Atheism-o-phobia Part 2

[quote]forlife wrote:
Fletch, I had the same experience. Our senior church leader refused to even look at my research or to address my actual concerns, other than telling me to pray about it.

BTW, the bible does say it’s possible for people to be enlightened by the Spirit, and fall away after. Some churches wink at that part. [/quote]

Some do. I don’t I went and looked up the greek on all of the parts for and against eternal security. There is no real winking and nodding unless you look at the English only.

example from the passage you quoted

Hebrews 6:4-6 “It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace. Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God. But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned”

The clue to this one is actually in verse 7-8. which should be linked to Jesus description in Matthew
Mat 7:16 You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
Mat 7:17 So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit.
Mat 7:18 A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.

Shared actually means partakers, and translated notes from one of the translators of the NASB has pointed out that partakers should not be confused with possessors

It clearly says they’ve even enlightened, and have fallen away. You can’t fall away from something you never experienced in the first place.

At one point, they did produce fruits, but they changed and became infertile soil.

[quote]forlife wrote:
Looks like he did believe you could fall away after being saved. Not surprising, since he knew his bible pretty well.

• Mere Christianity, p. 162
  • Mere Christianity, p. 49[/quote]

Don’t read too much into CS Lewis understanding of the Bible. When he wrote the problem of pain, He repeated several times that his argument for the problem of pain was not theological and could step on the toes of what is actually taught in the Bible.

He was known for having an incredible memory and being a great thinker, but even he admitted he was not able to handle some things.

I don’t claim he was right about everything, I just agree with his understanding of what the bible actually says about the enlightened falling away. It’s crystal clear, at least to me.

Not that any of it matters from my persecutive…I think the bible is just another in a long series of holy books written by men in their search for meaning (and unfortunately in some cases, in the search for power and dominion over others).

[quote]forlife wrote:
It clearly says they’ve even enlightened, and have fallen away. You can’t fall away from something you never experienced in the first place.

At one point, they did produce fruits, but they changed and became infertile soil.[/quote]

No where does it say they produced good fruits in that passage. The greek word for enlighted that is used there can mean saved, but it can also mean something else.

for example the same word is used here

After this I saw another angel coming down from heaven. He had great authority, and the earth was illuminated by his splendor.

for illuminated.

You are also taking one piece of scripture and say see it means X.
When there are just as many scriptures for eternal security as there are against it.
Trust me I have looked at the issue with a lot of effort and time. One verse can’t solve
this thing.

Oh and in the end while I think it is a very clear case for eternal security, I can understand why other people don’t.

Chris, you’re right that some people experience a happy feeling about something when they pray and interpret this as evidence for god. I think it goes a lot deeper than that, though. In my case, it was many years of daily communication with god, inspiration, deep spiritual conversion, miracles, being born again, reading the bible from cover to cover many times over, and most importantly accepting Jesus as my personal Savior, loving him with all my heart, and doing my best to follow his example.

Yet despite all of that, honest inquiry eventually led me away from everything I held most sacred.

[quote]forlife wrote:
I don’t claim he was right about everything, I just agree with his understanding of what the bible actually says about the enlightened falling away. It’s crystal clear, at least to me.

Not that any of it matters from my persecutive…I think the bible is just another in a long series of holy books written by men in their search for meaning (and unfortunately in some cases, in the search for power and dominion over others).[/quote]

I didn’t say you thought he was right about everything. If you did then you would be a Christian. I just disagree with your comment about him knowing alot about the Bible.

at one point in time I started putting together some material on eternal security, I never finished it. I give the verses for eternal security as well as the counter verses and an argument small rebuttal to each verse that is against it.

Here it is.

Verses used as an argument against eternal security, with a rebuttal
Hebrews 6:4-6 “It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.”

The clue to this one is actually in verse 7-8. which should be linked to Jesus description in Matthew
Mat 7:16 You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
Mat 7:17 So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit.
Mat 7:18 A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.

Shared actually means partakers, and translated notes from one of the translators of the NASB has pointed out that partakers should not be confused with possessors

Hebrews 10:26-27 “If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.”

Knowledge in this sense uses the greek word epignosis which means

epignoÌ?sis
Thayer Definition:

1. precise and correct knowledge
    1a) used in the NT of the knowledge of things ethical and divine

Unlike gnosis which means

gnoÌ?sis
Thayer Definition:

1. knowledge signifies in general intelligence, understanding
    1a) the general knowledge of Christian religion
    1b) the deeper more perfect and enlarged knowledge of this religion, such as belongs to the more advanced
    1c) especially of things lawful and unlawful for Christians
    1d) moral wisdom, such as is seen in right living
    On top of that there strong implication that this would be us going out of our way to Sin after we have been saved. The typical Christian in the Biblical sense is described as being conflicted between the old nature and the new nature of Christ

Hebrews 10:38-39 “‘But my righteous one will live by faith. And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him.’ But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved.”

Those who shrink back are referred to in Heb 10:26-27

Also there seems to be a definitive affirmation that we are not of the shrinking back kind.

Definistion of the word faith

pistis
Thayer Definition:

1. conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting manâ??s relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it
    1a) relating to God
    1a1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
    1b) relating to Christ
    1b1) a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
    1c) the religious beliefs of Christians
    1d) belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same
  2. fidelity, faithfulness
    2a) the character of one who can be relied on

1 Timothy 1:18-21 “Timothy, my son, I give you this instruction in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith. Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme.”

They rejected the faith what more needs to be said. It also never says they have lost their salvation.

2 Timothy 2:16-18 “Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, who have wandered away from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some.”

This is kind of a no duh thing. If you no longer believe God is going to save you what faith do you have? Same goes for if you became a muslim you are rejecting Christ. In that case though I would cite John 10:27-30 or I john 2:19

2 Peter 3:17 “Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position.”

Interesting why the preceding verses are not included

2Pe 3:15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him,
2Pe 3:16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.
2Pe 3:17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability.

Which what he is saying has nothing to do with Eternal security instead it is referring to orthodox teachings vs. hearsay.

2 Peter 2:20-22 “If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them. Of them the proverbs are true: “A dog returns to its vomit,” and, “A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud.””

I could use the word for knowledge argument again, but I think it is not needed.

2Pe 2:18 For, speaking loud boasts of folly, they entice by sensual passions of the flesh those who are barely escaping from those who live in error.
2Pe 2:19 They promise them freedom, but they themselves are slaves of corruption. For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved.
2Pe 2:20 For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first.
2Pe 2:21 For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them.
2Pe 2:22 What the true proverb says has happened to them: “The dog returns to its own vomit, and the sow, after washing herself, returns to wallow in the mire.”

I think the exegesis is that most people take is totally wrong on this chapter. For instance he is talking about false teachers that are leading people astray. In these particular verses he refers to those who are barely escaping from those sins. This indicates that they are still new to the Christian faith, and would possible be comparable to the parable of the seeds that fell on different ground. I think it is also important to note that Peter never says that they are not saved, nor does he say they are saved. Just that the condition is worse for them. I wonder if peter thought of himself when he denied Christ in these verses.

James 5:19-20 “My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.”

This one is a little harder, there just is not enough text to really get what he is getting out. This could just as easily be a fringe Christian, or just a warning against hearsay that has nothing to do with the loss of salvation but instead referring to a deadening of the Spirit of God with in an individual

Verses used for an argument of eternal security.

John 5:24 “I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.”
John 6:37 “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.” (Combine this with Jeremiah 32:40 above)

John 10:28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.
John 10:29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.
John 10:30 I and the Father are one."
Romans 6:8 “Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.”
Romans 8:9-10 “You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness.”

Romans 8:28-30 “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.”
1Cor 1:8,9 “He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.”
1Cor 3:15 “If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.”
2Cor 1:21,22 “Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.”
Ephesians 1:5 “he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will–”
Ephesians 1:11 “In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,”
Eph 1:13,14 “And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession-- to the praise of his glory.”
Hebrews 7:25 “Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.”
1Pet 1:3-5 “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade-- kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.” (xref Eph 1:14)
1John 5:4 “for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.”
Rev 17:8 The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to rise from the bottomless pit and go to destruction. And the dwellers on earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world will marvel to see the beast, because it was and is not and is to come

@Cortes
I’d fuck’er, so you better.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
Has anyone been converted yet?[/quote]

Well Catholics aren’t ones to try and convert anyone, so your commit is ad hominem. Thanks for playing.[/quote]

Convert has more than a religious meaning, brother.

If you are posting at all you are looking for a convert.

Or cracking a one-liner.

And mine was better than yours. :wink:

this seemed to get skipped -

Does the bible say Humans were here from the start of “time”? (everything was created in the first 7 days or whatever)…Are dinosaurs mentioned in the bible, and if so/or not why are there no human records as old as dinosaurs?

Or go one further - knowing we evolved from apes, most likely through a Darwinian natural selection type deal - how do you explain the obvious, that Humans weren’t one of the first entities to be created?

Does the bible say Humans were here from the start of “time”? (everything was created in the first 7 days or whatever)…Are dinosaurs mentioned in the bible, and if so/or not why are there no human records as old as dinosaurs?

Or go one further - knowing we evolved from apes, most likely through a Darwinian natural selection type deal - how do you explain the obvious, that Humans weren’t one of the first entities to be created?

The scripture you sighted on illumination is a classic example. Lucifer was the Son of the Morning, an angel of god who was clearly enlightened, yet he fell.

Why is it important to you to believe that you can’t fall away?

No offense, but it strikes me as a copout when people talk like this. I remember one guy telling me that because he had been born again, he could commit any offense for the rest of his life, including murder, and still be saved.

[quote]forlife wrote:
The scripture you sighted on illumination is a classic example. Lucifer was the Son of the Morning, an angel of god who was clearly enlightened, yet he fell.

No offense, but it strikes me as a copout when people talk like this. I remember one guy telling me that because he had been born again, he could commit any offense for the rest of his life, including murder, and still be saved.[/quote]

No it isn’t really a good example. You missed the point of it. Not to mention that verse does not talk about Lucifer.

The word for enlightened appears 12 times in 11 verses in the NT. Not
all of those instances refer to salvation. In fact Paul speaks to the
ephesians and uses that word and it is translated as enlightened

Eph 1:18 I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,

Using your definition for enlighted, the ephesians would have already been enlightened. So why would they need to be enlightened again.

The subject it isn’t important to me any more. When I was 14 I had a friend that didn’t believe the same thing about this subject. So I started to search and question what I was taught. I went with an open mind to this subject and spent at least three years trying to
find what the truth was. I came to the conclusion that there is more weight behind this side
than the other. So I accepted this side as true. I have done that with my faith all across the board. I know the weakness of my belief as well as the strengths. I also know the weakness of the other arguments as well as their strengths.

When I challenge a belief I usually have to be able to aruge both sides before I can come to a conclusion.

[quote]forlife wrote:

[/quote]

It has to do with orientations, predispositions, and closeted self-denial. You, for example, would be seen as having been a self-denying and closeted atheist. That is, not of a truly christian predisposition/orientation. Everything is orientation, orientation, orientation!

i had basically the same experience, except i was 9 years old.

my father was a agnostic from protestant origin, but i was raised a catholic, because it was really important for my mother and my (very devout) grandmother.

i was baptized (my godfather is a priest) and i attended cathechism many years during childhood.

my first doubts and questions came very early.
It was not because of the influence of my father (we discussed about this topic only years after) but because i was exposed to pagan influences : Homer, Gilgamesh, the nordic Sagas, Plato, etc.

my mind opened to other options : different Gods, multiple Gods, no God at all.

the day of my first communion i confessed myself and told to the priest i was not sure what i believed, and i was not sure i really had the “right” to participate.

the priest’s answer was something like : “don’t worry, ask Him and He will answer”

I did it, or at least i tried.
I attended cathechism 5 more years after that.
the first 2 years because i hoped to find an answer.
the last 3 years because i find catechism interresting even if i had become an atheist.

[quote]ephrem wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Looks like I got the last post on the other thread and it locked out. Continuing here.

Eph, I’m gonna have to respond to your statement tomorrow. I tried to get there today but there was just too much work and my son decided NOT to take his nap. Which, in my opinion, is a positively immoral act on his part. ;)[/quote]

…i thought the kettlebell was a large castiron japanese teapot, but yeah, you could say i was distracted, lol…[/quote]

I didn’t even see it until it was pointed out!

:open_mouth:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]forlife wrote:
I’ve read Screwtape Letters, but it’s been a while. Can someone remind me what C. S. Lewis has to say about this? Does he believe that once enlightened and born of the Spirit, it is possible for people to fall away?[/quote]

As he is more in sync with the High Church Anglican/Catholic Church I would suspect (especially with the Screw tape letters) that he believes that it is possible for people to fall away after baptism. [/quote]

I have not read it in many years, but from what I strongly recall this is exactly correct, as the entire premise of the novel rests on Screwtape attempting to ensure the damnation of a man who is already a Christian.

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
Has anyone been converted yet?[/quote]

Oh, was that the purpose of this discussion?

[quote]forlife wrote:
Fletch, I had the same experience. Our senior church leader refused to even look at my research or to address my actual concerns, other than telling me to pray about it.

BTW, the bible does say it’s possible for people to be enlightened by the Spirit, and fall away after. Some churches wink at that part. [/quote]

That’s sad. For both you and Fletch. Any church leader worth his salt, of any denomination or religion, should welcome scrutiny, investigation, even doubt of his religion. My priest back in America is a personal mentor and friend, and I have more than once expressed my own fears, misgivings, and struggles to marry what I think I know to be real with what the Church teaches. In every case, he has said that this is a very healthy spiritual process, and is, indeed, necessary to mature in one’s faith.

Calling it a “crisis of faith” betrays a profound incertitude in one’s beliefs. A leader of a philosophy should be able to muster more of an answer than this.

[quote]krsoneeeee wrote:

Or go one further - knowing we evolved from apes, most likely through a Darwinian natural selection type deal - how do you explain the obvious, that Humans weren’t one of the first entities to be created?[/quote]

Catholics don’t worry about that kind of crap. We are perfectly comfortable with scientific knowledge, and indeed welcome it.

Repeat: That kind of Biblical literalism is NOT to be found in the Catholic Church.