Assess Functional Upper Body Str.

[quote]Kozz wrote:
unearth wrote:
So functional = light weight for high reps?

Seems a bit silly.

yes, it is.

What if the desired “function” is to lift a heavy object over your head?
[/quote]

sorry I should have mentioned this earlier- the title of Mike Boyle’s book is “Functional training for SPORTS”

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
Chin-up=68
Inverted Row=50, then it became boring.
Pushup=100+[/quote]

what the hell???

how much do you weigh?

and what is your main training goal strengh or looks?

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
disciplined wrote:
disciplined wrote:
How is one supposed to know how much weight to add to the bar when performing inverted rows?

I’m assuming the inverted row is an upright row with a 45-pound olympic bar?

not exactly. you know rows, you are face down. for inverted rows, Invert the body,suspend under a bar, the bar is fixed in its position, you pull you up to it.
another picture is doing a chin, horizontal, rigid body position.
[/quote]

Here is a pic…but he wants your feet on a bench not the floor…

here is a little excerpt from M. Boyle’s article that was posted on T-Nation a couple weeks ago…

“In addition, all athletes should eventually be able to perform 10-15 inverted rows with the bar at bench press height and the feet elevated 18”. In the inverted row, the athlete should be able to touch his chest to the bar without cheating. Many strong bench pressers will not be able to do one initially and will immediately move to the copout stuff like “I’m not flexible enough to do that.”

You need to remind them if they can lower a bar to the chest, they should be able to pull the chest to the bar. What they lack is true scapula retraction strength. I’ve seen many 400 bench pressers who couldn’t do five good reps.

One interesting point: I’ve never seen an NFL lineman who couldn’t do one chin-up, but have seen many who couldn’t do one good quality inverted row."

[quote]mtotry wrote:
dswithers wrote:
Height/Bodyweight have a lot to do with those numbers. I am bulking and weight around 215 now and can do 15-12-50, at 200 pounds a few months ago I could easily do 25-20-100+.

A better measure of pushing or pressing strength would be handstand pushups. When I weigh 190, I can do 20+, at 205, just 12 and at 215 only 8, even though my military press for reps has gone up by more than my bodyweight!

those are awesome numbers at 200lbs…do you train primarily for strength or bodybuilding?
[/quote]

A little of both, but mostly for good health and just the joy of it. I have been doing it off and on for over 40 years, pretty regularly for the last 10 years.

From my understanding, M. Boyle’s tests/excercises are done slightly different than your “normal” ones. First off, in the chin-up he retracts the shoulder (blades) first then pulls until his chin is above the bar. The inverted row is done somewhat similar (with the retraction done first). Also the push-ups are started with the shoulders pushed foward (protracted) and then lowering until your nose touches the ground.

When I first tried the tests a few months ago, I scored very well (in my opinion). Then I performed the tests the correct way (shoulder retraction) and my scores were horrible. It took some time to get used to the movement and to get stronger.
(Also, one of the leg tests is the single leg squat.)

i can only do about 10 chin ups but 80+ pushups
blah
why? when i as 14-16 I did 5 sets of pushups to failure around 50-100 reps each set.

His tests are definitely a good indicator of functional strength from the perspective of balance. If you can deadlift 500 and bench 300 and squat 450 then great for you, but if you can do 45 pushups and 8 inverted rows than there is an imbalance there…

[quote]KO421 wrote:
blah
why? when i as 14-16 I did 5 sets of pushups to failure around 50-100 reps each set.
[/quote]

There is no way in hell you can do that many pushups straight body, nose to floor and only 10 pullups

Functional for sports… Mmmmk. I think that in order to assess functionality of your strength in a sport…you should see how you do in your sport with the strength levels you are at. Just my personal opinion. I mean, if you increase your squat, and that knocks a few hundredths or even a tenth off your 100m time, then it’d be safe to assume the strength you gained was “functional” right? Just my opinion though.

What is your reasoning? I’ve seen that many times. Probably a grip strength issue. [quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
KO421 wrote:
blah

There is no way in hell you can do that many pushups straight body, nose to floor and only 10 pullups
[/quote]

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
Chin-up=68
Pushup=100+[/quote]

So you got bored doing only 50 inverted rows, yet pushups and chin ups were so exciting that you managed to crank out 68 and 100+?

I think these numbers are Dumb. When I was doing lots of martial arts and weighed very little 125-130 at 5-7 I could do all those to the cows come home. However my bench was around 85 pounds, squat was 130-150 and Dl was 150-170.

Chin Up (shoulder with underhand)-
10-15

Inverted Row (I usually do mine with mine with the smith machine, feet on the floor, an the bar about, maybe 3 pegs up)
15-20

Pushups

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
KO421 wrote:
blah

[/quote]

Perhaps it was through out the day? Set when he woke up, set after his main workout, set before bed… etc. etc.

I think with the pushup and pullup disparity, usually it is the fact that pullups have absolutes. You start at a dead hang, you pull your chin above the bar. Pushups people rarely go nose to floor, and that makes a big difference… However, you are doing alot more work with a pullup, moving alot more weight over a great ROM.

A lot of people do a lot of pushing movements (bench press, military press, pushups, etc.) and neglect their back (and lower body). So it would follow that many people have much better pushing strength than pulling strength.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
KO421 wrote:
blah

[/quote]

yeah I might be able to do 13-15 I dont know I try to be real strict with my pull ups
I cant do that many push ups NOW I weighed about 145lbs back than and pretty much ALL I did was push ups
If you practice something enough chances are you will get good at it

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
Chin-up=68
Pushup=100+
[/quote]

Bullshit. If you’re going to lie, at least be someone believable.

What, am I the only guy who didn’t take him seriously? I think “then it became boring” should’ve clued you in.