Asking for Too Much Out of Life?

Since we seem to be discussing careers and jobs and money and whatnot lately, I thought I’d add something that was on my mind for quite a while now:
A wife, 3 kids, a house in the Rockaways (by Jacob Riis Park) in NY, a dog, 2 cars, and 2 vacations per year-each of them lasting for 6 months. Ok maybe not the last thing.

1. Is this too much to want these days? Too little?
  2. How much do you think I would need to make to achieve this?
  3. What are your long-term goals?

flame suit at ready, just in case

PS: This is like the 4th time I’m trying to post this. So if there’s multiple identical threads, then I’m sorry

I think the worst think you can do in life is accept less than what you want out of it.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I think the worst think you can do in life is accept less than what you want out of it. [/quote]

x2

[quote]PaddyM wrote:
belligerent wrote:
I think the worst think you can do in life is accept less than what you want out of it.

x2

[/quote]

x3

BUT, it’s also about appreciating what you have right now and enjoying the little things in life. Keep in mind that life can take it all away in a heartbeat.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
PaddyM wrote:
belligerent wrote:

x2

x3

BUT, it’s also about appreciating what you have right now and enjoying the little things in life. Keep in mind that life can take it all away in a heartbeat.[/quote]

Weird…A dude I work with walked into the office this morning with the news he has about five years to live…no joke. A month ago he had the “good type of cancer to have” …that has now changed.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
BUT, it’s also about appreciating what you have right now and enjoying the little things in life. Keep in mind that life can take it all away in a heartbeat.[/quote]

I’m totally about this!
Too many people feel like it’s their right to have everything they desire. And too many don’t learn simple lessons from those who’ve lost everything (including life) in that heartbeat.

Good advice from everyone so far. What I have learned in my short time on this planet is that people always seem to “want” stuff, but few are willing to do what it takes to get it. If that is really what you want, then go and get it. Realize that things worth having are rarely easy to acquire and you will likely have to make significant sacrifices to acquire such things.

I also note that sometimes people spend an inordinant amount of time trying to acquire something that they really do not want. I am guilty of doing that once and I still scratch my head as to why it was so important to me. After my divorce, I realized that I spent way too much time chasing material things to please my ex-wife. I have been lucky enough to have focused on enjoying the simple pleasures that life offers. Got me a girl that feels the same way too. Guess my point is that you need to really think about what you want and not chase after things because society tells you that is what you should chase after. Fuck the Joneses. Life is short and money is scarce. Make your efforts count.

I have no idea what your wish list would cost. Too vague to make even a guess.

What the hell? You already have a smokin’ gf, and you’re wanting more?
I don’t know what the Rockaways is, but that seems like a pretty solid list.

[quote]Anthony50 wrote:
What the hell? You already have a smokin’ gf, and you’re wanting more?
[/quote]

No more advice until we see pics…

Some good points so far. Thanks.

[quote]Anthony50:What the hell? You already have a smokin’ gf, and you’re wanting more?
I don’t know what the Rockaways is, but that seems like a pretty solid list. [/quote]

Lol like having a hot gf is everything? On top of that she’s awesome and funny. but that’s not the point.
Rockaway Park is this neighborhood I’d like to live in one day
http://www.eastmeetswestsuperbchinesefoods.com/image/img_531388_1168040096717.gif

Let me put it this way: it’s so white that if you’re italian-you’re black. If it makes any sense

Do not let yourself think that money or possesions will make you happy, work to be happy and let money and items be a conselation prize.

All you really need is boobs in the face…

Lots of really good replys, IF you think living in a certain place or having a certain amount of money will make you HAPPY, you will never be happy. The only thing those material things will bring you is comfort. Comfort is not happiness though. Happiness comes from within, and it matters not what your current social or material status is. It is a state of mind, learn to get there on your own and teach other to do the same. That way, fuck, just roll with life, I mean it’s never a bad idea to have some sort of a plan or long term goals, but if you already have happiness, then you are not chasing happiness, you are just trying to make some buck so you can have some toys etc… My wife started out being a little materialistic, I have helped see the world for more than the materialistic place she thought it was. She still enjoys nice things, as do I, but it’s not the end of the world if we can’t get something right now, and to the contrary, roughing it or not having things can be a rewarding experience in it’s own special way.

V

[quote]jCaesar88 wrote:

Lol like having a hot gf is everything? On top of that she’s awesome and funny. but that’s not the point.
Rockaway Park is this neighborhood I’d like to live in one day
http://www.eastmeetswestsuperbchinesefoods.com/image/img_531388_1168040096717.gif

Let me put it this way: it’s so white that if you’re italian-you’re black. If it makes any sense[/quote]

Well it may not be everything, but it’s a start.
Now you need to figure out how YOU’D like to get there.

Yah I just want to live modestly and be able to travel. I also want to look awesome…

[quote]Vegita wrote:…but if you already have happiness, then you are not chasing happiness, you are just trying to make some buck so you can have some toys etc… it’s not the end of the world if we can’t get something right now, and to the contrary, roughing it or not having things can be a rewarding experience in it’s own special way.

V[/quote]

This. Definitely this. It’s not that I think that having those things will bring about happiness. I simply like that neighborhood, that’s all.
And not to say that money is everything, BUT better chance that you can BECOME happier if you have more money as opposed to being broke.
My way of thinking: if i have more than sufficient finances, I can take my family to see places and experience things, which in turn makes me even happier.
I don’t think that what I just said is disputable, but if you (or anyone) have something to add, i’ll be more than happy to listen. But I think we’re on the same page

[quote]jCaesar88 wrote:
Vegita wrote:…but if you already have happiness, then you are not chasing happiness, you are just trying to make some buck so you can have some toys etc… it’s not the end of the world if we can’t get something right now, and to the contrary, roughing it or not having things can be a rewarding experience in it’s own special way.

V

This. Definitely this. It’s not that I think that having those things will bring about happiness. I simply like that neighborhood, that’s all.
And not to say that money is everything, BUT better chance that you can BECOME happier if you have more money as opposed to being broke.
My way of thinking: if i have more than sufficient finances, I can take my family to see places and experience things, which in turn makes me even happier.
I don’t think that what I just said is disputable, but if you (or anyone) have something to add, i’ll be more than happy to listen. But I think we’re on the same page[/quote]

Have you read/seen Into the Wild? It talks a lot about this, and people’s ties to things and how that affects your happiness.
Personally, I think it’s whatever works for you. Both ways (having luxuries, or roughing it) it just depends on you and how you look at things.

No I dont think what you desire is to much to ask. Really,nothing is. Hell,Id love to make lots of money and buy my happiness aswell. I think to many people that im surrounded by are “fine” with things the way they are. THey have no ambition,no drive. They just want to stay put. I work at a major retail store as a stocker (dont laugh,this isent my career,im a college student) and Ive seen guys that have worked beside me that have been there for years and have no plans to move up in the ladder. Everyday I work there im reminded of what I DONT want. Same ole,Same ole. My long term goals are the same as yours; A slim,stacked,short white wife (Is this racist,btw? I love white girls…) I want a nice,small…abit modern comtemporary house,and a R5 Audi. Now is that to much to ask? Perhaps but in the society we live in (Im assuming most people here are Americans) Greed is good.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:
Greed is good. [/quote]

That is the cheat code to get max money. Be careful where you type that.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
PaddyM wrote:
belligerent wrote:

x2

x3

Don’t expect anything from life. Don’t expect anything from other people.
But you should expect things about yourself.