T Nation

At what Age can you Expect to be your Strongest?

At 22 years old, I believe i am pretty strong, (you can check my profile which im sure some of you will, and whether or not you believe what is on there is irrelevant because that isnt the topic).

My question is to what age can I (or most ppl my age) expect to reach their peak in strength?

I’ve heard answers as low as 25 and as high as 45. I would appreciate any advice.

Strong enough to turn Lesbian Sistas onto the cock?

Who knows man?

until you can rip stop signs from the ground.

[quote]clip11 wrote:
At 22 years old, I believe i am pretty strong, (you can check my profile which im sure some of you will, and whether or not you believe what is on there is irrelevant because that isnt the topic).

My question is to what age can I (or most ppl my age) expect to reach their peak in strength?

I’ve heard answers as low as 25 and as high as 45. I would appreciate any advice.[/quote]

It depends. Olympic weightlifters reach their peak at the age of 22-25 because that’s usually the age where your potential for speed-strength is maximized. Powerlifters can hit their prime at their 40s.

I think a lot depends on your genetics, what kind of strength you’re talking about (increases in suppleness and explosiveness are harder to maintain past a certain age than increases in plain, brute strength: the raw ability to move heavy stuff), your training history (things are different if you’re 45 and have been competing in powerlifting, say, for 25 years vs. 45 and competing for 2), and whether you continue to train and take care of yourself as you age.

Rather than try to stick numbers on things, though, I thought I’d include this pic and a link to a thread that’s going on now in the Strength Sports forum:

It’s instructive, sometimes inspiring, to look at what other people have done (in this case, what they’ve done at different ages), but the real question is what can you do – what can you take from it and apply to your training, your life?

EDIT: Read Norbert’s bio on the Lift Up site (linked to in the other thread).