Athlete Lean, Athlete Strong: Jump Squat, Medicine Balls, Rest Periods

Coach C,

Few questions I have I didn’t find answers in the forums:

1. Monday Jump squat- is that just doing a jump squat without weight? How do I apply 20% RM?

2. Medicine ball work- heaviest in my gym is 14lbs and a 40lb slam ball. Tuesday medicine ball throw against the wall (Part A) I use the 40lbs ball but it seems light. How do I scale up to make these more difficult?

3.Rest time- I saw others ask about rest time without a clear response. I do as needed between 1 min and 2 min. Different recommendation?

Thanks for your help

It’s a jump with weight, hence the 20%. Either use a barbell (same position as a squat), a DB hel to your chest, or a pair of DB held to your side with the total weight equaling 20% of your max full back squat. In doubt, use less weight.

If you can throw 40lbs against the wall you must be a beast. I worked with an NFL lineman who could bench press over 500lbs and we only used 30lbs… the goal is NOT to throw as much weight as possible, it is to throw a moderate weight as hard and fast as possible

1 Like

Use the shortest rest periods where you performance will not go down. For 1B this is often 90 sec

I can attest. I used a 10kg ball for the program and the ball complexes were brutal.

& @aldebaran

Is there a video that you suggest I look at for medicine ball throw against the wall and slam ball? Maybe I just feel like an idiot when I am doing them, but it is probably because I have incorrect form.

I don’t have a video by myself but this one looks okay for the chest throw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-zHTwXA8mE

Appreciate your help with this.

How about a video/form explanation for bear hug carry with dumbbell? I feel like my core isn’t staying tight and the dumbbell is just going to rip my shirt as it is sliding down my chest when I get tired.

I don’t have a video in stock, and I’m not going to shoot one only to give an answer on the forum. If you are having trouble you can do Zercher carries with a bar instead or Goblet carries.

Finishing up week 4 this week. Great program.

Would you suggest doing this program again for another 4 weeks? Or a different program?

I’ve done this program last year and going to do it again in two weeks. I don’t know what I’ll do after but it will either be:

1. Zombie Apocalypse Workout
  2. Program for strength and athleticism
  3. High Frequency Bodybuilding + added cardio