Atkins Was FAT

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
People can drop up to 10 or 15 pounds in water weight and fat in the first 2 weeks, and this make them go “ZOMG! This diet rocks soooo hard” and hopefully they stick with it.
[/quote]

lolz

The thing that boggles my mind about PETA is this: they spend countless money, time, and energy picketing KFC’s and shit, but what do they do for actual animal conservation? We have species going extinct-EXTINNCT!- and they’re worried about people drinking milk? Last I checked cows and chickens are not on the endangered species list.

If they truly believed in the “ethical treatment of animals,” they would try to save the tiger, black rhino, and all of the other animals being killed to make bullshit Chinese medicines or through loss of habitat. Instead they are just a bunch of morons who accomplish nothing except making me want to eat more meat.

Chris, thank you for posting the real story. To the OP, before you start a post, do a little research, and before you make comments like, “I find that Ironic” realize that the irony is your lack of information.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
From a past T-Nation article:

"This year Dr. Robert Atkins died at age 72 after suffering a head injury from a fall on an icy sidewalk. While in a coma, his major organs failed and his body bloated up with 60 pounds of fluid, which is common in that situation. Sad story. But leave it to the now functionally insane PETA organization (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) to make it even sadder.

After Atkins died, the group sent private medical records to the media and claimed that Atkins was obese because of his low carb diet. They did this through their front group, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (which is actually lead by a vegan psychiatrist.)

This isn’t the first time PETA has used its pretend doctors group to misinform the public about nutrition. This is the same group largely responsible for keeping the “high protein diets are dangerous” myth alive. This year they ran full page ads in major publications which perpetuated every protein myth ever invented.

Now PETA has started another website, HealthySchoolLunches.org, which sounds good on the surface but is actually a backdoor attempt to get meat, milk and other dairy products out of school cafeterias. Remember, these are the same people who want parents who feed their kids meat to be charged with child abuse.

It seems PETA, once a fairly noble organization, has taken a “by any means necessary” approach. No wonder they’re often referred to these days as the “vegan Taliban.” Dirty tactics, false news reports, front groups with hidden agendas, misleading health and nutrition info… PETA has them all. And that’s why we’re giving them the Dirtbags of the Year award. We toast you with a nice glass of moo juice. Clink."

[/quote]

Atkins taught people about the dangers of refined sugar,which I think was a great thing.
But I also think he took it way too far.
I hate it when people call pure sugar carbs.
No.Carbs are fruits,vegetables,and other plant sources.
While he educated the public about the dangers of eating too much sugar(yes,even a little sugar isn’t bad for you),filling up on bacon fat and sausages without any fiber is just asking for trouble.
I was actually thinking Dr. Atkins would die from colon cancer if he were to die in the near future.
ANY diet that tells you to shy away from fruits and vegetables is unhealthy and just complete bullshit.
I remember when people were loading up on “low carb” candy,pasta,bread,and saying how “carb sensitive” they are.
Well,you wouldn’t be “carb sensitive” if you put down the soda and went running or lifted some weights.
Atkins believed you didn’t have to exercise,which was complete B.S. too.
You had America talking about how all carbs are bad.
Well,if we had an active nation who did SOME form of exercise daily or weekly,then they’d know that they’d actually need some quality carbs.
And the person who said we all should be on low carb diets has his head up his ass.
I guess long long distance runners should be on a low carb diet too…right?
Maybe a low sugar diet,but not a no carb diet.
Just doesn’t work for me if I wanna stay cancer-free.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
ANY diet that tells you to shy away from fruits and vegetables is unhealthy and just complete bullshit.[/quote]

Which diet are you thinking of here?

[quote]MookJong wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
ANY diet that tells you to shy away from fruits and vegetables is unhealthy and just complete bullshit.

[/quote]

Really, you aren’t talking about the diet that Atkin’s actually put forth, but instead the layman’s understanding of the induction phase.

Do any Atkin’s critics actually take the time to understand his stance?

[quote]vroom wrote:
MookJong wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:

Really, you aren’t talking about the diet that Atkin’s actually put forth, but instead the layman’s understanding of the induction phase.

Do any Atkin’s critics actually take the time to understand his stance?[/quote]

Come on.
Okay,so you have a few more carbs after the induction phase.
From what I remember it’s no more than 50 carbs after the induction phase.
Now how on earth are you gonna get enough fruits and vegetables on 50 grams a day?
It’s hard enough to on 70 grams.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Do any of Atkin’s critics actually take the time to understand his stance?[/quote]

No, they really don’t. But it’s somewhat understandable. Usually a person first hears about the Atkin’s diet from a friend who’s just started the diet, and is all excited and telling everyone about it and what he can/can’t eat at that moment, when he’s still in the Induction phase.

Of course this doesn’t sound very healthy to the listener, who therefore has little motivation to pick up one of Atkin’s books and get the complete picture for herself.

By the way, I met Robert Atkins at a book signing two years before his death, and he was not overweight at that time. Not slim, either, but in reasonable shape for a 70 year old, and full of energy.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
Now how on earth are you gonna get enough fruits and vegetables on 50 grams a day?
It’s hard enough to on 70 grams.[/quote]

There’s no hard limit to how many grams of carbs per day you can eat in the final phase of Atkins - it’s whatever level you as an individual have found you can tolerate without regaining weight.

Obviously, a very active person with lots of muscle mass could handle a much greater carb intake than a sedentary person with little muscle.

Anyway, it depends on what you’re chosing to eat. A pound of broccoli has 30g total carbs, 12g of which is fiber, leaving 18g net carbs. How many pounds of broccoli can you eat per day?

[quote]MookJong wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah. It’s not Atkins because that’s not what he told you to do. Even the stupid induction period which extremely low carb included some vegetables. More vegetables and fruits and grains are supposed to be progressively added.

Atkins woke up the masses to the dangers of an excess of refined sugary foods. For that he should be commended. And whatever flaws his programme has, it is still an infinite amount better than the standard low protein, low-fat, high carb diet that physicians and nutritionists have been peddling for the last 30-40 years.

Compare the latter stages of his diet with that of a standard low-fat diet and see which one best resembles your own diet. Low-fat bagel for breakfast anyone?

It wasnt Atkin’s fault that the sheep didnt follow his programme through or even read it thoroughly!

As for PETA… words fail me. Despicable organisation.

Even with all that knowledge Atkins left us… We are still the most obese nation in the world. Amazing.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
Come on.
It’s hard enough to on 70 grams.[/quote]

Atkin’s dealt with “effective” carbs which really changes the ball game. Once you’ve subtracted fiber from your carb counts, you’ve got a lot more room to maneuver.

Of course, if you were talking about the actual Atkin’s diet, you’d probably know that.

At the same time, the effective carbs issue did lead to some frankenfoods with calories coming from anything but carbs, which wasn’t really what the diet was supposed to be about.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Isnt Bauer 270? Jeez, Bauer, you should really be careful. You may die.[/quote]

I actually died 20 pounds ago from massive kidney and liver failure from all the evil protein I’d been ingesting.

I am currently just a human head connected to a keyboard-typing robot. This sucks…

[quote]Curzon wrote:
I can’t stand PETA. They are a militant group of extremeists.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20404164-5006786,00.html

They are grandstanding in the wake of Steve Irwin’s death.

What a croc.[/quote]

A clever pun, or tragic irony.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
Come on.
It’s hard enough to on 70 grams.

Atkin’s dealt with “effective” carbs which really changes the ball game. Once you’ve subtracted fiber from your carb counts, you’ve got a lot more room to maneuver.

Of course, if you were talking about the actual Atkin’s diet, you’d probably know that.

At the same time, the effective carbs issue did lead to some frankenfoods with calories coming from anything but carbs, which wasn’t really what the diet was supposed to be about.[/quote]

I still contend this though - The whole atkins thing got really out of hand when he started trying to make his own food and energy bars and such.

Yes, it was loaded with Gasp soy protein.

Still, I think 50 years from now when they finally have this whole nutrition thing figured out, they will praise Atkins as a genius. You see, he is right. Human beings are better off to only eat three things - Fruit, veggies and meat. Thats really about it. Yea, we all here eat some diary and whole grains to get in extra calories, but we all get away with that because our activity level is high.

[quote]MookJong wrote:
Coldiron wrote:
A few years ago, at least a dozen heavy co-workers went on the Atkin’s diet.

Did they actually go on the Atkin’s diet … or CLAIM to be on the Atkin’s diet?

These are often two very different things.

[/quote]

WTF!!! Is being on the Atkin’s diet such a prestigious event, that one would just pretend to be on it? Yes, the people that went on the diet were passing around his books and printing out diet plans and schedules. I only observed their eating habits in the cafeteria. I did not follow them home, or film a documentary. Although the dieter’s did loose alot of fat in the beginning, I did notice that muscle was also sacrificed. Personally I thought they had a gaunt sickly look. As I stated earlier, today they are as heavy or even larger than they were before.

[quote]Coldiron wrote:
MookJong wrote:
Coldiron wrote:
A few years ago, at least a dozen heavy co-workers went on the Atkin’s diet.

Did they actually go on the Atkin’s diet … or CLAIM to be on the Atkin’s diet?

These are often two very different things.

WTF!!! Is being on the Atkin’s diet such a prestigious event, that one would just pretend to be on it? Yes, the people that went on the diet were passing around his books and printing out diet plans and schedules. I only observed their eating habits in the cafeteria. I did not follow them home, or film a documentary.

Although the dieter’s did loose alot of fat in the beginning, I did notice that muscle was also sacrificed. Personally I thought they had a gaunt sickly look. As I stated earlier, today they are as heavy or even larger than they were before. [/quote]

Every T-Nation contributor and poster could sit round a huge table and thrash out a perfect nutrition plan for each and every one of those people and they would probably still end up as complete lard-asses! You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.

There is absolutely no reason why someone who followed the Atkins plan to the letter and STUCK with it wouldnt see very good results.

The latter stages are based around eating meat, fish, dairy, fruit and vegetables. Throw in some heavy lifting, a bit of cardio and some decent post-workout nutrition and I cant see much wrong with that. Even if you were ignorant of these additions youd still be streets ahead of the average persons high carb, low protein diet.

[quote]Coldiron wrote:

A few years ago, at least a dozen heavy co-workers went on the Atkin’s diet. That’s all I heard about for about a year. Today, every single one is heavier than they were when they started this diet.

The good side, I don’t have to listen to any bullshit about how great the Atkin’s diet is. I can’t recall hearing the name for over a year. Everyone want’s the easy quick fix. In my opinion, the best diet is no diet. Eat clean, live clean, and keep your body in motion. It’s that f~ckin’ simple.[/quote]

To most people, that IS a diet.