Athletes and Race

Okay, there always seems to be talk about how black athletes have an advantage when it comes to power sports, especially when speed and jumping ability are involved.

As a white power athlete (100M sprinter) I think that they myths about blacks being faster or jumping higher are false. I say a white guy can be trained to jump just as high and run just as fast as any black guy.

As an example, I submit Pavle Jovanovic from JB’s G-Flux article. If one does the math, with his 30M time he could run the 40 yard dash in less than 4.3 seconds, and this is weighing 220 lbs.

So what does everyone else here think about the role race plays in athletic success? Please feel free to tell storiesand list stats when available.

Oh crap.

-Fireplug

[quote]fireplug52 wrote:
Oh crap.

-Fireplug[/quote]

Yeah, I wanted to stir things up a bit.

RJ, :wink:

[quote]fireplug52 wrote:
Oh crap.

-Fireplug[/quote]

Actually, hes right, fireplug. Most black people are too stupid to figure out how to make the big heavy thing move and so can’t lift well. Also, all that fried chicken can’t help them too much. However, the cops chasing them from the starting line works to their advantage, a very powerful incentive.

[quote]SpeedStrength wrote:
fireplug52 wrote:
Oh crap.

-Fireplug

Actually, hes right, fireplug. Most black people are too stupid to figure out how to make the big heavy thing move and so can’t lift well. Also, all that fried chicken can’t help them too much. However, the cops chasing them from the starting line works to their advantage, a very powerful incentive.[/quote]

Wow, I’m pretty sure the original post was nothing like that.

As far as black athletes being better… I think there is some credence to that. Just look at the number of American white guys in the NBA, you can’t tell me that a disparity that great can be contributed to social or lifestyle factors because there are a lot more white kids that play basketball growing up. However, I don’t think it’s a very drastic difference. At the elite level, 1% is a huge difference, on the average it’s hardly anything. At any level below top-level D1 athletics, I think pretty much anything can be evened out by proper training and a nutrition, but to play at that top level you pretty much have to be a freak- either freakishly skilled or freakishly athletic or both.

If you look at the Olympic 100-meter dash record holders, the last white guy to have it was Alan Wells of Britain in 1980.

All subsequent record holders Carl Lewis, Linford Christie, Donovan Bailey, Maurice Green and current Olympic record holder Justin Gatlin have been black.

If it’s a myth, it’s a myth that walks the walk (runs the run?) and brings home the medals.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
SpeedStrength wrote:
fireplug52 wrote:
Oh crap.

-Fireplug

Actually, hes right, fireplug. Most black people are too stupid to figure out how to make the big heavy thing move and so can’t lift well. Also, all that fried chicken can’t help them too much. However, the cops chasing them from the starting line works to their advantage, a very powerful incentive.

As far as black athletes being better… I think there is some credence to that. Just look at the number of American white guys in the NBA, you can’t tell me that a disparity that great can be contributed to social or lifestyle factors because there are a lot more white kids that play basketball growing up. However, I don’t think it’s a very drastic difference. At the elite level, 1% is a huge difference, on the average it’s hardly anything. At any level below top-level D1 athletics, I think pretty much anything can be evened out by proper training and a nutrition, but to play at that top level you pretty much have to be a freak- either freakishly skilled or freakishly athletic or both.
[/quote]

Yes, but look at the sport, you are talking basketball, a predominately black sport already. That is like me taking hockey and saying blacks are poor athletes because there are few in the NHL. I think race has very little influence on sports. Still looking at basketball; however, let us look at the European teams and even Puerto Rico who handed Team USA its ass. Some would blame coaching, teamwork, or some other excuse like European’s have excellent fundamentals. How do fundamentals not equal athletic talent?

one of my high school physical education teachers had a theory that black people were physically superior in America because most were descendents of the slaves that came over to America on slave ships. naturally, on the strongest and most physically fit would survive, and thus be able to pass on their genes. just a thought.

[quote]dontknowaboutme wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
SpeedStrength wrote:
fireplug52 wrote:
Oh crap.

-Fireplug

Yes, but look at the sport, you are talking basketball, a predominately black sport already. That is like me taking hockey and saying blacks are poor athletes because there are few in the NHL. I think race has very little influence on sports. Still looking at basketball; however, let us look at the European teams and even Puerto Rico who handed Team USA its ass. Some would blame coaching, teamwork, or some other excuse like European’s have excellent fundamentals. How do fundamentals not equal athletic talent?
[/quote]

I disagree. There are wayyy more white kids playing basketball at the 7th or 8th grade level than black kids. Even most of the college teams are pretty equal. It’s not until you get to the highest levels (top-level d1 or pros) that it becomes mostly black. Hockey is not really a good comparison because there are almost no black guys playing hockey at any level. In any case, as I said before, I don’t really care- it really doesn’t make that big of a difference (if it truly does make a difference).

Why the does this bullshit always have to come up. You guys are always having this black versus white thing going on.

I can’t say for certain, but eventhough he used it as his example, I don’t think the original poster inteded this to be a “black v. white” topic. I think he intended it to be a “races role on athetlticism” discussion.

[quote]deshawn wrote:
Why the does this bullshit always have to come up. You guys are always having this black versus white thing going on.[/quote]

Yeah! That’s right! What the hell guys?!!

You ALWAYS do this stuff! First it’s white against black. Then it’s fat chicks vs skinny chicks, and religion vs science! WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END!!!

Why can’t we all just find our happy place and just get along?

[quote]brucevangeorge wrote:
deshawn wrote:
Why the does this bullshit always have to come up. You guys are always having this black versus white thing going on.

You ALWAYS do this stuff! First it’s white against black. Then it’s fat chicks vs skinny chicks, and religion vs science! WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END!!!

Why can’t we all just find our happy place and just get along?[/quote]

Haha… I don’t think anybody is trying to make this a racist argument at all. I think it’s a legit scientific debate, but personally I don’t think anybody’s going to really come to a definitive conclusion unless studies that aren’t epidemiological are presented.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
brucevangeorge wrote:
deshawn wrote:

Do you know how much times this shit has been brought up on T-Nation. You guys need to focus on something else.

Why can’t we all just find our happy place and just get along?

Haha… I don’t think anybody is trying to make this a racist argument at all. I think it’s a legit scientific debate, but personally I don’t think anybody’s going to really come to a definitive conclusion unless studies that aren’t epidemiological are presented.[/quote]

[quote]deshawn wrote:
Why the does this bullshit always have to come up. You guys are always having this black versus white thing going on.[/quote]

Well this place doesn’t do vi vs. Emacs, so it’s the next best thing.

…sigh…

I think the whole black people are more athletic thing is a cop-out for non black people. They immediately treat their lack of athleticism (or lack of rhythm or whatever) as if its determined by their race…when in fact its just laziness on their part. Black kids in urban areas play basketball nearly every day (I was one of them). Do something everyday for a long ass time and your bound to get good at it.

Genetics have their role in building the model athlete but I do believe many men, regardless of race, can become a great athlete with proper training. Just look at all the Former Fat Boys and Skinny Bastards in the forum to prove my point. Most are non-black.

A brief true encounter:

Guy: “Wow, you can dance really good. Its cuz your black…”
Eessek: “No F***Face…its because I’ve been dancing for 12 years”

The End

I disagree. There are wayyy more white kids playing basketball at the 7th or 8th grade level than black kids. Even most of the college teams are pretty equal. It’s not until you get to the highest levels (top-level d1 or pros) that it becomes mostly black. Hockey is not really a good comparison because there are almost no black guys playing hockey at any level. In any case, as I said before, I don’t really care- it really doesn’t make that big of a difference (if it truly does make a difference).[/quote]

You are right there is no comparison to hockey because hockey is a rich mans sport and there are basketball courts in every nieghborhood.

Nobody has mentioned power lifting. Which race dominates that.

eesseek,

I agree about the cop-outs. I’m white, but growing up basketball was basically my life. I came up in a family that didn’t have a lot of money so we pretty much just played sports 24/7- I lived and breathed bball until the 10th grade when I started getting into volleyball (which I play in college now).

I remember when I was in 7th grade me and one of my best friends (who was also white) were the only white kids on the rep-team we played for. We pretty much crushed everybody in the county that year because we just ran them off the court. All my white friends at school complained that they couldn’t play that [you know what word they used]-ball.

Meanwhile, the reason we could run like that was because that was what we did every single day in practice. When I started playing I could barely run 3 steps without falling over. After playing every day for 6 years of my life in that style of game you better be damn sure I could run the break or I wouldn’t be able to get on the court.

I definitly think that’s a big issue in basketball. Everybody expects the white kids to be fundamentally sound jump-shooters and the black kids to be jumping beans who can’t play point guard- but it’s really all about what kind of coaching and what style of game you’re brought up playing.

I really don’t think genetics makes an impact that training can’t overcome until you get to that elite, top .01% level.

white people dominate oly lifting who have supre fast 30 meter sprints and super high verticals.

white people dominate soccer
shot put, discus, javelin, swiming, cycling, wrestling, icehockey, speed skating, curling, strongman, powerlifting., triple jump, bmxing, motocross, formula one, gymnastics.

blacks domindate running short and long distance.
long jump, baskeball american football.

asians dominate, ping pong, hold da 110 hurdle record, weightlifting, gymnastics, karate etc
thats all i can think of in my head.

the way i see it is it doesnt matter wat ethinicity u r just depends on the individual.

social factors matter too in this country i checked the 100 meter sprint event for the hole northern ireland and there were 5 competitors out of a hole country and the record is 10.38 seconds.

[quote]superscience wrote:
white people dominate oly lifting who have supre fast 30 meter sprints and super high verticals.

white people dominate soccer
shot put, discus, javelin, swiming, cycling, wrestling, icehockey, speed skating, curling, strongman, powerlifting., triple jump, bmxing, motocross, formula one, gymnastics.

blacks domindate running short and long distance.
long jump, baskeball american football.

asians dominate, ping pong, hold da 110 hurdle record, weightlifting, gymnastics, karate etc
thats all i can think of in my head.

the way i see it is it doesnt matter wat ethinicity u r just depends on the individual.

social factors matter too in this country i checked the 100 meter sprint event for the hole northern ireland and there were 5 competitors out of a hole country and the record is 10.38 seconds.

[/quote]

What is wrong with your ability to spell or use even 6th grade level grammar? I am not one to harp on shit like that, but your posts…all of them…are irritating as hell because of the way you type.