At What Point Do You Think You Are "Qualified" to Give Out Advice?

See I’m a fully qualified personal trainer and even I wont try and correct a powerlifter in the gym cause its not my field of expertise and i know that, however so many gym bro’s who got some level of gains always feel like they need to add there voice on anything they see someone smaller doing. Remember one time I was in a bulk and obviously my abs weren’t peaking through and a gym bro came up to me and told me ‘‘If you want abs you need to start training them everyday twice a day, I once didn’t have abs until i cut everyone out my life and dedicated time into doing abs’’ Think my response was you need to focus some of that ab work into your legs

1 Like

…or how to philosophize with a hammer.

Most people dont want advice, and advice is not welcome unless it’s asked for…

So best to step back and let them fail.

2 Likes

You’re qualified to give advice when you’ve made mistakes, have dissected those mistakes, have learned from them, and can communicate what you’ve learned to others.

This is why I try to limit my advice to beginners and sedentary, middle-aged dudes.

1 Like

I believe that you’re qualified to give advice once you’ve done it yourself. My best bench ever is 285, so I’m not going to walk up to someone who just repped 315 for 6 and tell him he needs to tuck his elbows more. What he’s doing is obviously working for him.

If I see someone who looks bewildered and afraid, I’ll talk to them, ask if they want a spot or any pointers on their form. The people who look terrified in the gym usually are because they’ve never done these things before.

Last thing: with the exception of helping the “deer in the headlights” type, I never give advice. I will occasionally converse with other lifters who are around my level and compare cues and splits and that stuff, but unwarranted or unwanted advice is usually a good way to make someone dislike you lol

The problem is the best potential American Olympic Lifter are playing Pro Football; making a few hundred thousand to a couple of million a year.

Olympic Lifters at the Colorado Spring Training Center get something like free room and board and about $30.000 plus a year.

What would be your choice between the two options?

Kenny Croxdale

2 Likes

Should I read books on how to strength train, or should I follow dubious advice from a forum that uses euphemisms for juicing?

Your best bet is reading several books along with actually getting mentored in real life by people whom actually achieved something along with trial and error on your own. Ask anyone whom learned to lift pre internet.

Forums do have value as a resource but its not the be all of end alls

Could you please point out dubious advice you have come across?
FYI… you would be surprised by how many experienced and knowledgeable guys on here have never been on anything
Or are you just trying to Troll?

2 Likes

You should work out.

6 Likes

My advice is to follow dubious advice rather than reading books, which are for nerds. Also, I believe that “juicing” is already a euphemism.

4 Likes

haha, he joined the forum just to try and piss people off with that

1 Like

Let’s be honest, there’s like a 75 percent chance that “resistanceisall” is “ExerciseMachina” giving this another shot.

5 Likes

Damn…i was hoping he would have a well though out counter for the points I had made.

1 Like

x2 only take advice from guys with the 6 pax and underwear out on instagram and claim full youtube natty. Real world gainzz brah

1 Like