Asparagus Pee?

Lately I’ve taken a liking to asparagus. Goes great with baked salmon or tuna. I usually steam it, and put a dollop of butter or melted cheese on it.

I’ve noticed a interesting, yet peculiar phenomenon. Within hours, my urine will smell so God-awful, I want to hurl. The stench lingers for quite some time and my pee will be rancid for the next few trips to the bathroom.

At first, I thought it was because of the salmon or tuna, but I believe I’ve narrowed it down to the asparagus. Is there a chemical in it that is excreted in the urine? Are there any other types of foods that may cause this?

For now, I will look to other veggies as a side dish. :stuck_out_tongue:

-Alex

It is a natural effect of eating asparagus. Here is a website that may help you understand it. My own experience is that it seems to lessen after a while. I used to have the odor too, but I either got used to it or it went away. This article suggests I have gotten used to it: http://www.greenworks.tv/askgreenworks/asparagus.htm

It’s the asparagus that makes your pee small funny. So don’t eat it fi you don’t want your pee to smell funny.

Really if you eat a lot of anything there’s a good chance you’re going to smell like it in some way or another. I know if I eat a lot of garlic I can definitely smell it on me the next day.

Thanks tlmorrison. That’s exactly what I was looking for.

I guess I’ll just deal with the rank pee. I love my asparagus!

-Alex

Heh, I can’t believe you didn’t know about that. :wink: Brussel sprouts do the same thing (in fact, I think they make it smell worse).

My piss smells like coffee more often than not. But coffee piss isn’t quite as nasty as asparagus piss…

Asparagus is notorious for having a similar effect on the ol’ man juices.

Try eating a handful of rosebuds…