Asthma & the Marines

[quote]John S. wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
I was disqualified from joining because I have asthma.

Don’t say something like this in the Politics Forum though. Apparently Asthma = Cowardice to some scumbags there.

Where’s Wreckless? Where Harris? :smiley:

Could you please explain to me there reasoning for asthma = cowardice?[/quote]

There just pendejoses being pendejoses. You, know the saying “once an ass, always an ass”. People like them look for a corner in a round house to take a piss in.

I am in better shape today, as well as, back in High School than my friends who went the military. Asthma, can be controlled w/ lifting, running-distance and sprints, and eating right. “don’t let asthma control you. You, control asthma.”

[quote]John S. wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Don’t say something like this in the Politics Forum though. Apparently Asthma = Cowardice to some scumbags there.

It doesn’t. The formula above fails to include other variables that tend to arise in internet pissing matches.

Diagnosed with adult onset of asthma in 1991. I had no trouble in boot camp in 1978.

[quote]John S. wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Sure. I said I had wanted to join, that I would like to fight for my country, but asthma prevented me from doing so. You can guess the rest.

[quote]13x’s&1,2go wrote:
I was disqualified because of asthma. Yet, I played football, wrestled and ran track in High School. I was more in shape physically than 85% of the recruits coming in.

You, can control asthma and live a really high quality athletic life. Lifting, running-distance and sprints, and eating right. I am still in better physical and athletic shape than my friends who went to the military.

Words from one asthmatic to another. Don’t let asthma control you. You, control asthma. Trust me, people are surprised to find out I have asthma. Good luck. [/quote]

Wasn’t that olympic swimmer a few years back with all the golds an asthmatic?

mike

I’m suprised they will not let you enlist. Asthma medications like Advair are so good that you don’t even need an inhaler. I have been on Advair for 2 years now and feel great during any form of exercise.

On a side note:

In Black Hawk Down, there was a Ranger that had an inhaler. Not saying that I should get my information from movies, but that movie was pretty accurate in its accounts.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
I said I had wanted to join, that I would like to fight for my country, but asthma prevented me from doing so.[/quote]

But what he meant to say was:

I said I had wanted to join, that I would like to fight for my country BECAUSE asthma prevented me from doing so.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
I said I had wanted to join, that I would like to fight for my country, but asthma prevented me from doing so.

I said I had wanted to join, that I would like to fight for my country BECAUSE asthma prevented me from doing so.
[/quote]

See what I mean?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
pookie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
I said I had wanted to join, that I would like to fight for my country, but asthma prevented me from doing so.

See what I mean?

[/quote]

I see.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

See what I mean?
[/quote]

I thought an example would clear that question right up.

Thank me later.

I wanted to enlist in the Army Reserve in 1997 and was disqualified because of athsma. I did get a waiver and was accepted into the Reserve. I then joined active duty in 2003 and the history of athsma came into play again, however the original waiver still held up.

My Athsma was something that has gotten less and less as I got older. I went and seen my doctor and told him of my dilemma of not getting into the military. He tested me a few different ways and wrote a letter to the Army Surgeon General and also forwarded my test results. The waiver was approved.

It is also of some help that this all went down at the end of the fiscal year (October) That is when the military loosens their standards a little to try and meet their enlistment goals for the year.

I was scared when I went to MEPS on the first day and was told to write down any medical conditions I have other wise I can be thrown in jail. Well now I look back and find this to be crap. In reality the military is not going to spend the money to “investigate” wether or not you had athsma prior to enlistment. The only way this would happen is in the case of very serious injury or death where a lawsuit is involved. Believe me, there are alot more people than you think in the military that have athsma. Alot of them find out about it after they enlist because of changes in environment, allergies etc. Just as many don’t say anything about it and then have the military just cover the medical cost after they are already in.

Your recruiter will tell you the same stuff. Mine told me all this, and guess what, he was right.

I am not trying to tell you what to do. But if you know the facts then you can make your own decision. I went the long road and still made it. I could have not said anything at all and been in sooner. My whole waiver process took months to complete.

Remember nothing is impossible. Do not accept no for an answer!

Good luck