I'm not familiar at all with what TCM is so I cannot comment on it. However, I am intimately familiar with astrology.
As best I can tell, it is both scientifically empty and morally bankrupt.
- The mechanisms that are proposed (humans are influenced by the celestial bodies, proportionate to their distance ) are completely invalid, have never been proven, and do not take into account things like comets, meteors, and many other things that have gravity (like the doctor birthing you (who has more gravitational influence than the moon does), for example)Precession, (which would completely shift each star sign over by one every 2000 years) just to name a few.
- There exists NO plausible mechanism for its workings (HOW would celestial bodies influence us? By what "force" does it exert its power)
- Astrology has been giving iron clad recommendations for centuries... All the while astronomy has been finding new bodies and then astrology incorporates those findings into its cannon. How come astrology hadn't accounted for those "influences" before science found them? Very curious.
- There have been NO reproducibly valid studies to show that any effect exists, and in fact there ARE studies that show that birth month has NO influence on any number of measurable factors.
- Under proper blinding, people will rate ANY reading for ANY star sign as being just as accurate as any other reading.
- And as for its moral implication, it pigeon holes people into "types" that they cannot escape from based purely on the day they were born. Kinda like being born black, or jewish, or whatever your favorite minority is. There are companies that will NOT hire certain star signs... This is not a joke.
Continuing with the moral implications, astrology quite obviously states that EVERY person is a "victim of circumstance"... Sorry, you'll never be ________, that's only for Libras!
How ignorant and bigoted would it sound for someone to say "He acts that way because he is black/mexican/jewish" ... Vs "He acts that way because he is a scorpio/libra/virgo"
I'm willing to change my mind if you can show me evidence (although I wont be holding my breath). On the other hand, I will happily provide the evidence for my claims at my own expense of time.
I wont stand for this type of irrationality here, and I hope other T-Nation members wont either. Please dont bother to take it elsewhere, just stop it all together. Its complete nonsense and it has no place in a rational world except to serve as an example of one of the many ways humans can be fooled by their own pattern recognition.