Assistance Work on 531 Dynamic Effort

Dynamic work on pages 16/17 in beyond 531 has no coments on assistance work
Would it be none or maybe just one like in BBB ???

No. I’m not sure you understood the program and how things are layed out. Assistance would be typical Wendler 6 with exception of single let work.

Please do it AS WRITTEN.

thank you very much Jim now is clear

hey jim was going to add dynamic work in from beyond book I like the 2nd variation and also the 1st. please can you tell me if it should be done for a cycle say for 3-6 weeks or can be done all the time or should it not be over done.

can adding in the variation like fsl or a joker be too much? and of course not doing this all the time but cycling them around. im sorry I trying to understand if this can be done would be helpful. want to get strong on my lifts using the dynamic work.

thanks anthony

I usually recommend 3-6 week cycles.

As for FSL and BBB - the “dynamic work” is the supplemental work of that particular 3-6 week program. Not sure why you need that to get strong? If you need speed, bar speed on heavier work AND jumps/throws as well as attention to ab/low back work is FAR SUPERIOR.

I have seen this far too many times to be a coincidence. Bar speed needs to be factored in at some point of your training “life”. Obviously not something for a beginner. Just something to think about.

Remember the body IS NOT DIVIDED into upper and lower “parts”. It’s a unit. Treat it as such. When you do so, “dynamic” becomes a (pardon the pun) more dynamic.

I have noticed that I have gotten stronger over 2 1/2 of doing your programs Jim W. im gonna be 49 yrs and im 6 ft 240lbs. my lifts I wish were higher for my size. im battling with deadlift for a 1 rep of 460lbs conventional stance,squat did 400lbs for 2reps and bench 315 for 1 rep and military press is at my best 200 for 2 on my best day if all goes right.i do always drop the training maxes down to reset myself if I get stuck. I wish I was stronger lol. kids in my gym think im strong LOL. so im was thinking to try the dynamic to help me more with getter heavier lifts out. progress is very slow right now. 1 rep more here 2 sometimes there and I deload or take the whole week off every 7 week because I feel sometimes tired but not complaining. no aches pains or injuries. lowe back gets very sore but after rolling out and your warmups the defranco stuff i feel good.

a guy in my gym believes that these types of work (quick explosive work jumps throw and bar movemovent)will make your lifts go up that is why I was curious to ask if this was a good idea for me. the guy can move 365 on bench like its 225lbs lol fast.

can you tell me why this dynamic work would be chosen to use? when is it used for? I need to understand this so I can implement this tool. I appreciate the help over on these message boards and I know it is not the best place for ever know answer. but I appreciate your help man. your a good guy :slight_smile:

I don’t think im a beginner what would you say i would be at right now. intermediate??? thanks

thanks anthony

and also the book does say that the joker can be used so i will use that if it calls for on that day if i get a pr or feeling good.

i want to be bigger and stronger :slight_smile:

Tried the 5/3/1 workout and I had made tremendous gains.
Took a 10years break from gym, lazy is the reason. Went back to gym 1year plus ago and was hitting a plateau 1 yr into it. On traditional training, 12 reps for 3-5sets etc… Bench press was stuck on 95kg/209lb for the longest period of time. Dead lift was lousy, Squats were messy.

After reading the article and really following the cycle recommended. I was making huge gains within the 2-3 cycle. Now, Iâ??m able to bench 105kg/209lb for 8 reps under 5/3/1* set, deadlift @100kg n squat @85kg (Weak legs, but training hard). To many, itâ??s nothing, but to me, itâ??s a huge gain… So really thumbs up and thank you for the thorough write up on the program. Truly appreciated.

Nowadays, I tend to mix the cycle up. I would do legs n shoulders in a same workout session, Back with Biceps n Chest with Triceps separately and perform the 1000rep challenge workout for arms once a month. Once in a while, I will go for maximum weight load on the supplementary exercises (Leg press @ 200kg, Dumbbell press@25kg, leg extensions etc�) recommended in the 5/3/1 programs. Please let me know your thoughts on my workout.

[quote]bigtony200 wrote:
I have noticed that I have gotten stronger over 2 1/2 of doing your programs Jim W. im gonna be 49 yrs and im 6 ft 240lbs. my lifts I wish were higher for my size. im battling with deadlift for a 1 rep of 460lbs conventional stance,squat did 400lbs for 2reps and bench 315 for 1 rep and military press is at my best 200 for 2 on my best day if all goes right.i do always drop the training maxes down to reset myself if I get stuck. I wish I was stronger lol. kids in my gym think im strong LOL. so im was thinking to try the dynamic to help me more with getter heavier lifts out. progress is very slow right now. 1 rep more here 2 sometimes there and I deload or take the whole week off every 7 week because I feel sometimes tired but not complaining. no aches pains or injuries. lowe back gets very sore but after rolling out and your warmups the defranco stuff i feel good.

a guy in my gym believes that these types of work (quick explosive work jumps throw and bar movemovent)will make your lifts go up that is why I was curious to ask if this was a good idea for me. the guy can move 365 on bench like its 225lbs lol fast.

can you tell me why this dynamic work would be chosen to use? when is it used for? I need to understand this so I can implement this tool. I appreciate the help over on these message boards and I know it is not the best place for ever know answer. but I appreciate your help man. your a good guy :slight_smile:

I don’t think im a beginner what would you say i would be at right now. intermediate??? thanks

thanks anthony[/quote]

I admit that I don’t understand your question.

[quote]thomaslai wrote:
Tried the 5/3/1 workout and I had made tremendous gains.
Took a 10years break from gym, lazy is the reason. Went back to gym 1year plus ago and was hitting a plateau 1 yr into it. On traditional training, 12 reps for 3-5sets etc… Bench press was stuck on 95kg/209lb for the longest period of time. Dead lift was lousy, Squats were messy.

After reading the article and really following the cycle recommended. I was making huge gains within the 2-3 cycle. Now, Iâ??m able to bench 105kg/209lb for 8 reps under 5/3/1* set, deadlift @100kg n squat @85kg (Weak legs, but training hard). To many, itâ??s nothing, but to me, itâ??s a huge gain… So really thumbs up and thank you for the thorough write up on the program. Truly appreciated.

Nowadays, I tend to mix the cycle up. I would do legs n shoulders in a same workout session, Back with Biceps n Chest with Triceps separately and perform the 1000rep challenge workout for arms once a month. Once in a while, I will go for maximum weight load on the supplementary exercises (Leg press @ 200kg, Dumbbell press@25kg, leg extensions etcâ?¦) recommended in the 5/3/1 programs. Please let me know your thoughts on my workout.
[/quote]

Congrats on the progress. I don’t understand your program but it’s not for me to understand: if it gets you in the gym and you are happy, so be it. What I do and how I train others is pretty well documented. Good luck and stay in the gym.

1 Like

hey Jim sorry I didn’t get the response from my email.

will this dynamic work help get my lifts to get stronger so I can move more weigth?

also in the template big Jim should I do all the movements with the dynamic work from the beyond book? im doing second variation should i choose only weak movements like the deads and bench? 2 movements per week.

and,

also can they be switched like on week2 do military dynamically and then do squats?

thankyou Jim!

Weird question. I know this is a old post. With the dynamic work listed for deadlift, maybe I’m confused but there’s no percentage listed for deadlifts? It just says 5x2?