T Nation

Aspirin or Ibuporfen

What would you guys recommend for pain? I do take fish oil pills and a blend of Glucosamine Sulfate, MSM, and Chondroitin Sulfate.

I started taking aspirin because Dr. Squat (Fred Hatfield) recommends taking it, but not sure if its for overall health (one one a day) or if he meant it to be a pain reliever (taking 12 a day).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

What’s causing the pain? How bad is the pain?

How much fish oil are you taking?

You aren’t supposed to take aspirin for more than 10 days without consulting your doctor.

Ditch aspirin and ibuprofen. Fish oil is basically like asprin but without side effects. Over time, it destroys your stomach. For Ibuprogen, it just masks the pain meaning the pain is still there but you don’t know it and you can actually make it worse! The pain is a way of telling you to slow down or take a break!

Fish oil destroys your stomach??? Or do you mean ibuporfen and aspirin. I guess the pain comes and goes. Its very tolerable. Its not like it hurts a lot, though. I guess I should use wrist supports and ice more often.

Thanks for the input, guys :slight_smile:

I personally do not believe in symptom treatment. However, especially avoid aspirin, as it can lower T levels.

I would agree with What kind of Pain? Finding out what is causing it can be more valuable in treating it than just choosing a pain reliever.
I had shoulder and back pain for a few years that nothing could touch. Fortunately, a friend of mine is an A.R.T. practitioner and within a few treatments and some flexibility training, I was in better shape than ever.There is some info on this in the archives and links to the ART website.

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
I would agree with What kind of Pain? Finding out what is causing it can be more valuable in treating it than just choosing a pain reliever.
I had shoulder and back pain for a few years that nothing could touch. Fortunately, a friend of mine is an A.R.T. practitioner and within a few treatments and some flexibility training, I was in better shape than ever.There is some info on this in the archives and links to the ART website.[/quote]

Sorry, what is ART stand for?

Also, until I get good health insurance (my health insurance now is crap), I think I’ll try eating 20 cherries a day. Lots of you guys will think “WTF?!”, but there was a recent study that said 20 cherries a day is good for you. My dad heard this while he was in and out of the doctor, about 4-5 times, trying to figure out this pain he had in his leg. After about a week to a week in a half, the pain was gone. Sounds unbelieveable, but its true. I haven’t asked him lately if it has bugged him (his leg), but when it did hurt, you could see him limp.

I totally forgot about that until just now :slight_smile:

HoA, I wouldn’t worry about the aspirin you take for pain lowering T levels, not from the few studies I’ve looked at. There’s at least one clinical trial that shows that aspirin lowers T levels, yes, but the biggest problem I have with that study is that the dose that caused a reduction of T levels in rats/mice (not men) was 5mg of aspirin per 100g of body weight. If you do the math, that would require a 200-pound male to take over 14 aspirin per day.

From another study, “…aspirin treatment inhibits androgen response to chorionic gonadotropin stimulation in normal humans,” but here again, the problem I have is that chorionic gonadotropin is a natural protein hormone which develops in the placenta of pregnant women, so I would imagine the reduction of T levels would be in developing males (in the womb).

The problem I do have with aspirin taken on a daily basis is that where it effectively inhibits the production of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2), a PRO-inflammatory enzyme that causes pain among other things, it also inhibits COX-1 which is protective of the lining of the stomach. That’s why people who take aspirin sometimes end up with stomach pain and even bleeding ulcers.

In case I’m wrong, is anyone aware of any studies that show a reduction in T levels in adult (human) males at less than the max daily dose recommended by the manufacturer?

ART = Active Release Technique. Check out http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=427807 or do a search on Leahy here on this site.

On what Tampa-Terry wrote:

Wow! Thanks a lot for the info. I really appreciate the detailed info. I guess anything can lower T levels. Hell, a beer can lower T levels (but I don’t drink, just using that as a example)but the whole football team in high school was strong as hell, yet drank every weekend. I was thinking about an acupunturist to see what he can do. If nothing else works, I’ll end up going to the doctor.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

HoA, at the very least, get a diagnosis. I had chronic shoulder pain and acute elbow pain that I was living with and working around for longer than I want to admit. ART did wonders for my elbow, though it took a while to fully realize because of the nerve component. It also helped my shoulder, but didn’t fix the muscular imbalance I had. I had to do exercises that strengthened my external rotators and STRETCHED my internal rotators. Between the ART and the strengthening/stretching exercises I was prescribed, I am now totally pain free.

I see so many people with shoulder problems doing exercises for both internal and external rotator cuff muscles, which makes the weak muscles stronger but makes the stronger muscles stronger, too! End result being, the muscular imbalance isn’t corrected. The reason you stretch the stronger muscles is that they are typically tight, limiting ROM and/or the muscles that oppose or antagonize them.

Bottom line is, get a diagnosis first and then study and research the topic to find out what will correct the underlying problem. Seeking only pain releif means that you’ll have to live with the problem for the rest of your life.

BTW, accupuncture is great for pain relief, but will not fix a muscular imbalance. That from someone who is very much an advocate of Traditional Chinese Medicine.

Please let us know what you find out and how it goes!

So can I go straight to an ART or do I have to go to a doctor first to get recommended??

HoA, make sure you read the thread on ART. There’s a huge difference between someone who does ART and someone who does it WELL. Do your research and travel if you have to. It’s definitely worth it.

I wouldn’t think you need a referral. I’m lucky that my insurance pays for chiropractic and thus my ART. Most people who do ART are chiropractors, though there are some PTs and LMTs that do, too.

There’s an ART practitioner locator at http://www.activerelease.com/providerSearch.asp

Thats a lot, TT. That is just the help I was looking for.

Also, great write up :slight_smile:

Here is a link to an article that I wrote on aspirin.

http://archives.zinester.com/11939/2799.html

I could post it here on T-mag, but would probably need the Mod’s permission

Keith

I like what TT had to say … that being said … anything you read here should be taken just for what it is … advice.

I am not an M.D. … not sure if any of these other folks are … but I am in the Medical Field.

We do not know your medical background (age, fam hx, personal hx) and the only true person who should be consulting you on meds is your PCP or Gerneral Practioner.

The field I am in … I have seen the problems that long term use of NSAID’s can do. Asprin is also a blood thinner … take that into consideration.

I know that a lot of folks on here are knowledgeable HOUSE … this is just my .02 ;o)

Goblin