Asking Professor X's Knowlege

Professor X,

Ive read a hell of a lot of your posts and am quite interested, what was your routine structure early days that you found got you in excess of 240Lbs…What split routine and rest days before repeating did you have…was it a 4 way, 3 way or more…

Also read that you would train lagging body parts how would you include this extra session into your rouitine…im 100% committed to my diet and trainnig and have the time to train any day of the week and as many times…what would you recommend to help really build some size…im currently around the 195 mark…

also do you pyramid up to your heaviest set and what would this increase each set look like for example…and does this mean you would take your final working set for the exercise to failiure…?

one more thing how many exercises would you do per session depedning on the muscle group and do you feel say back needs more then others…?

appreciate your time and if their are any other experienced bodybuilders that have suggestions im all ears…Thanks again

Anthony

Don’t make him write it again.

Like Kakno wrote, I am pretty sure I covered most of that in the thread linked and more.

Other than that, I’ve trained on average about 6 days a week for about 10 years. I like being in the gym and believe making it a regular part of your day keeps you in line and on track the rest of the day.

I have been working on bringing up triceps. I train triceps with at least cable press downs almost every training session in between sets for other body parts. They are responding. I remember doing the same for my back a long time ago where we would start nearly every training session doing about 3 sets of pull ups no matter what we trained that day.

Pofessor X what you teach?

Let’s turn this into a ProfX appreciation thread:

Personally, from starting out at 140lbs and squatting 125lbs, there’s no way I probably ever would have cracked 200lbs in bodyweight or would be squatting what I am now without reading his posts early on about eating.

That, and his willingness to argue against people in the Beginners forum and such is a real service, even if I have no idea how he has the time or patience to do so.

/tip of the hat

Or, we can just let the thread die.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
Or, we can just let the thread die.[/quote]

If not it’ll undoubtedly result in another Q/A asking all the same questions…

Professor X,

I have read the other thread, i can see you are a clear avocate of volume/time, i concur.

i was just wondering if you have ever treid regularly to work multiple (large) bodyparts 2-3 per week. There was a thread here on T-Nation about this exact topic, i know its generally advocated toward standard splits, ie. Chest, Back, Legs, Shoulders, Arms, But have you ever tried something like Chest/Back, shoulders/arms, legs repeat.

I know as i started training slightly higher volume, the main problem was after a compound excercise such as bench presses with 315lbs, then hitting something like Pullups/seated row. It was intially hard to adopt to, I was so tired, but i find now im used to it and recover faster between training sessions then before. Sometimes though time permitting i trsin say Chest AM, then Back PM, 2 shorter sessions are definatly better.

Just to clarify, im not talking about supersetting bodyparts, e.g. 4-5 sets bench, 4-5 sets seated row, 4-5 sets pullups, incline dumbell bench would be a sample routine.

ty

Professor x,

I have read your other thread, i was wondering if you had any views on higher frequency of training, grouping 1-2 (larger) body parts together with one another. Generally i see traditional Chest, Back, Legs, Shoulders, Arms routines. Have you ever tried something like Chest/Back, Shoulders/Arms, Legs. There was another thread on T-Nation about this exact topic, i was wondering if you could provide any insight.

I know that intensity is often a topic discussed, i understand that after hitting say 315lbs for reps on Bench, you may be to ‘tired’ to work back. Although i find the body quickly adapts and as you are working antagonist muscles, you lose less strength i expected.

Just to clarify, i’m not talking about supersetting bodyparts

Thanks for any input

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Pofessor X what you teach?[/quote]

lol

[quote]Marcello wrote:
Professor X,

I have read the other thread, i can see you are a clear avocate of volume/time, i concur.

i was just wondering if you have ever treid regularly to work multiple (large) bodyparts 2-3 per week. There was a thread here on T-Nation about this exact topic, i know its generally advocated toward standard splits, ie. Chest, Back, Legs, Shoulders, Arms, But have you ever tried something like Chest/Back, shoulders/arms, legs repeat.[/quote]

In the past I have trained chest, shoulders, triceps, biceps several days a week if I was trying to bring them up. That usually meant twice a week because you could end up with joint inflammation if you train muscle groups like chest and shoulders too often to allow recovery.

Expanding on recovery, it doesn’t matter how many times I personally trained a body part. I got away with that because I made damn sure my food intake was allowing weight gain and providing what my body needed. The only body parts I have trained more than twice a week have been smaller muscle groups like biceps and triceps.

This is about your results…and if you are growing from training more often and getting stronger, then clearly it is working.

There is no way I would train chest and back on the same day now. I may have gotten away with that as a newb, but the movements and exercises I do for each are so draining the last trained body part would suffer. My chest needs its own day and back needs its own day.

Thanks Man,

On the the topic of recovery, i saw in one of your training vids at the Biotest lab, you doing a back workout and some rope tricep pushdowns (with what looked to be very light) for 'ative recovery"

Have you tried this before/since? What did you think

I am also curious if you have any views of back off sets, something like working to your heaviest weights, then dropping weight and doing a set of higher reps, i have seen bodybuilders such as Kai Green and a number of strongman but no personal experience

[quote]Marcello wrote:
Thanks Man,

On the the topic of recovery, i saw in one of your training vids at the Biotest lab, you doing a back workout and some rope tricep pushdowns (with what looked to be very light) for 'ative recovery"

Have you tried this before/since? What did you think[/quote]

I do it all of the time now. I mostly do it for triceps in between sets for other muscle groups. The increased stimulation has led to more growth.

I do that sometimes. It all depends on how I feel that day. Generally, if I do something like that, I have already worked up to my heaviest set but felt there was more left in the tank so I added more volume.