T Nation

Asthma and the Military

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some of the questions I have. I have asthma but it’s not as bad as some people. I use my rescue inhalor every so often. Mostly before physical excercise. And sometimes when my seasonal allergies get bad.

I have heard through recruiters/enlisted people that you can join the military with asthma as long as at the time you join you are not using any prescriptions drugs or inhalors, and that you can complete all the basic training excercises. I’m more looking into Navy/Air force being that I’ve heard there Basic training is less intense then the others. If anyone could give me some further insight as to what there basic training is like i’d appreciate that.

I’ve been told to try to get off my rescue inhalor in order to get in. So what would be the best way to go about that? Is there any certain workout routine that would be beneficial? Any running routines that would help strengthen my lungs for the purpose I’m wanting wich is to get off the rescue inhalor/military. Are there any kinds of prescription drugs that I can take to help strengthen my lungs. The reason I ask that is once when I had bronchittis they gave me an oral steroid to strengthen my lungs. Again I am asking because I’m seeking the best information.

Any help or advice I can get would be very helpfull. And I appreciate it all as well. Thanks!

Hey Se7en,

I’ve been out of boot camp for approx. 10 months now. I’m in the USN, so I can tell you what that one is like. Throughout boot camp, you’ll do your usual push ups, leg lifts, sit ups, etc. for “pt”. If you train at all, I don’t think you’ll have any problems w/ this. The tougher part of boot camp (which really isn’t that tough at all) is the work that they do to… motivate you. You, know… when your division misbehaves.

Depending on the Drill Sargent (RDC), “beatings” include work very similar to renegade type training, but they make you do them for too long so I think the efficacy could improve. ANYWAY, exercises that they’ll cycle through for 30 mins - 1.5 hours are: 8 Count BodyBuilders (similar to burpees w/o the explode, but w/ a pushup), side leg raises, “Superman”'s, flutter kicks, mountain climbers, bodyweight squats, I guess Iron Crosses w/o the weights (arm circles). That’s about it… They’ll do “tricky” things like inserting Isometric pauses to make it more painful, but enjoy this training. I got fat in boot camp due to the immediate decrease in activity that I was used to. I guess you need to learn to run about 3 miles pretty well, and you need to do some HIIT sprint sessions, as you’ll do that like 2 or 3 times during the entire 2 months. You have to remember that your division is only as strong as your weakest person, so eventually some slob that joined the Navy will not be able to workout anymore. When this happens, they usually stop soon after. I hope I was helpful.

Kyle Witter

I have asthma and have found that HIIT sessions really help reduce any asthma issues and reliance to inhalers. I’ve also heard that swimming is a excellent form of exercise for people with asthma.

Diet is also a consideration. Watching my carb intake really helps, too.

I’m not in the military, but thought I could provide sometype of advice.

Are there any kinds of prescription drugs that I can take to help strengthen my lungs<<
I have no idea if this works, but check out roadrunnersports.com and do a search for powerlung.