Aspartame is Dangerous?

[quote]soupandspoons wrote:
This MSDS provides a little more elaboration/information regarding some of the bullet points listed in the MSDS that JTF posted.

It is easy to scare uninformed people with just a little bit of ambiguous information and a suggestion of the sinister. I am not refuting your other references, as I haven’t reviewed them, but I don’t think that an abbreviated MSDS contributes much to the thread.

http://www.dsm.com/en_US/downloads/hsc/MSDS-en.pdf

Cheers,

Soup[/quote]

My das chat up line years ago used to be;

‘Do you suck fisherman’s friends’

(then if they ever said yes)

‘good cos he’s (points to friend) a fisherman and im his friend’

I don’t think he ever once pulled with that line ever

You know, people have been known to smoke cigarettes all their lives, live to an old age, and never develop any complications from smoking. Does that make the argument that smoking is healthy?? Some people habitually drink and drive and somehow never manage to have an accident. Does this mean laws against DUI are nonsense??

Excellent article, too bad some of the audience is a little dull.

[quote]Scotacus wrote:
You know, people have been known to smoke cigarettes all their lives, live to an old age, and never develop any complications from smoking. Does that make the argument that smoking is healthy?? Some people habitually drink and drive and somehow never manage to have an accident. Does this mean laws against DUI are nonsense??

Excellent article, too bad some of the audience is a little dull.
[/quote]

The DUI example is just not the right type of comparison.

If you smoked a cigarette a month, do you really think it would have an impact on anything?

Have you ever taken aspirin?

Have you ever taken any drugs, as medicine I mean?

It’s not as simple as you might want it to be.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Gambles wrote:
My sister used to drink a ton of diet coke Then when she was diagnosed we took her to a doctor with no result 1 day I ran across the whole aspartame fourm on the internet.

Told my mom what i had found and she had cut thae aspartame out of my sisters diet and almost all of the seuzures stop she still has some some times but much much less it may be perminate damage caused by the aspartame. but still a bit o info for ya.

Then when she was diagnosed with what?
[/quote]

2 years ago Petite-mal eplilepsy

How is the DUI comparison not valid? People who make a habit of doing dangerous things are either skilled (as when the danger is calculated and not simply folly) or lucky (when the risk is folly and unmitigated).

Obviously when it comes to eating the risk is not controllable, therefore avoiding harm is a matter of luck (ie genetic fluke), not intelligence.

Smoking a cigarette once a month is arbitrary and meaningless. Probably those who eat or drink products containing aspertame do so more than once a month, in fact probably do so on a daily basis. (in fact, as one who had what appeared to others an addiction to diet coke, items that contain such crap are addictive and designed to be that way). And yes, smoking daily in significant amounts is harmful.

[quote]
The DUI example is just not the right type of comparison.

If you smoked a cigarette a month, do you really think it would have an impact on anything?

Have you ever taken aspirin?

Have you ever taken any drugs, as medicine I mean?

It’s not as simple as you might want it to be.[/quote]

Ok, I hate to perpetuate this. But apparently, there is truth to the claim that aspartame converts to methanol, then formaldehyde and formic acid in the body. Of course, methanol is a normal product of human metabolism (around 10mg per day). A can of soda adds about 20mg of methanol to your diet.

I’m not going to leap to any conclusions, but this freaks me the hell out. I’m cutting down to a can per day.

For most people with a healthy metabolism I don’t see a reason to consume aspartame even if it is completely safe, since most people can burn off the sugar anyway (or could use the extra kcal) plus it tastes like crap. Most people I see who drink diet drinks are fat allready and extremely addicted to coffein.

Personally I don’t consume protein powder with aspartame anymore because it gives acne (despite me not having any usually) and it’s just as convenient buying chocolate milk instead.