Athletic Animals

[quote]belligerent wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
For those who are interested, America’s Justin Gatlin has matched but not broken Powell’s record. And they are both running the 100m on July 28 at the London Grand Prix. It’s expected to be quite a showdown, with one of them possibly setting a new world record.

Actually, Gatlin pulled out of that race. The showdown is off.[/quote]

Oh, that sucks.

If you do want to nitpick, you’re right. A sprinter running at 27.89 mph would cover about 121 meters in 9.76 seconds.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
You are misinformed. Bailey’s 27.1 occurred during the 100m final and this is stated in the IAAF handbook.[/quote]

Sorry, I got that mixed up with another measurement.

Neither was Bailey’s instantaneous time (I believe it was a radar gun measurement, which is highly questionable). Given that Hayes made up over 6m on the best runners at the time, the 8.6 is likely. That would be 26mph average for the 100m.

If these measurements were being made on 60m or 70m runs, I would agree with you. For 100m runs, I would think the best runners are backing off slightly from top speed, in order to improve 100m time.

He may not be fast, but he sure is happy!

[quote]Cat Nip wrote:
He may not be fast, but he sure is happy![/quote]

That was completely uncalled for and disgusting. Should I expect more from an “Educator”? WTF!?

This list wouldn’t be complete without squirrels.

[quote]oboffill wrote:
Cat Nip wrote:

That was completely uncalled for and disgusting. Should I expect more from an “Educator”? WTF!? [/quote]

Relax, it’s a monkey, not a man. Sheesh.

Maybe this piece of information will make up for my offensive photo?

The claws of a cheetah only partially retract. This gives it a natural version of cleats for gripping as it runs.

[quote]Cat Nip wrote:

The claws of a cheetah only partially retract. This gives it a natural version of cleats for gripping as it runs. [/quote]

I dont think a cheetah can run 3 miles at that pace. they are quick ambush hunters and have no endurance. For the most part, their hunts are usually only mildly successful becauses they cannot keep their speed up for long and the prey gets away by out maneuvering them.

Cheetahs usually chase prey at only about half of the maximum speed.

[quote]Cat Nip wrote:
He may not be fast, but he sure is happy![/quote]

Damn, I think that was very called for, I laughed so hard after seeing that.

[quote]baretta wrote:
Cat Nip wrote:

The claws of a cheetah only partially retract. This gives it a natural version of cleats for gripping as it runs.

I dont think a cheetah can run 3 miles at that pace. they are quick ambush hunters and have no endurance. For the most part, their hunts are usually only mildly successful becauses they cannot keep their speed up for long and the prey gets away by out maneuvering them.[/quote]

cheetahs need to do some energy system work! Someone call up joe defranco or something.

The gorilla can lift ten times it’s own body weight

http://klb.uwstout.edu/GorillaYawning01_2.gif

[quote]baretta wrote:
I dont think a cheetah can run 3 miles at that pace. they are quick ambush hunters and have no endurance. For the most part, their hunts are usually only mildly successful becauses they cannot keep their speed up for long and the prey gets away by out maneuvering them.[/quote]

This is correct. They follow their prey and stike out when they think they have the advantage. They can sprint full speed for only a couple hundred yards, and then they are spent. If they don’t catch their prey on the sprint, they usually fail for the day. It doesn’t help that they prey on Thompson’s gazelles, as they can run over 50mph. Fast predators chasing fast prey.

Also, they aren’t the strongest of the big cats. Leopards and jaguars at comparable sizes are much stronger.

[quote]toughcasey wrote:
The gorilla can lift ten times it’s own body weight

[/quote]

And can rip a man into shreds. NOt the animal to piss off.

[quote]perseng wrote:
Cat Nip wrote:

Damn, I think that was very called for, I laughed so hard after seeing that.
[/quote]
I started laughing right off the bat as well…

WTF? You guys have pics of animal penises and are posting them. That’s got to be something therapy-worthy… you’d think.

[quote]lothario1132 wrote:
WTF? You guys have pics of animal penises and are posting them. That’s got to be something therapy-worthy… you’d think.[/quote]

WTF? You’re offended by animal penii? I think that’s therapy worthy.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Nice info but it misses out possibly the scariest(for me) muhfuggin animal on the face of the planet - the saltwater crocadile. This is apparently one of the most explosively powerful animals there is. OK, they have almost no endurance, but they can power out of the water (aided by their massively powerful tail) and sprint for a moderate distance (around 50 yards) at 40mph. Due to the way their skeleton is arranged, they struggle to turn corners, so if you get chased by one, run in a zig-zag and you might get away… At the other end of the spectrum, the Timberwolf has the greatest endurance of any land mammal. According to David Attenborough, “The loping canter of the timberwolf can, at the last, chase down anything that lives…”. Grizzly bears are also deceptively fast. I saw footage on a nature doc. where a grizzly was chasing some sort of deer and I assumed that the deer would easily outpace the big brute, but fu*k NO! The power of the grizzly allowed it to close ground on the deer even though they were both leaping over fallen logs and brush. Then the deer fooked up and hit a branch and BAM! The grizzly took it straight out with one swipe of its paws! Awesome.[/quote]

Ah, the salt water croc…a beast of beasts. Their greatest assest is that they are masters of ambush hunters. They don’t need to sprint on land much, because they are great at snatching animals at the edge of the water while it drinks. Same with the Nile crocs.

And bears…strongest land animal in North America. Very tempermental and extremely dangerous to hikers.

And the wolves can definitely run down anything they are after. They are kings of prey burn out. I saw a program where a coyote pissed a pack of wolves of and they chased it for about five miles, wore it down, and then killed with severe hatred. Awesome!