Athlete Advice

Alright Tmen. In need of some advice here. With my lacrosse season approaching in a couple of months i am kinda stuck on how i should be lifting.

Right now i have 3 very tough conditioning practices a week, and a rec league indoor + basketball game a week. On top of this i am trying to lift 4 days a week.

The problem here is lately my lifts have been going down, i feel like shit most of the time and nagging injuries are popping up.

So any advice on how i should schedule my lifting? I was thinking of going back to 5/3/1 but i don’t know.

My goals: 1. Make the varsity team 2. Continue to get stronger 3. look good.

Thanks for any help.

Addressing your goals:

1. This is all injury prevention, skill work, and weightroom work. In that order. 5/3/1 would be a terrible program as written for any sport that is not an actual barbell oreinted competition.

2. That being said, check out 5/3/1 for football. Exchange the portions that talk about skill work for football with skill work for lax. That is an excellent option for you because it includes speed work, tells you how to structure offseason workouts, and how to taper for training camp/the season.

3. You know what looks good? State championship rings, full rides to college, 1st team plaques, and fucking winning. Check out “Nutrient Timing” and “Power Eating.” Those are two awesome books to help get your nutrition going in the right direction.

In the mean time, just worry about getting on an actualt strength and conditioning programming, staying consistant with said program, and working your ass off.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
Addressing your goals:

1. This is all injury prevention, skill work, and weightroom work. In that order. 5/3/1 would be a terrible program as written for any sport that is not an actual barbell oreinted competition.

2. That being said, check out 5/3/1 for football. Exchange the portions that talk about skill work for football with skill work for lax. That is an excellent option for you because it includes speed work, tells you how to structure offseason workouts, and how to taper for training camp/the season.

3. You know what looks good? State championship rings, full rides to college, 1st team plaques, and fucking winning. Check out “Nutrient Timing” and “Power Eating.” Those are two awesome books to help get your nutrition going in the right direction.

In the mean time, just worry about getting on an actualt strength and conditioning programming, staying consistant with said program, and working your ass off.[/quote]

Trying to find the PDF as we speak for 5/3/1 football. Right now i think its about time to cut the bullshit and focus on my sport. I am chasing to many goals right now. I am naturally leaning out right now just from the added activity which is a good thing i guess.

Thanks for the help.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
Alright Tmen. In need of some advice here. With my lacrosse season approaching in a couple of months i am kinda stuck on how i should be lifting.

Right now i have 3 very tough conditioning practices a week, and a rec league indoor + basketball game a week. On top of this i am trying to lift 4 days a week.

The problem here is lately my lifts have been going down, i feel like shit most of the time and nagging injuries are popping up.

So any advice on how i should schedule my lifting? I was thinking of going back to 5/3/1 but i don’t know.

My goals: 1. Make the varsity team 2. Continue to get stronger 3. look good.

Thanks for any help.[/quote]

Hey man, I’d cut it down to 2 lifting days a week, if not just 1 right now.

I also would just seek to maintain what you’ve got, and not make huge gains. You’re an athlete, so I always recommend focusing on your sport, and using the weight room to maintain your strength.

You’ll still likely make gains, but don’t go crazy.

I’d focus on squats and overhead right now. Ditch deadlifts as it’s just too much strain currently, and don’t bench as it will tighten up your upper body and make handling the ball more difficult.

As far as programming, I’d just head in and give it a good honest 5x5, and if it gets easy after a few weeks add 10lbs.

Just my .02

Larry10- I see what you mean. Lifting 4 days a week right now just doesn’t seem very smart. I know for a fact i can do 3 days a week.

The problem is i just have to many goals right now. I need to focus on my sport. To be honest i have not done skill work in weeks.

When you’re inseason, I would suggest only lifting twice a week. If you want to use 5/3/1, set your training maxes at 90% and don’t go for max reps.

Dropping deadlifts inseason is a good idea.

I would also suggest you set it up as a fullbody routine. There are a million ways to do this, but here’s a simple one:

Week 1

Day 1- Squat 5/3/1, push accessory (dips,db press, etc) and pull accessory (rows or chins) for 3 sets
Day 2- Press 5/3/1, Hamstrings (GHR, good mornings, back raises) and abs (situps, ab wheel, side bends) for 3 sets

Week 2

Day 1- Squat (55,65,75%x5), push and pull accessory for 3 sets
Day 2- Bench 5/3/1, hamstrings and abs for 3 sets

I would also suggest you drop that basketball crap. Focus on your sport.

For the record, this is how I set up my inseason training (for college rugby)

Chris 87- thanks for that template. Looks really good! I am not in season quite yet but, offseason practices are getting pretty frequent and brutal.

I was looking at either 5/3/1 3 times a week of defrancos 3 day a week strength and speed template with my speed training being my conditioning practices.

As strorm mentioned, injury prevention first, and foremost.

What were your injuries?
What have you done to attempt to help them? what actually helped?
What exercises have you made a focus to help prevent any issues?

As far as lifting goes, I think it’s easier to start higher in work days and drop down if you die, versus slowly build up and maybe building up too late to take benefit of the off season. That said, take account of your injury and how you are doing conditioning work, and do not exacerbate that issue.

VT- Hurt my lower back OHP a while back. It hurt to deadlift. Got x rays and everything looks good. Just general tightness in the area. Foam rolling daily and really focusing on glute activation as well.

Conditioning is up to my coach. It varies from sprints, stairs, indian runs, bw workouts, core shit.

hey man, do this warm up daily, it should fix up your low back, as it’s likely tight hips, and it has some glute work in it too that will really help.

Larry- Already doing agile 8 before i lift. I’ll add in some things from here that i haven’t seen before. thanks.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
Chris 87- thanks for that template. Looks really good! I am not in season quite yet but, offseason practices are getting pretty frequent and brutal.

I was looking at either 5/3/1 3 times a week of defrancos 3 day a week strength and speed template with my speed training being my conditioning practices.[/quote]

Either one of those would be fine, as long as you set it up correctly (as in accounting for your practices, you wouldn’t want to be killing your lower body the day before a hard practice,etc)

If the practices are making it noticably harder to recover, you could just go ahead and go to 2 days/week now. You won’t get any weaker for doing this.

If you hurt your lower back OHP, you were likely leaning way back. Need to focus on keeping a (somewhat) neutral pelvis. Just something to keep in mind for the future.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Week 1

Day 1- Squat 5/3/1, push accessory (dips,db press, etc) and pull accessory (rows or chins) for 3 sets
Day 2- Press 5/3/1, Hamstrings (GHR, good mornings, back raises) and abs (situps, ab wheel, side bends) for 3 sets

Week 2

Day 1- Squat (55,65,75%x5), push and pull accessory for 3 sets
Day 2- Bench 5/3/1, hamstrings and abs for 3 sets

[/quote]
This looks good.

JTown: I am interested to see how you go about this, as I am weeks away from my preseason and I also need to choose a suitable program.

tweet

Also, if you’re going to be doing a lot of lifting and activity, look into some chelated zinc supplements. Helps with overtraining (doesn’t prevent or stop it, just helps).

Thanks for all the responses. I am pretty set on defrancos 3 day a week strength and speed. The speed days will just have to be my conditioning days.

Hopefully i can squeeze a few more pounds onto my lifts before the season.

In high school I got ridiculed for lifting from my basketball coach, in season or off season…for the future of our program how should I address him about this?

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
Larry- Already doing agile 8 before i lift. I’ll add in some things from here that i haven’t seen before. thanks.[/quote]

Solid

Thanks for the help everyone!

[quote]chobbs wrote:
In high school I got ridiculed for lifting from my basketball coach, in season or off season…for the future of our program how should I address him about this?[/quote]

Are they not getting clobbered by teams in the region/area/division/etc that do lift?

Pointing that out would probably be the best way to get him to consider it.

The problem is, he is most likely going to be hard headed about it, and if he does decided to impliment lifting, it will probably be some men’s health type crap.

That is still going to be better than no lifting at all though.