T Nation

Assess My Diet/Program Please

I’ve been training for about 6 - 7 months and have made some gains in strength and muscle mass but I’m having trouble with getting rid of fat weight.

My stats at the moment are;

Male, 25 years old.

243 lbs (roughly 18% bf so still on a fat bastard level)
Squat; 242 lbs up from 175 lbs
Deadlift; 330 lbs up from 209 lbs
Bench; 220 lbs up from 145 lbs

The program;

Day 1; Legs

Squats 5x5

Deadlifts 5 x 5

Day 2;

Bench press 5x5

Military Press 5 x 5

Dips 5 x 5

Day 3;

Bicep curls 8 x 3

Skullcrushers 8 x 3

Bent over rows 5 x 5

Day 4;

Close grip bench press 5x5

Deadlifts 5 x 5

Standing rows 5 x 5

Day 5;

Standing shoulder press (dumbell) 5 x 5

Front Squats 5 x 5

Pull ups 5 x 5

The diet;

Breakfast;

4 whole eggs, 100g of ham (18g protein, 1g carb, 4g fat)

4 capsules of fish oil (roughly 2g) taken 30 minutes after the meal

Or

2 scoops (48g) of whey protein in water, 2 tsp flax seeds, 1 whole egg.

Pre workout;

24g of whey protein in water.

Post workout;

48g of whey protein in water, 1/2 cup of oats or blueberres.

Lunch/post workout meal;

100 - 200g of ham, along with either oats or green veggies.

Dinner;

400g of either ground beef with onion, grilled chicken with steamed veggies or salmon filets with steamed veggies.

4 caps of omega 3

Pre sleep;

24g casein in water, ingested roughly 1 hour before bedtime.

I’m having problems deciding if my problem is eating too much or too little and I want to avoid losing newbie gain time because of diet or program flaws. I’m trying to cut fat while retaining or possibly gaining muscle.

Any information I left out please let me know.

Thanks

Scelerat.

Congrats on the progress! My thoughts:

1. Need to up the volume a ton. You aren’t stimulating the muscles enough. If you were doing low-volume, you’d need drop sets and the sort. Based on your stats, 5x5 is a bit out of your strength range, so you might want to do a more traditional workout. Just adhere to something on the site.

2. You need to eat more. That looks like barely enough food to survive on, and you really need to ramp up calories to ramp up metabolism. Do something like the T Diet 2.0 or a good Berardi meal plan, but aim for 40-30-30 macros (carb-fat-pro)

3. Bust your ass in the gym!

[quote]acelement wrote:
Congrats on the progress! My thoughts:

1. Need to up the volume a ton. You aren’t stimulating the muscles enough. If you were doing low-volume, you’d need drop sets and the sort. Based on your stats, 5x5 is a bit out of your strength range, so you might want to do a more traditional workout. Just adhere to something on the site.
    [/quote]

I agree, I realized when I looked at it after I wrote it down that I’d probably been slacking off. I’m thinking of switching to 8x3 and doing a minimum of 20 sets each workout.

According to my spreadsheet, my daily expenditure is about 2700 calories and the diet is about 2000. I’m getting about 1g of protein for every lbs of lean body mass, and the breakdown comes down to something like; 200g protein, 75g fat and 50g carbs.
Should I up this to closer to my daily expenditure when I’m trying to lose fat?

Thanks for taking the time.

2000 calories is not enough for a well trained small female to live on your 245 lbs, a male, and 6+ foot. Eat some more good food it will give you energy for better workouts raise your BMR and in the end lead to faster results.

as far as the workout. I would keep it simple. I have to disagree with the above poster that your volume isnt high enough. If I were to do 5x5 and really do 5x5 on squat and deadlift in one session give then the attention and intensity they deserve. It would be trouble walking out of the gym. Quality over qty.

Id suggest using something we do with great success with many newer clients A two day split and a and B session you d A then B with at least one day rest between the two but no more then two. You have simple BASIC big exercises and you give those few all the attention they deserve. And employ exercise stacking.

something like
Power Clean
clean Pull
deadlift
bench Press
bent over row
finish up with something like a strongman event Like truck pulling or farmers walks, sand bag carry. or sprints, of HIIT just a few sets or like 5 minutes of HIIT

the power clean then is the warm up for the clean pull and clean pull warm up for the deadlift, then you hit he bench press and bent over row you just smoked the whole body, maybe your hair didnt get worked

Then day two
something like
lunges
chins and
DB thrusters
again finish up with some type of anaerobic metabolic conditioning

rotate those for 4 two weeks then make small changes to other big moves.

Above alll learn to give your ALL to a few moves. Why do 20-30 sets when if you give it your ALL you could do a few

Hope that helps

[quote]Phill wrote:
2000 calories is not enough for a well trained small female to live on your 245 lbs, a male, and 6+ foot. Eat some more good food it will give you energy for better workouts raise your BMR and in the end lead to faster results.
[/quote]

I’ve been trying to figure out how many calories I should eat using a couple of different calculators online and the “lbs x 18” method in one of the articles on this site.
It ranges from 2500 a day to 4500 a day, seeing as I’m trying to lose fat and have lost 45 lbs of lard already I don’t want to gain it back by eating way too much.
I was hoping that getting about 200g of protein, 100g of fat and under 50g of carbs would help with gaining more lean mass and losing fat mass.

Thank you for your time.

[quote]Scelerat wrote:
Phill wrote:

I’ve been trying to figure out how many calories I should eat using a couple of different calculators online and the “lbs x 18” method in one of the articles on this site.
It ranges from 2500 a day to 4500 a day, seeing as I’m trying to lose fat and have lost 45 lbs of lard already I don’t want to gain it back by eating way too much.
I was hoping that getting about 200g of protein, 100g of fat and under 50g of carbs would help with gaining more lean mass and losing fat mass.

Thank you for your time. [/quote]

Worrying about calorie calcs is a bit too much. Think about food choices. The numbers you have there look good. If if were you i would pop in one day of clean carbs per week or so. That one day will look like beans, brown rice and oatmeal, yams and other complex carb sources.

The carb day will make sure you have quality energy during training without fucking up your well laid fat metabolism low carb scheme. no fucking corn pops and ice cream though.

-chris