Ask Moshe

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
Combat veterans means combat veterans. It means you were in what was designated a combat area, whether official or not.
[/quote]

WTF?[/quote]

? I’m telling you what combat veterans mean. It can be anything from just being in a warzone to actually having shot someone or been shot. That’s the definition of a combat veteran.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
Combat veterans means combat veterans. It means you were in what was designated a combat area, whether official or not.
[/quote]

WTF?[/quote]

? I’m telling you what combat veterans mean. It can be anything from just being in a warzone to actually having shot someone or been shot. That’s the definition of a combat veteran.
[/quote]

Shit? You mean the guy at the pub who broke my nose makes me a vet?

Okay some people may be confused and most won’t give a shit. When I first started posting I described myself as a 9th gen Irishman. It is true that I have a great deal of Celtic blood running through my veins. However, technically I am also a kyke! The two are not mutually exclusive.

As I explained one has four grandparents, eight great grandparents, 16 great great grandparents etc. This is an exponential equation. Shortly before my mother passed away she took a DNA test as she was very interested in her Irish heritage. The site she choose has very few Jewish contributors and is mainly for people with interests in Irish genealogy.

My mother was always embarrassed about her maternal grandmother as she was very dark skinned and would be called ‘abo’(riginal) and so on. There was also a family mystery as to her origins. Well these were the results that arrived. On the left is the country, then the ethnic group, then the number of matches from that group. All groups are included and the number next to it is the number of people with the same DNA mutations indicating close relationship. It’s an mt-DNA test that exclusively measures the maternal line:

Algeria , Ashkenazi (1)
Armenia, Sephardic (3)
Austria, Viennese (1)
Azerbaijan, Mizrachi (6)
Belarus, Ashkenazi (7)
Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sephardic (9)
Czech Republic, Bohemian (2)
England, Cornwall (5)
France, Ashkenazi (3)
Georgia, Mizrachi (1), Alsace (1), Ashkenazi (6), Baden-Wuttemberg (4)
Germany Brandenberg (1), North Rhineland (1), Prussia (6), Prussia-Bavaria(1), Saarland (1), Saxony(1)Schleswig-Holstein (1)
Greece Ashkenazi (3)
Hungary Ashkenazi (2)
India Bnei Israel (2)
Iran Mizrachi (3)
Iraq Kurdistan Mizrachi (1) and Mizrachi (1)
Israel Bedouin (1) Palestinian (6) Ashkenazi (9)
Latvia Ashkenazi, (3)
Libya Sephardic (5)
Lithuania Ashkenazi (7)
Lithuanua Vilna (2) Vilna was an Ashkenazi stronghold
Morocco Ashkenazi, Sephardic (26)
Netherlands Ashkenazi, (4)
Poland Ashkenazi (15), Prussia (9), East Prussia (4), West Prussia (1) Upper Silesia (1)
Portugal Azores and Madeira - look up the history of these islands during the inquisition if interested
Romania Ashkenazi (11)
Russian Federation Ashkenazi (15) the village of Cherkes (Ashkenazi 1) was an Ashkenazi stronghold
Saudi Arabia, Sephardic (1)
Scotland Sephardic (1)
Spain Canary Islands - again the history of these islands during the inquisition was interesting
Turkey Sephardic (19)
Ukraine Ashkenazi (14) Galatia (1)
United Kingdom Ashkenazi (1)
Uzbekistan Mizrachi (1)

Starting to see a pattern here. And great responsibilities. Sh’ma Yisra’eil Adonai Eloheinu Adonai echad.

PS I realise I would never fit in to an orthodox or even neo-orthodox community but I am studying Hebrew and studying Tanakh. To be honest I don’t why Jews would want to attempt to recreate the lives their ancestors lived in in Europe generations ago. But that’s not for me to judge. BTW my father’s maternal line (Y-DNA) contained not a single Jew.

And I think the small number of results from Israel represents the facts that Israel is a small country whose populace already know they are Jews. American results not included as the list is huge and mostly contains the acronym MDKO (most distant known origin,) which tends to be recorded by the resultant as a country in Europe as opposed to an ethnic group. I also don’t think many Hasidic and Haredi Jews in NY are wondering about their ancestry.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
[/quote]

WTF?[/quote]

[/quote]

Shit? You mean the guy at the pub who broke my nose makes me a vet?[/quote]

You’re an idiot.

Quit mucking up the thread gentleman, it is a Q&A after all.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
[/quote]

WTF?[/quote]

[/quote]

Shit? You mean the guy at the pub who broke my nose makes me a vet?[/quote]

You’re an idiot.
[/quote]

Should I put a question mark or try to think of something witty? Nah! Fucking drongo.

http://www.sunburntcountry.au.com/sayings/insults.html

I know some great sites on remedial reading too!

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
Quit mucking up the thread gentleman, it is a Q&A after all.[/quote]

Hey I asked for all my stuff to be moved to another thread! Haven’t seen many questions recently anyway. Look forward to some.

I couldn’t help it. 35 German paras got ‘hurt’ coupla years back in a jump. Ouchie!

Did I mention 7000+ fallshirmjagers died in 1941 taking a single airfield in Crete. I guess that’s what my PTSD comment was kind of related to.

Anyways, sorry back to Q and A.

Could you give more insight on the Chinese Jewish community?

Its history, culture etc and perhaps some other not well known Jewish communities that vanished.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
I couldn’t help it. 35 German paras got ‘hurt’ coupla years back in a jump. Ouchie!

Did I mention 7000+ fallshirmjagers died in 1941 taking a single airfield in Crete. I guess that’s what my PTSD comment was kind of related to.

Anyways, sorry back to Q and A.[/quote]

I get what you are saying. My point is asking Moshe to tell you what each of those veterans did to receive “combat veteran” status is ridiculous. Each experience is obviously different.

It’s the same in every military environment.

I responded the way I did b/c you were obviously trying to bait a certain answer. Rather, you should have just said what you just said.

I apologize if calling you an idiot hurt your feelings. I was annoyed by your response and should not have responded that way.

Done. Sorry Moshe.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

I get what you are saying. My point is asking Moshe to tell you what each of those veterans did to receive “combat veteran” status is ridiculous. Each experience is obviously different.
[/quote]

I see what you’re saying but that is NOT what I was trying to do. Not being a vet I do have a fascination for the subject and for PTSD which affected my family. Obviously anyone not completely nuts would experience extreme responses from the horrors of war. War also holds a fascination for me and relates directly to human nature.

Not quite but Israel has kicked ass multiple times.

Yeah sorry Moshe. Got some good questions for you when I have the time.

[quote]edmontonalberta wrote:
Its history, culture etc and perhaps some other not well known Jewish communities that vanished.[/quote]

They’re not allowed to eat noodles from made from unleavened bread or they have to go back to Egypt. Seriously, if JB or someone else doesn’t have the time I’ll post the little I know(very little) some time later.

Its history, culture etc and perhaps some other not well known Jewish communities that vanished.[/quote]

In the meantime: http://www.sino-judaic.org/index.php?page=kaifeng_jews_history\

Indian Jews are interesting too and I know for a fact that the population is very anti-Semitic. Check out some of the Indian holocaust denial stories in major peer reviewed publications(most Indians would never even have met a Jew,) and the fact that Hitler’s autobiography is extremely popular there. I read an articleon about Indian Jews recently and could go on but don’t wish to continue to hi-jack. Also, if I’m not mistaken JB believes both the oral and written Torah to be the literal word of Hashem.

I thought Israel and India had great relations. I can see that perhaps Muslims in India would not like the Jewish people though.

Chief Rabbi of Israel, Yona Metzger said
“For thousands of years we have marched on parallel causes and have now built bridges of cooperation between the two religions. Jews have lived in India for over 2000 years and have never been discriminated against. This is something unparalleled in human history”

Mr. Jewbacca, this Yona Metzger guy, from what I read, sounds pretty interesting. I don’t really have a question other then could you share some interesting things to say about him?

Thoughts on the passing of Ariel Sharon JB?

I tend to think of him as a warrior. He was a ferocious military leader, and his politics tended to follow the same approach.

Could you give more insight on the Chinese Jewish community?

Sure, there are four known “waves” (more like ripples) of Jewish immigration into China.

1. Refugees from the Roman destruction/war (60-70CE)
  2. Various traders during the middle ages/dark ages
  3. Russian Pogroms in the early 1900s
  4. World War II

Not much is left of #1. There is the remnant of a synagogue and some records and placards. Various European missionaries came across one group and discovered a very, very old Torah, which could not be read by the population, which had intermarried. The population maintained Jewish dietary laws (in fact, Judaism was known in China as Tiao jin jiao — "the religion which removes the sinew) — it’s now Youtairen as I learned on a recent trip to China (on business).

A page of that Torah (Genesis 1) had been inscribed on a monument in Hebrew with a request for anyone who could read it to stop and help the people so they could read their holy book.

A Catholic priest saw it, recognized it for what it was, and somehow snagged the Torah in the 1600s. It’s now in the Vatican, I believe.

As for #2, Marco Polo, the famed explorer who “discovered” China found the marketplace in Beijing to be run by Jewish people in the 1300s. They had followed the Silk Road and prospered.

3 and 4 are interesting. Literally 10s of thousands of Jewish people fled to China during this time — helped by Hitler’s “Mein Kampf.” The Chinese read this book, decided Jews were hard working and had magic influence with money, and were ideal immigrants and leaders.

Having been to China 8 times in the last decade, I will tell you that that belief still is pretty common among Chinese. They also like Israel because it is an “old” country like China.

The Communist were pretty hard on the Jews and many fled to Israel.

++++++++

Today, there are various non-Chinese Jewish people in China in the various ports and big cities.

The last remnant of the ancient Jewish immigrants are largely mixed with the native populations, such that they appear ethnically Chinese. This group is called the Kaifeng Jews.

They are of Jewish origin, but are probably not Jewish under Jewish law or even the law of return for Israel, in that Judaism is maternally-passed and the records were not kept. Long story short, there are a lot of Jewish people in China who don’t know they are Jewish and a lot of people who identify as Jewish who might not be.

They do keep some traditions: no pork, no shellfish, a form of Passover, and tend to wear a yarmulke.

This group experienced a lot of persecution by the Communist (who are atheists and, as such, have a natural dislike of Jewish people) but starting in the last 20-30 years, have begun learning Hebrew, having a proper bris and (because lineage is unclear) conversion to Judaism. A handful have immigrated to Israel, in fact.