T Nation

Assistance Exercises for Overhead Press

So I workout from home. I currently do OHP twice a week (M/F) and I don't have a bench (don't plan on getting one). I have bumpers/barbell/lifting platform. I also have 2 saw horses and 2 4x4 to make a dip station.

Here is a link to my log:
https://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/from_urkel_to_stefan_with_front_squats_deadlifts_overhead_press

I can do 115lb 3x5 and weigh 160lbs. I plan on staying around this weight because I'll be competing in the 69kg weight class. OHP is the only true pressing exercise that I do. The rest of my exercises are all squats and pulls. But I think I'm going to stall soon enough here.

Any advice with what I can do help assist my OHP?
Dips? [I can do 4x15, and don't have room to do weighted at the house]
Push Press?
Floor Press?
Handstand Pushups?
Change reps/sets?
Increase to 3x a week?
Decrease to 1x a week?

I am working on my core a shit ton as well and have felt incredible stable when doing these. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

With some of the advice given in these threads, I actually did less OHP and started incorporating a LOT more shoulder isolation work, as my press hadn’t moved in months. After a a short while my press has noticeably improved.

Front raises & pull-ups

[quote]TX iron wrote:
With some of the advice given in these threads, I actually did less OHP and started incorporating a LOT more shoulder isolation work, as my press hadn’t moved in months. After a a short while my press has noticeably improved.[/quote]

This was huge for me. My press was getting weaker and I was getting injured from pressing too often. When I toned it back and did some more bodybuilding style work, it took off and my shoulders felt much better.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
This was huge for me. My press was getting weaker and I was getting injured from pressing too often. When I toned it back and did some more bodybuilding style work, it took off and my shoulders felt much better.
[/quote]

So the only thing is I workout in my garage and can’t really afford to buy new equipment right now. So I can’t use DBs/KBs/Machines.

So what would your suggestion be based on that? Just to do more plate lateral raises, plate front raises, etc for body building style work? So do my OHP once a week, but do the raises the other 2 days I lift instead of OHP pressing?

[quote]isdatnutty wrote:
So the only thing is I workout in my garage and can’t really afford to buy new equipment right now. So I can’t use DBs/KBs/Machines. So what would your suggestion be based on that? Just to do more plate lateral raises, plate front raises, etc for body building style work? For example:

MONDAY - OHP 3x5
WEDNESDAY - Lateral Raises 3x10
FRIDAY - Front Raises 3x10[/quote]

I like giant/super-setting front/lateral/rear. One of my faves is a 5/4/3/2/1 scheme w/ no rest & LIGHT weight. Like 10lbs light tops. Thibs’ shoulder growth factor complexes were great too.

[quote]isdatnutty wrote:
So the only thing is I workout in my garage and can’t really afford to buy new equipment right now. So I can’t use DBs/KBs/Machines.

So what would your suggestion be based on that? Just to do more plate lateral raises, plate front raises, etc for body building style work? So do my OHP once a week, but do the raises the other 2 days I lift instead of OHP pressing?[/quote]

Yup. small plates are great for side raises.

just hold little plates in your hands. You don’t need much weight at all to get a good workout doing raises so long as you use good form

EDIT: sorry Nighthawkz, didn’t see your pos

[quote]Yogi wrote:
You don’t need much weight at all to get a good workout doing raises so long as you use good form[/quote]

I think this needs more emphasis. Most people don’t realise what a tiny and weak muscle the medial delt is when you use it in isolation. Add the massive mechanical disadvantage of straighening your arm and you get an exercise that will make 10 lbs very taxing for a long, long, long time.

[quote]isdatnutty wrote:

[/quote]

So what would your suggestion be based on that? Just to do more plate lateral raises, plate front raises, etc for body building style work? So do my OHP once a week, but do the raises the other 2 days I lift instead of OHP pressing?[/quote]

I also workout in my garage.

To echo what everyone else has said, hold plates. I only use 10lbs of weight. Right now, my shoulder circuit is this

-60 reps partial ROM shoulder press (I use a 5lb DB handle, but a plate would work just fine. I press until the point that my triceps are about to take over and then reverse the rep)
-10 front raises (10lb plate)
-10 lateral raises (10lb plate)

No rest between movements. And I do band pull aparts in between sets of EVERYTHING on my upperbody days.

Thanks everyone. Once I hit my stall point I’ll give this a try for a few weeks and see how it goes. Luckily I haven’t experienced any pain from pressing twice a week.

I only recently started doing handstand push-ups a few weeks ago, but have already noticed a difference in my OHP. They seem to strengthen a lot of the stabilizer muscles in the upper back that don’t necessarily get hit very well when pressing a barbell. It’s too soon for me to really recommend them, but I wish I started doing them long ago.

[quote]TX iron wrote:

[quote]isdatnutty wrote:
So the only thing is I workout in my garage and can’t really afford to buy new equipment right now. So I can’t use DBs/KBs/Machines. So what would your suggestion be based on that? Just to do more plate lateral raises, plate front raises, etc for body building style work? For example:

MONDAY - OHP 3x5
WEDNESDAY - Lateral Raises 3x10
FRIDAY - Front Raises 3x10[/quote]

I like giant/super-setting front/lateral/rear. One of my faves is a 5/4/3/2/1 scheme w/ no rest & LIGHT weight. Like 10lbs light tops. Thibs’ shoulder growth factor complexes were great too.
[/quote]

I hate it when other people invent the same stuff that I’e already invented.

So 2 questions:

1. Since I think pretty soon I’ll move to doing OHP once a week, should I keep doing it at 3x5 or should I increase the volume to 5x5(straight sets) or something else since it’ll be only once a week?

2. So I’m guessing for this shoulder circuit (I have 5 & 10 lbs plates, I’ll start with 5lbs) I should do 10 front raises, 10 later raises, 10 rear and do that 3 times? And do this twice a week?

I plan on shifting my OHP to WED so I’m thinking:

MON - Shoulder Circuit
WED - OHP
FRI - Shoulder Circuit

Try stuff out and see what works for you.

Try stuff out and see what works for you.[/quote]

You are right. I’m so use to training being more “rigid” that I sometimes feel like if i mess around for a few weeks that it’ll mess something up, which I know is not the case at all now. Thanks! I’ll try it out and see how it goes!

Things that helped me…
Every 3-4weeks do no barbell work and did sort of heavy deload: hammer strength military press/smith machine very heavy i/e big pyramid up to 2x2 or3x3 then drop weight for quick 5x10

getting strong on incline bench(both dumbell and barbell)

speed band tricep pressdown for 5x20ish

tons of tricep work focusing on the stretch position esp scott extensions

heavy leg raises

on last heavy rep of normal barbell militaries did a super slow negative for count of 30 and squeeze hell out of glutes and focus on staying tight overall

tons of these…