “right”
- RDLs felt good
- just ran a quick half mile after this workout to blow out my lungs. Still congested as hack, hacking up phlegm all day, hoping to loosen that up. Not a sprint, felt like a pace I could hold for a mile, which means my run is actually feeling pretty dang good.
- also just realized first time running since the broken toe. Didn’t hurt a bit, so that’s a win
Work for today:
Chins/pulls: 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 3, 3
Press: 45x10, 95x5, 115x3, 135x2, 155x1, 160x8 (Comeback PR), 135x6, 135x6, 135x6, 135x6, 135x6
Ring rows: 7, 7, 6
Floor press: 185x6, 205x6, 205x5
Lat raise: 3x15x15
Band pull aparts: rx50
- press went very well. 160x8 is a PR I can be happy with. Was going back and forth between 135 and 140 on back off sets, split the difference and added an extra rep with 135
- chins going smooth, not sure if I am getting the best progress from doing lots of submax sets, may go back to max reps for just a few sets
- rep strength feeling stronger than top end strength. As long as some strength is going up, that’s a win in my book.
- high rep band pull aparts are awesome and I need to stop forgetting about that
- AM weight: 237.8
Work for today:
Atlas CFT: AMRAP 15 min
5 power cleans 95lb
5 burpee pull-ups
Completed: 10 rounds +5 power cleans, burpee pull-ups, and squats (Comeback PR)
Previous PR: 7 rounds + 5 power cleans
- first time doing this in a few months. Just demolished my old PR on this. Dropping body weight and just generally getting into something close to athletic shape is really showing through here. Goal was 9 rounds, blew through that.
- downside of losing weight, clothes aren’t fitting lol. I think I would of been past 11 rounds if I didn’t have to keep stopping to pull up my shorts. Don’t want to buy anything new since I’m still dropping pretty quickly, so depending on that drawstring to maintain my decency for the next few months lol.
- AM weight: 237.0