Assistance/Big Second Lift Programming

Hey Jim, regarding the assistance programming on your site from a couple weeks back, is the second percentage meant to be done rest-pause style for a triple set or is it literally one all-out set? Have you tried this style with any big lifts? Like using it for front squat after basic 531 squat? or is it only meant for the small stuff? I’m a big fan of low volume-high intensity rep work like original 531, making training fun, and not spending a whole lot of time on things if I don’t need to.

Thanks

PS This would of course be instead of FSL/BBB, not in addition to.

It did look like it could reel in time doing assistance while getting quality work in. I was wondering about the big barbell assistance lifts too and why jim chose to leave them off his list.

[quote]NickSP wrote:
Hey Jim, regarding the assistance programming on your site from a couple weeks back, is the second percentage meant to be done rest-pause style for a triple set or is it literally one all-out set? Have you tried this style with any big lifts? Like using it for front squat after basic 531 squat? or is it only meant for the small stuff? I’m a big fan of low volume-high intensity rep work like original 531, making training fun, and not spending a whole lot of time on things if I don’t need to.

Thanks

PS This would of course be instead of FSL/BBB, not in addition to.[/quote]

I don’t think you read the article - I mention the exact lifts this is used with. As for rest pause, again, it is all in the article. Some lifts you can do RP, others don’t lend themselves (for example TBar rows).

Programming assistance is really for a select few people who have a 100% grasp on their training and can afford to look beyond. If your diet, sleep, recovery, conditioning, flexibility is all 100% compliant for 6 months, I believe this could be for you. But it it isn’t, you are better off getting your major stuff taken care of. Just my opinion.