T Nation

Assistance Work

I have a very beginner question but I’ll post it anyways. When I do my assistance work should I use the same weight for every set? For example for dumbbell flyes I do 3 sets of 10. Should I do 10 reps with 40lbs for each set? Or should I work up to a max effort set? The main goal is hypertrophy. Thanks

You can do it many ways, straight sets, AMRAP, ramping, ect. But for isolation, straight sets ( three sets of ten at 70 pounds for an example) or AMRAP (like 20, 15, 10 at a certain weight or whatever rep range you want) is probably the best option or possibly straight sets, then one set with as many reps as possible.

I’d say have a range of, say, 8-12. Grab whatever dumbbells allow you to stay in that range. So if you get 12, 10, 8, fine. If you get more than 12, go heavier. If you get less than 8, go lighter.

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:
I’d say have a range of, say, 8-12. Grab whatever dumbbells allow you to stay in that range. So if you get 12, 10, 8, fine. If you get more than 12, go heavier. If you get less than 8, go lighter.[/quote]

This is the simplest way, OP.