T Nation

Ass to Grass vs. Box Squats

[quote]jesuban wrote:
Suppose you have 2 lifters and they both have a 400 max squat. The first lifter does ass to the grass squats and the second does box squats. Could one be considered “stronger” than the other, even though their max weight is the same? Does full ROM beat out static overcome by concentric, or the other way around? Which would be a more difficult feat of strength?[/quote]

2 different lifts which activate muscles to different degrees is really uncomparable. Too many different variables go into these lifts to compare them.

they are both difficult in their own rights

All things being equal, I would say the ass to grass guy has more strength.

[quote]bamit wrote:
All things being equal, I would say the ass to grass guy has more strength.[/quote]

So if they are thee exact same build and squat down to the exact same depth, yet one pauses and one rebound’s back up, the one without the pause is stronger?

How so?

[quote]Tags wrote:
bamit wrote:
All things being equal, I would say the ass to grass guy has more strength.

So if they are thee exact same build and squat down to the exact same depth, yet one pauses and one rebound’s back up, the one without the pause is stronger?

How so?[/quote]

Sorry Tags, what I mean is if you have two guys squatting with the same weight, same stance, same tempo, both pausing in their respective bottom positions, with the only difference being that one is box squatting on a parallel box or slightly below, and the other is going all the way down until his calves and his hams meet. The guy going lower is probably the stronger of the two. Hope this clears things up.

To rank order different types of squats by muscular activation I’d have to say that squats off low pins then box squats and then atg assuming that the lifter bottoms out at the same depth.