T Nation

Aspiration


#1

Out of curiosity how many of you guys still Aspirate?


#2

Natural selection implies all of us still here still aspirate.

Why would you ever not?


#3

Aspiration is why people shouldn’t talk while they’re eating/drinking. Or try to breathe while vomitting.


#4

I always do.


#5

Yeah every time bro… lol


#6

Flame away… I know I should and I seriously know I should but, I dont. Doctor who showed me how to inject and taught my wife to give me injections never said anything about it and went a few years before anyone ever even brought it up to my attention. I did it a few times after it being brought to my attention and then slowly but surely just stopped doing it. Never had a problem.


#7

I do. Always, mostly out of habit but still. I’d say I get blood about 1 time out of 40. So good enough to do it. I remember a “freak streak” when I happen to be in a vein 3 different times in a row. Besides that, very infrequent but why NOT do it?

What I want to know is if there are tricks to avoid the small bruising that often happens, lasting for a few days, that is a dead give away that I injected?


#8

Well I guess because I didn’t find out until recently that they don’t even teach aspiration techniques anymore for nurses when doing IM injections.


#9

[quote]SwD wrote:
I do. Always, mostly out of habit but still. I’d say I get blood about 1 time out of 40. So good enough to do it. I remember a “freak streak” when I happen to be in a vein 3 different times in a row. Besides that, very infrequent but why NOT do it?

What I want to know is if there are tricks to avoid the small bruising that often happens, lasting for a few days, that is a dead give away that I injected?

[/quote]

What size pin are you using… I have never gotten a bruise or anything like that. Got a lump once in my glute but I hardly ever even bleed any at all.


#10

[quote]Reed wrote:
Flame away… I know I should and I seriously know I should but, I dont. Doctor who showed me how to inject and taught my wife to give me injections never said anything about it and went a few years before anyone ever even brought it up to my attention. I did it a few times after it being brought to my attention and then slowly but surely just stopped doing it. Never had a problem. [/quote]

Inject into a vein even a small amount just once and I promise you will start aspirating.


#11

[quote]SwD wrote:
I do. Always, mostly out of habit but still. I’d say I get blood about 1 time out of 40. So good enough to do it. I remember a “freak streak” when I happen to be in a vein 3 different times in a row. Besides that, very infrequent but why NOT do it?

What I want to know is if there are tricks to avoid the small bruising that often happens, lasting for a few days, that is a dead give away that I injected?

[/quote]

Same here it has been very rare, but it only takes half a second to do.

Have no idea there bro never had that issue. Never had a bruise from injecting EVER.


#12

ohhhhhhhh that kind of aspiration.

I feel like an idiot.


#13

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:
Flame away… I know I should and I seriously know I should but, I dont. Doctor who showed me how to inject and taught my wife to give me injections never said anything about it and went a few years before anyone ever even brought it up to my attention. I did it a few times after it being brought to my attention and then slowly but surely just stopped doing it. Never had a problem. [/quote]

Inject into a vein even a small amount just once and I promise you will start aspirating. [/quote]

I,believe you completely Bauber and am not debating it at all lol just haven’t ever before and have never had the problem and hopefully stays that,way.


#14

[quote]optheta wrote:
Well I guess because I didn’t find out until recently that they don’t even teach aspiration techniques anymore for nurses when doing IM injections.[/quote]

Bingo. When I was being shown how to inject for my TRT the nurse ran through it step by step. When she failed to mention aspiration I questioned her on it. She laughed and said she’s done thousands of injections and never aspirated so for a moment common sense eluded me. It was only when I questioned her on missing out ‘sterilise injection site’ from the list and she gave the same answer that I thought WHAT??!?!

I looked it up; neither are required of any NHS nurse giving IM injections. Seems bizarre to me.

I still do both though.

But I must admit I’m never 100% sure I’ve aspirated properly and always rush it since I don’t like wobbling a needle around inside my ass/leg for too long. Any tips? (Go easy on me I’m new to this!)


#15

[quote]SwD wrote:
I do. Always, mostly out of habit but still. I’d say I get blood about 1 time out of 40. So good enough to do it. I remember a “freak streak” when I happen to be in a vein 3 different times in a row. Besides that, very infrequent but why NOT do it?

What I want to know is if there are tricks to avoid the small bruising that often happens, lasting for a few days, that is a dead give away that I injected?

[/quote]

Push until you get a bead of oil at the tip of the syringe, this will lube it on the way in (lol). If your bruises are tiny purple circles thats normally what it is.


#16

I dont know how you guys asp. your delts and gluts. I can hardly fucking reach either location, let alone aspirate. I usually just shoot the quad so i can aspirate.

I’d love to shoot delts but i can barely reach with 1 hand, and not even sure i could inject. Gluts i can do but no way i can aspirate.

Always slin pins for me too.

Advice?


#17

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:
Flame away… I know I should and I seriously know I should but, I dont. Doctor who showed me how to inject and taught my wife to give me injections never said anything about it and went a few years before anyone ever even brought it up to my attention. I did it a few times after it being brought to my attention and then slowly but surely just stopped doing it. Never had a problem. [/quote]

Inject into a vein even a small amount just once and I promise you will start aspirating. [/quote]

I,believe you completely Bauber and am not debating it at all lol just haven’t ever before and have never had the problem and hopefully stays that,way.[/quote]

Haha well if it Ain’t broke don’t fix it as my granddad always used to say.


#18

[quote]Ned wrote:
I dont know how you guys asp. your delts and gluts. I can hardly fucking reach either location, let alone aspirate. I usually just shoot the quad so i can aspirate.

I’d love to shoot delts but i can barely reach with 1 hand, and not even sure i could inject. Gluts i can do but no way i can aspirate.

Always slin pins for me too.

Advice?[/quote]

So many people talk about having issues shooting glutes and delts. I can do both and aspirate both with little trouble. And I am fairly large…


#19

LARGE you are my friend!

Curious as to how you do it. One handed? I’m sure ill stir the shit out of it the first few tries but i could probably figure it out if thats way to get it done. My quads get sick of me.


#20

And I guess another qualm I have about aspiration is that, it feels like I have to put alot of fucking effort to bring that plunger back just a little bit and i hate the fact that the needle moves a little bit while doing it makes me paranoid I might give my self some muscle trauma from the needle.