Atheists Only, Please...

Okay, I’ve got a question for the rest of my heathen heretic asshole pals out there in cyberspace…

Let’s say that some rich wacko came up to you and said something to the effect of, “Here’s a butt-load of money. Now sign this paper in your blood to give me your immortal soul.”

Would you do it? I sure as hell would. Why not?

[quote]lothario1132 wrote:
Okay, I’ve got a question for the rest of my heathen heretic asshole pals out there in cyberspace…

Let’s say that some rich wacko came up to you and said something to the effect of “Here’s a butt-load of money. Now sign this paper in your blood to give me your immortal soul.”

Would you do it? I sure as hell would. Why not?[/quote]

Sorry for not being an atheist, but there is a glaring error in the psychology behind your question. If it is that worthless to you, why not give it away for spare change? the cost of a soda should be enough to gain your soul. Why would you even subconsciously give it so much credit as to deserve a “buttload of money”? Busted?

Let’s say that some rich wacko came up to you and said something to the effect of “Here’s a butt-load of money. Now sign this paper in your blood to give me your immortal soul.”

[/quote]

So when cash is involved, all of a sudden you have a soul?

How much money does it cost for you to have a soul?

I thought that you were a mass of cells thrown together by chance and that there was no such thing as a soul. Now, if the price is right - you have one?

You are a whore. And a hypocrite.

Well, unless he was then going to con me in some way.

Would I “sell” my soul for money. Yes. I don’t think that I have one and so being given money for nothing is fine by me. Also, if we did have a soul (I haven’t counted out this possibility completely, I just don’t think that it is likely), I’d be in no position to “sell” it. So, even if souls did exist, they’d still be gaining nothing from our transaction!

I’d definitely sell my soul again. In fact, my soul currently has a half dozen owners. The majority stock holder is this homeless guy, “Lil’ Ricky,” that I met at the 7-11. I just dropped a stock certificate in his cup and said “Merry Christmas.” Boy, was he disappointed when he went to buy a 40.
I mean, seriously, who cares? If you have or believe you have a soul (whether you believe in a god or not), can it really be bought with a material contract?!? Seems a bit childish and silly. And if you don’t have a soul, it doesn’t matter anyway.

I’d sell my soul. Though I’d have to get it back from the dozens of people I’ve sold it to before… Heck, the prices for used souls are pretty low these days, so I doubt anyone would want mine.

To second Rainjack and to paraphrase Winston Churchill " We’ve already determined you are a whore…we’re just negotiating the price"

Consider this…what if your wrong? And whom do you think the buyer might be?

You could be the smartest and wealthiest atheist…in Hell.

If I sold my soul, I’d feel like the guy who “invented” the pet rock. What I’d be selling would be almost entirely in the mind of the buyer.

if some guy on the street came up and asked my to sell it… yes because i’d think he was a crazy guy who deserved to have his money taken. I do believe I have a soul though so I would not actually sell it. nor could I if I wanted to…

LOL…
This reminds me of The Simpsons where Bart sells his soul. Too funny.

Depends on what that piece of paper says and how “soul” is defined. If by selling my soul to him means that I have to do his bidding or perform some sort of act, well then I would pass. However, if he is just asking me to sign away that invented ghost sort of thingy (as represented in popular movies)that man has invented in order to separate himself from the rest of the animal kingdom and thereby beleive himself superior, then hell yeah!
Got news for ya. There ain’t no cloud in the sky that you’re gonna float up to and reunite with all your deceased loved ones. You’re gonna rot like everything else. I have always been amazed by the lies that humans will tell themselves so that they don’t have to deal with this reality.
O.K., go ahead and launch…

Would you do it? I sure as hell would. Why not?[/quote]

I’d be a little concerned about anybody asking me to sign anything with my own blood. Why hasn’t anybody else mentioned this yet?

I heard there are a few people on Ebay selling their souls. Wonder what it went for…

[quote]samdiesel wrote:
lothario1132 wrote:

Would you do it? I sure as hell would. Why not?

I’d be a little concerned about anybody asking me to sign anything with my own blood. Why hasn’t anybody else mentioned this yet?[/quote]

Because you’re the only one that’s scared of blood.

I’m agnostic but I still believe there is a part of you that is somewat like a the soul described in religion. I wouldn’t do it because I would feel like im selling an integral part of my being.

Or maybe Id just be suspicious he knows something I don’t.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Sorry for not being an atheist, but there is a glaring error in the psychology behind your question. If it is that worthless to you, why not give it away for spare change? the cost of a soda should be enough to gain your soul. Why would you even subconsciously give it so much credit as to deserve a “buttload of money”? Busted?[/quote]

Well, it certainly wouldn’t be worth the time and effort to sign a bogus contract in blood for $0.65, would it? If some fool wants to believe I have a soul, and wants to believe that it’s something tangible whose sale would be governed by our terrestrial laws and rules of contract, then by all means I’d “sell” it. That way we both get what we want. This imbecile gets to believe he’s acquired my “soul”, and I get cash money: something I can actually use in this real world. It’s win-win, baby.

Sorry for not being an atheist, but there is a glaring error in the psychology behind your question. If it is that worthless to you, why not give it away for spare change? the cost of a soda should be enough to gain your soul. Why would you even subconsciously give it so much credit as to deserve a “buttload of money”? Busted?

rainjack wrote:
So when cash is involved, all of a sudden you have a soul?

How much money does it cost for you to have a soul?

I thought that you were a mass of cells thrown together by chance and that there was no such thing as a soul. Now, if the price is right - you have one?

You are a whore. And a hypocrite.
[/quote]

This is why I entitled the thread atheists only, please. You guys believe in having a soul, I don’t. I wouldn’t be selling anything, just getting free money. You completely missed the point. As usual. And yes, ProX, the cost of a soda is more than enough for me to sign a piece of paper in blood. I’m not squeamish.

And yes, ProX, the cost of a soda is more than enough for me to sign a piece of paper in blood. I’m not squeamish.
[/quote]

That wasn’t the point and no, I doubt anyone who believes in God believes that our souls are attached to a legal written document. The point was that you even associated such a high price for a soul. That is what shows that the concept has played in your mind before. Like nearly everything else you have joked about and toyed with, you have not proven there is no soul. That means you either logically conclude that there MIGHT be, or you are so opposed to religion that you just throw the concept out of your mind. If your decision is the latter, then you are the one who is irrational.

lothario1132 wrote:
And yes, ProX, the cost of a soda is more than enough for me to sign a piece of paper in blood. I’m not squeamish.

That wasn’t the point and no, I doubt anyone who believes in God believes that our souls are attached to a legal written document. The point was that you even associated such a high price for a soul. That is what shows that the concept has played in your mind before. Like nearly everything else you have joked about and toyed with, you have not proven there is no soul. That means you either logically conclude that there MIGHT be, or you are so opposed to religion that you just throw the concept out of your mind. If your decision is the latter, then you are the one who is irrational. [/quote]

The reason I said “butt-load of money” in the original post was because that is the traditional “sell your soul to the devil” story told. Be careful not to fall off your high horse there chief.

Oh, and I will never PROVE that there’s no soul. Because I’m not superstitious, I don’t have to. I already know that there isn’t one. Pretty cool, huh? You know ProX, every once in a while, a taste of reality can be quite refreshing… you should try it some time.

it’s a bummer all the non-atheists had to respond to lothario’s post, because they could’ve just listened and learned…

“soul” is a word, and i would sell that word for a penny.