Astar

I just saw your post on Strength Sports about Raw feds. I too competed in BR (I was the chick in pink).

As far as 100% RAW feds go in Canada, I don’t think there really are any. Lots of people still compete raw in the CPU, however it’s tough to compare yourself to equipped lifters. Also, it would be tough to get your qualifying totals without gear.

Gear is fun. I competed in just wraps and a belt in my first meet back in January, but decided there was no harm in trying it out after that. I’ve since gotten into a suit as well as a shirt and enjoy it. If your interest isn’t there at all, that’s cool, but if you’re interested and just don’t know where to start/don’t want to buy a bunch of stuff, I’d suggest getting into contact with one of the clubs to see if you could meet up with them to train and try some stuff out. My club has tons of old shirts/suits/etc… Rugger wore one in Belle River, I’m wearing an old one of someones… just some food for thought.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Damn, I never saw your log here before. We were talking for a few minutes before weigh-in.

There were a few T-Nation people competing there actually.

You are one strong bastard! Nice lifting.

[/quote]

oh cool, I had no idea you were a member. That’d be pretty cool for future contests to actually know some of the people competing.

Thanks for the complement! As I remember you had a pretty good day yourself

[quote]Court wrote:
I just saw your post on Strength Sports about Raw feds. I too competed in BR (I was the chick in pink).

As far as 100% RAW feds go in Canada, I don’t think there really are any. Lots of people still compete raw in the CPU, however it’s tough to compare yourself to equipped lifters. Also, it would be tough to get your qualifying totals without gear.

Gear is fun. I competed in just wraps and a belt in my first meet back in January, but decided there was no harm in trying it out after that. I’ve since gotten into a suit as well as a shirt and enjoy it. If your interest isn’t there at all, that’s cool, but if you’re interested and just don’t know where to start/don’t want to buy a bunch of stuff, I’d suggest getting into contact with one of the clubs to see if you could meet up with them to train and try some stuff out. My club has tons of old shirts/suits/etc… Rugger wore one in Belle River, I’m wearing an old one of someones… just some food for thought.[/quote]

How’d the meet go? I was in the second flight so I didn’t see much of you guys.

As far as qualifying totals I think because I’m a junior I only need to total class III to be eligible for provincials and nationals and I’m well there so I should be fine…actaully doing well at the competition might be another thing. I actaully own a squat suit, its an Inzer Z (so I’m sure I could probably do better) I’ve trained in it a couple times but I have some reservations about it. To be honest gear doesn’t really apeal to me, although I might look into it if its what I need to be competative. The other reason is I train alone, I can’t seem to find a good powerlifting gym in my area (Mississauga and Kingston) which means no spotters, hand-off guys, board guys, ect which I could see being dangerous with a bench shirt

Tues, June 9
RANDOM TRAINING
dynamic warmup

BENCH (weights in kilos)
5 @ 60
3 @ 80
1 @ 100
1 @ 115
1 @ 130 (286 lbs.) → PR!! I didn’t get to go for a new PR at the meet but I felt my bench had definately improved and I’ve been stuck in a rut for over a year now and just needed this

POWER CLEANS
1x3 @ 60
2x3 @ 80
4x1 @ 100

CLEAN AND JERKS
2x1 @ 60
1x1 @ 80
1x1 @ 100 → missed this a couple times 'till I just sacked up and caught the damn bar, the jerk felt easy, which is sweet because 100 is only about 5kgs off my best ever jerk

A fun little session today, I haven’t done much O-lifting since I tore my bicep in October and since I’ve been surrounded by Olympic lifters for the past month I’ve had a bit of a hankering to try it.

good lifts man, strong squat.

[quote]whup wrote:
good lifts man, strong squat.[/quote]

Thanks alot whup! Now if only I could get my bench to follow suit

[quote]Astar wrote:
Court wrote:

Gear is fun. I competed in just wraps and a belt in my first meet back in January, but decided there was no harm in trying it out after that. I’ve since gotten into a suit as well as a shirt and enjoy it. If your interest isn’t there at all, that’s cool, but if you’re interested and just don’t know where to start/don’t want to buy a bunch of stuff, I’d suggest getting into contact with one of the clubs to see if you could meet up with them to train and try some stuff out. My club has tons of old shirts/suits/etc… Rugger wore one in Belle River, I’m wearing an old one of someones… just some food for thought.

As far as qualifying totals I think because I’m a junior I only need to total class III to be eligible for provincials and nationals and I’m well there so I should be fine…actaully doing well at the competition might be another thing. I actaully own a squat suit, its an Inzer Z (so I’m sure I could probably do better) I’ve trained in it a couple times but I have some reservations about it. To be honest gear doesn’t really apeal to me, although I might look into it if its what I need to be competative. The other reason is I train alone, I can’t seem to find a good powerlifting gym in my area (Mississauga and Kingston) which means no spotters, hand-off guys, board guys, ect which I could see being dangerous with a bench shirt[/quote]

I had a good meet. 150kg squat, 82.5 bench. Deadlift I was going for my Masters total, so jumped to it after my opener and didn’t get it either time.

I only ever get in my gear (esp bench shirt) when I head down to my club (in St. Catherines) because I too wouldn’t feel safe on my own. Not to mention if you can get your bench shirt on yourself, it’s too loose. I’m in Oakville, so I feel your pain in the lack of PLers.

At the end of the day, to be competitive in the CPU you need to be in gear like the rest of the top lifters. However if for now you’re doing it and don’t care about that, then there’s no need.

[quote]Court wrote:
Astar wrote:
Court wrote:

As far as qualifying totals I think because I’m a junior I only need to total class III to be eligible for provincials and nationals and I’m well there so I should be fine…actaully doing well at the competition might be another thing. I actaully own a squat suit, its an Inzer Z (so I’m sure I could probably do better) I’ve trained in it a couple times but I have some reservations about it. To be honest gear doesn’t really apeal to me, although I might look into it if its what I need to be competative. The other reason is I train alone, I can’t seem to find a good powerlifting gym in my area (Mississauga and Kingston) which means no spotters, hand-off guys, board guys, ect which I could see being dangerous with a bench shirt

I had a good meet. 150kg squat, 82.5 bench. Deadlift I was going for my Masters total, so jumped to it after my opener and didn’t get it either time.

I only ever get in my gear (esp bench shirt) when I head down to my club (in St. Catherines) because I too wouldn’t feel safe on my own. Not to mention if you can get your bench shirt on yourself, it’s too loose. I’m in Oakville, so I feel your pain in the lack of PLers.

At the end of the day, to be competitive in the CPU you need to be in gear like the rest of the top lifters. However if for now you’re doing it and don’t care about that, then there’s no need.[/quote]

Glad to hear it went well, I found your log…that was a huge jump on the deadlift, good fight though.

As far as gear, I might look into it in a few months, I’m having fun setting PRs without it right now and there’s no harm in getting stronger, but it looks like a bridge that may have to eventually get crossed

Weds, June 10
MORE DELOAD WORK
dynamic warmup

OVERHEAD SQUATS
lotsx2-4 @ 40 kg

SNATCHES
hit multiple singles at 40, 50 and 60

GHR
1x10 @ BW
2x10 @ BW + 10kg

One of the O-Lifting coaches was in today so I got some pointers on how to do overhead squats and snatches, it helped a ton and they were actually feeling pretty good by the end of it

Thurs, June 11

FLOOR PRESS
warmup w/ bar
1x5 @ 130
1x3 @ 185
1x3 @ 220
1x1 @ 240
2x3 @ 200

dynamic warmup

FRONT SQUATS
1x3 @ 130
1x2 @ 185
4x2 @ 220

BOX SQUATS
4x2 @ 220

SLDL off plate + SHRUGS
10 + 10 @ 220

PULLUPS
1+2+3+4+5 (15)

REVERSE HYPERS
10 @ 27.5kg
10 @ 30kg

SUN JUNE 14
STRONGMAN CONDITIONING

had a training weekend with the team, had several hours of practice plus conditioning work. It was a combination of tire flips + car sprints, various hill sprints, keg tossing and some other stuff. Fun, but draining, I puked after a couple rounds of tire fliping and car sprinting

MON JUNE 14
SHEIKO PHASE TWO, DAY ONE, WEEK ONE

SQUAT (using 8 foot squat bar)
warmup w/ bar
1x5 @ 145
1x5 @ 260
1x4 @ 315
2x3 @ 365
5x3 @ 415 → add belt

BENCH (in kg)
1x5 @ 70 (154)
2x4 @ 85 (187)
2x3 @ 95 (209)
6x3 @ 110 (242)

trained at the Anvil in TO, a pretty sweet little setup plus a group of experienced lifters. I got a couple of form corrections so I’ll try to fix those over the next couple weeks. My only concern is that there isn’t alot of equipment which makes a sheiko double day difficult to do, so I may look into tweaking monday’s workout so that I only do one block each of squating and benching, or I might try to get into my other gym earlier and do part of the workout before hand.

TUES JUNE 16
CONTINUING DAY ONE
dynamic warmup + stretch

BENCH
1x5 @ 70 (154)
1x5 @ 80 (176)
5x5 @ 95 (209)

SQUAT (high bar, wide grip)
warmup w/ bar
1x5 @ 70 (154)
1x5 @ 130 (286)
1x4 @ 140 (308) (should have been 150)
2x1 @ 175 (385) → add belt, too heavy for this style
3x3 @ 160 (352) → w/ belt

I tried high bar squats today because I have a tendancy for my hips to rise first out of the hole and to do a goodmorning, especially on my 2nd and 3rd reps. Hopefully, doing a block of squats this way each week will help teach me to lead with my head and stay more upright.

WEDS JUNE 17
DAY TWO
dynamic warmup

REVERSE HYPERS
2x12 @ 45 (99)

DEADLIFTS
1x4 @ 70 (154)
1x4 @ 120 (264)
2x4 @ 145 (319)
2x3 @ 170 (374)
5x3 @ 192.5 (423.5) → add belt + mixed grip, played w/ stance

BENCH
1x5 @ 70 (154)
1x4 @ 80 (176)
2x4 @ 95 (209)
2x3 @ 102.5 (225.5)
2x2 @ 110 (242)
2x1 @ 115 (253)
2x2 @ 110 (242)
2x3 @ 102.5 (225.5)
1x4 @ 95 (209)
1x6 @ 90 (198)
1x8 @ 82.5 (181.5)
1x10 @ 75 (165)
1x12 @ 70 (154)

I’m a little frustrated, this is the second workout I’ve failed to complete this week, my biceps were sore so I took a little extra time in between sets but I think I really need to block out more time, the workouts seem to take me a little over 3 hours to do, so with transportation and warmup I feel I should set aside a solid 4 hours. Plus I need to eat better, I’ve been eating like an work camp prisoner. I tried doing some reverse hypers as part of my warm up, I think I’ll keep doing it, it gets some extra work in before I beat myself down with the big lifts.

FRI JUNE 19
DAY TWO, PART TWO
quick warmup

DEADLIFTS FROM BLOCKS
1x4 @ 145 (319)
1x3 @ 170 (374)
2x3 @ 195 (429) → used straps
4x2 @ 215 (473) → no straps, no belt, mixed grip

REVERSE HYPERS
4x8 @ 50 (110)

Which Sheiko template are you using? Have you ever done one before?

BTW, How was it training at The Anvil? Was it a one off or are you heading there on a regular basis?

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:

BTW, How was it training at The Anvil? Was it a one off or are you heading there on a regular basis?[/quote]

I’m using sheiko 30, I used the last 3 weeks (2,3,4) to prep for the Belle River meet so now I’m doing it again with the new maxes. I like it because it has a good amount of lifting at 80% and there is plenty of work at 85 and 90, its not exactely max work but it’s fairly heavy. I’m messing around a bit with the assisstance work, some of the exercises aren’t translatted on the template I got from EFS plus my gym has a reverse hyper…since I started lifting using a westside template it kinda feels like I found the holy grail so I do alot of those in place of lunges sometimes.

The Anvil was sweet, its a nice settup and a solid crew of guys. Hopefully I will be getting down there at least once a week, preferably twice…it sounded like I was invited back.

[quote]Astar wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:

BTW, How was it training at The Anvil? Was it a one off or are you heading there on a regular basis?

I’m using sheiko 30, I used the last 3 weeks (2,3,4) to prep for the Belle River meet so now I’m doing it again with the new maxes. I like it because it has a good amount of lifting at 80% and there is plenty of work at 85 and 90, its not exactely max work but it’s fairly heavy. I’m messing around a bit with the assisstance work, some of the exercises aren’t translatted on the template I got from EFS plus my gym has a reverse hyper…since I started lifting using a westside template it kinda feels like I found the holy grail so I do alot of those in place of lunges sometimes.

The Anvil was sweet, its a nice settup and a solid crew of guys. Hopefully I will be getting down there at least once a week, preferably twice…it sounded like I was invited back.[/quote]

Yeah, you can’t beat training with a good crew.

As for the template, if you have any questions about it Eric Talment keeps a log here and it was Eric’s coach and Eric that had posted it on EFS. Modi and mrodock also have done some Sheiko stuff off the top of my head and both have logs as well.

SAT JUNE 20
DAY THREE, WEEK ONE
dynamic warmup

SQUATS
warmup w/ bar
1x5 @ 70 (154)
1x5 @ 120 (264)
2x4 @ 140 (308)
2x3 @ 165 (363)
5x3 @ 190 (418) → add belt, dumped rep 3 of set 1, lost balance/being a pussy, re-racked and did it again

BENCH
1x5 @ 70 (154)
2x4 @ 82.5 (181.5)
2x3 @ 95 (209)
6x2 @ 110 (242)

SQUATS
1x5 @ 120 (264) → high bar
2x5 @ 140 (308) → high bar, added belt for set two
4x4 @ 165 (363) → w/ belt, 1st set high bar, last 3 low bar

DIPS ON GHR (in between sets of squats)
5x6

SITUPS OVER GHR
3x10 w/ 5kg plate behind head

Today was rough, I gave myself 4 hours and was still pressed for time, I also dumped the bar 3 times during the workout, although I feel I’ve been doing a better job of keeping my chest up during squats. I think the problem is weak abs, I could barely finish my first set of 140 w/ a high bar and my abs were almost caving in.

I had to use my belt to get the rest of the reps. Looking back over my training the past few months I really haven’t been doing any consitent ab work, definately something to fix.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Yeah, you can’t beat training with a good crew.

As for the template, if you have any questions about it Eric Talment keeps a log here and it was Eric’s coach and Eric that had posted it on EFS. Modi and mrodock also have done some Sheiko stuff off the top of my head and both have logs as well.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, at the moment I don’t really have any questions about the template, this past week was just a tough adjustment getting back into that kind of volume with higher intensities due to my new maxes. Also I need to get my head out of my ass during my deload weeks…PR benches, floor presses and heavy C+Js and snatches probably arne’t the best idea.

MON JUNE 22

SQUAT (w/ 8 foot bar)
1x5 @ 145
1x5 @ 260
2x4 @ 310
2x3 @ 365
2x2 @ 415 → add belt
miss 465
2x1 @ 465 → w/ belt, 1st borderline 2nd sunk deep

TUES JUNE 23

BENCH
1x5 @ 70
1x4 @ 82.5
2x3 @ 95
6x2 @ 110

SQUAT
warmup w/ bar
1x5 @ 120
1x4 @ 140
2x3 @ 165
2x2 @ 190

my biceps are killing me, definately slowing down the pace of my workouts, I’m trying to ice them often as that seems to help