T Nation

Assistant Exercises For The Squat

..that don't involve chains or bands.

Which assistant exercises have helped you take your squat to the next level?

Glute-ham raises for me. I like the apparatus much better than the natural way.

Good mornings have been pretty benificaial to me.

I did KB swings for a short amount of time, they seemed to work ok. I heard theyre very usefull when used on a regular basis.

Good mornings + front squats + heavy ab work

Machine hack squat. Heh. Seriously. It’s rough on my knees, though. :-/ And Good Mornings.

[quote]FROGGBUSTER wrote:
…that don’t involve chains or bands.

Which assistant exercises have helped you take your squat to the next level?[/quote]

Deadlifts, and read older post before you ask something like this. I know its been asked before, because me and 5 other people said deadlifts 5 months ago.

[quote]LjSimpson08 wrote:
FROGGBUSTER wrote:

Deadlifts, and read older post before you ask something like this. I know its been asked before, because me and 5 other people said deadlifts 5 months ago.[/quote]

Couldn’t find anything

Higher volume and/or intensity has helped my squat without adding any assistance lifts

Single limb work, good mornings, sldls, lots of core work, and conditioning.

[quote]LjSimpson08 wrote:
FROGGBUSTER wrote:

Deadlifts, and read older post before you ask something like this. I know its been asked before, because me and 5 other people said deadlifts 5 months ago.[/quote]

deadlifts are not accessory to squat… If youre doing a squat workout (since this is the pling forum im assuming youre training for strength) you wont be doing sets of heavy deadlifts in it…
If you get stronger at deadlift you will likely get stronger at squat aswell, but they should be done on separate days.
In a squat workout, make sure you include hip-extension and single leg and heavy ab work; that should be enough to cover your bases.

Sample workout:
low bar Squats: work up to heavy triple
high bar squat burnout: 1 x 25ish
Bulgarian split squats: 3 x 12
Good Mornings: 3 x 12
Ab-pulldowns: 3 x 12

Front squats, Zerchers, and good mornings.

goodmornings, goodmorings, and goodmornings. One of my personal favorites. It really helps keep your back in a proper position when you are working out of the hole during a squat

Core work. Farmers carry, conans, planks. etc.

[quote]FROGGBUSTER wrote:

Which assistant exercises have helped you take your squat to the next level?[/quote]

Heavy rack pulls

Lots of ppl liking Good Mornings I see…

Heavy ab work’s number one in my opinion. High volume, high rep squatting as a follow up kills too. 3-5 sets of 5-10 reps after a heavy 3-5 reps is a great way to make gains.

Front squats rock too.

Deadlifting’s always done shit all for my squat.